Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
It's pretty lame to do a big buildup/marketing campaign for something that's actually negative. Like, even if it was something meh/neutral/only-slightly-positive (e.g., blue pants, Boomer, a prospect signing), okay it maybe wasn't necessary, but at least no real harm.

Kinda messed up to get people excited for something that no one wants.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
Idk why we don't have an outdoor game at lower.com stadium if the plumbing at the shoe sucks

There have been outdoor NHL games of 26,119...33,518...29,516...33,959...33,240..., so 20,317 capacity at Lower isn't the end of the world

I think everybody is stuck on trying to put 100,000 people in the shoe just because Michigan got 105,000 for their NHL game back in 2014. Big deal. Make it an intimate setting...20k people going nuts... and start a trend having these games at soccer fields which are much better equipped for hockey rink than sitting forever away at an NFL, MLB or college football stadium

Or we don't have to have it on January 1st at the shoe. These Stadium Series games are happening at the end of February or even there has been a game in October and March. Certainly you can count on the plumbing in October or March or late February. I am looking out my window at the Bridge Park skating rink that can be open at 60 degrees! Or let's host the first NHL playoff game at the shoe! I still think soccer stadiums is a decent idea

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's pretty lame to do a big buildup/marketing campaign for something that's actually negative. Like, even if it was something meh/neutral/only-slightly-positive (e.g., blue pants, Boomer, a prospect signing), okay it maybe wasn't necessary, but at least no real harm.

Kinda messed up to get people excited for something that no one wants.
I think that’s why they quickly revealed what the surprise was going to be about once they got everyone riled up. I don’t think they thought it would get that much attention

Reactions: DJA

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I think it would be insulting to the fanbase if it was in Cleveland instead of Columbus.

I think fans would understand if OSU wouldnt let it happen. And Cleveland is the home of our AHL affiliate. Maybe do a Monsters / Rochester game one day and Jackets / Sabres the next. Make it a weekend of hockey. Maybe OSU / Miami as well.

The new Crew stadium could be a cool place to play, though, especially if Columbus wanted to feature all the non OSU stuff going on.

There should be ZERO association with OSU. What have they ever done to support the Jackets?
Hosting an outdoor game in Cleveland would be an absolute blow to Columbus and the CBJ fanbase. Nothing against Cleveland; great sports town. And yes, an outdoor game in Cleveland on the shores of Lake Erie in the middle of winter would be a sight. But CBJ is a COLUMBUS team. And Columbus has a great potential venue.

New Crew stadium might be a cool venue as far as location, food, atmosphere, etc., but it doesn't have nearly the seating capacity necessary to host an outdoor game. Crew stadium seats approximately 20,000. NHL wants 50,000 +.

For those not college football fans, beyond just the football history and its ubiquitous connection to Columbus, the 'Shoe has 100,000+ capacity. The Shoe would be OVERFLOWING (with fans, not toilet backups, lol), especially if the opponent is Pittsuburgh, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit (or even Toronto, assuming Covid restrictions are gone by then). All of those fanbases travel well. And It's ok to have a decent percentage (but not majority) of the fans from the visiting team's fanbase at an outdoor game - the NYD outdoor game has proven to be an awesome road trip.

I would hope that OSU gets over itself (if they in fact remain the stumbling block). The plumbing issue is easy to resolve, especially with likely playoff expansion in college football with at least one round of games on campus. Gene Smith is nuts if he thinks OSU should move a game to Indy so it could be indoors - let's give up an earned homefield advantage. They play football in January outdoors in most NFL stadiums.

While I am a big OSU fan, I understand the dislike of some CBJ fans toward OSU because of historical headbutting over arena at the outset, etc... But if we want CBJ to host an outdoor game, the 'Shoe is the only viable option in Columbus. Not only would the stadium be instantly recognized on national TV as Columbus, but the history of the building is amazing. Yes, also the opportunity to break the Michigan Stadium record for hockey, but that's not that big of an item on my list. Bigger picture, it might just start a good relationship between two major league sports organizations that could bear fruit down the road. The existence of two 19,000 seat arenas in a city the size of Columbus, within a few miles of one another, creates all kinds of possibilities for co-hosting (or even creating) massive sporting events.

Last edited:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Idk why we don't have an outdoor game at lower.com stadium if the plumbing at the shoe sucks

There have been outdoor NHL games of 26,119...33,518...29,516...33,959...33,240..., so 20,317 capacity at Lower isn't the end of the world

I think everybody is stuck on trying to put 100,000 people in the shoe just because Michigan got 105,000 for their NHL game back in 2014. Big deal. Make it an intimate setting...20k people going nuts... and start a trend having these games at soccer fields which are much better equipped for hockey rink than sitting forever away at an NFL, MLB or college football stadium

Or we don't have to have it on January 1st at the shoe. These Stadium Series games are happening at the end of February or even there has been a game in October and March. Certainly you can count on the plumbing in October or March or late February. I am looking out my window at the Bridge Park skating rink that can be open at 60 degrees! Or let's host the first NHL playoff game at the shoe! I still think soccer stadiums is a decent idea
The only difference between the seat-to-ice distance at Lower.com and the Shoe is that Lower.com essentially = the lower portion of A-Deck at the Shoe. The baseball stadiums do create too much distance between the ice and the seats, but the football-exclusive stadiums create essentially the same layout as a soccer stadium. Personally, I'd prefer getting as many people in attendance as possible. Not so much because of the Michigan record (although that would be nice to break), but to extend the CBJ brand and atmosphere to 70,000 from Ohio while still entertaining the 30,000 from Toronto/Buffalo/etc.

Having capacity of 20,000 will make for tickets impossible to get. 100,000 will still be a tough ticket.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hosting an outdoor game in Cleveland would be an absolute blow to Columbus and the CBJ fanbase. Nothing against Cleveland; great sports town. And yes, an outdoor game in Cleveland on the shores of Lake Erie in the middle of winter would be a sight. But CBJ is a COLUMBUS team. And Columbus has a great potential venue.

New Crew stadium might be a cool venue as far as location, food, atmosphere, etc., but it doesn't have nearly the seating capacity necessary to host an outdoor game. Crew stadium seats approximately 20,000. NHL wants 50,000 +.

For those not college football fans, beyond just the football history and its ubiquitous connection to Columbus, the 'Shoe has 100,000+ capacity. The Shoe would be OVERFLOWING (with fans, not toilet backups, lol), especially if the opponent is Pittsuburgh, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit (or even Toronto, assuming Covid restrictions are gone by then). All of those fanbases travel well. And It's ok to have a decent percentage (but not majority) of the fans from the visiting team's fanbase at an outdoor game - the NYD outdoor game has proven to be an awesome road trip.

I would hope that OSU gets over itself (if they in fact remain the stumbling block). The plumbing issue is easy to resolve, especially with likely playoff expansion in college football with at least one round of games on campus. Gene Smith is nuts if he thinks OSU should move a game to Indy so it could be indoors - let's give up an earned homefield advantage. They play football in January outdoors in most NFL stadiums.

While I am a big OSU fan, I understand the dislike of some CBJ fans toward OSU because of historical headbutting over arena at the outset, etc... But if we want CBJ to host an outdoor game, the 'Shoe is the only viable option in Columbus. Not only would the stadium be instantly recognized on national TV as Columbus, but the history of the building is amazing. Yes, also the opportunity to break the Michigan Stadium record for hockey, but that's not that big of an item on my list. Bigger picture, it might just start a good relationship between two major league sports organizations that could bear fruit down the road. The existence of two 19,000 seat arenas in a city the size of Columbus, within a few miles of one another, creates all kinds of possibilities for co-hosting (or even creating) massive sporting events.
You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Hell, do an OSU-UofM game beforehand and then do CBJ-Detroit (would be funny for the red vs blue in college being flipped by the NHL teams).

OSU is a bunch of morons coming up with excuses about "winterizing." They host football games in <30 degree weather and snow.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The discussion was about playing a game in Cleveland..

Why include them?
Er. No it wasn't. You followed up on a post that was in response to talking about how Cleveland hosting would be an egregious mistake and a massive blow to the franchise and fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad