Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
giphy.gif

Reactions: CBJ AZ goalie

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Monk said:
Seth Jones doesn't have more obligation to make a public statement than any other player.

Respectfully, I disagree. He's an alternate captain on the biggest professional sports franchise in the city. Nick Foligno came out with his own statement. Cam Atkinson yesterday put out his own statement and said he was making donations. They, perhaps to some, don't rise to the level of Toews, Seguin, or Bergeron, but they used their platforms in this moment beyond re-tweeting their team's statement. Seth shared (and then maybe deleted, I believe) a post which Jack Eichel shared, and Eichel was ridiculed for it because of the tone deafness and perceived "fence sitting" of the post.

I wasn't aware Seth did an interview with The Athletic (I've kind of glossed over sports reporting for awhile now, checking in only to see when games may resume).
CBJWennberg10 said:
What are your thoughts about what’s going on in the world right now, the protests in Columbus and all over the country, in the wake of George Floyd’s murder at the hands of police in Minneapolis?

Man, add it to the list of things in 2020, right? It’s been pretty insane. Being down here in the Arena District, I hear the protestors every night. I think they were down here (in the Arena District on Monday) night. It was pretty peaceful, but there were sirens and everything. I’m all for … obviously it’s awful what happened to the guy (George Floyd) in Minnesota). It’s completely unacceptable and we definitely need to see change. I appreciate the protestors going out and doing what they’re doing. I would say the violent part of it — breaking windows and destroying local businesses — probably wouldn’t be the way I’d go about it. I don’t believe that’s helping anybody by destroying your own city. But I do recognize and appreciate the protests. And it’s not just me, but everybody who wants to see change. It’s just gone on for too long.

Many, many athletes have made statements on social media in recent days. Evander Kane and Anthony Duclair have been particularly strong. What is the responsibility and what is the obligation of a player in times like this?

I think everybody — whether you’re an athlete or not — should feel just fine with saying whatever you want to say. You’re allowed to believe whatever you want to believe, or say whatever you want to say, whether it’s right or wrong. We see a lot of athletes talking about this situation right now because that’s what we’re focused on. And I know there’s been talk in the NHL the last few years, especially after the Akim Aliu thing came out this year. I’ve seen a bunch of NHL players comment, and it’s definitely appreciated. The more you can talk about it, the more awareness it creates, and awareness can lead to change.

Does the societal response seem different this time?

It may be compounded because everybody’s been locked up in quarantine, maybe. I’m sure you saw the video (of Floyd’s murder). That video was obviously horrific. The way it happened may have sparked a bigger outrage than in the past. Just the way the cop went about that. It was pretty gruesome and gross. That may spark it a little bit. I can understand the anger and frustration.

-"awful what happened to the guy in Minnesota" - can't bring himself to say Geroge Floyd's name
-"we definitely need to see change" - ok, what change do you mean?
-"I appreciate the protests and everybody wants to see change." - this is...just nothing, again.
-"The more you can talk about it, the more awareness it creates, and awareness can lead to change." - maybe I'm missing it, but has Seth addressed racism at all in the game of hockey? He noted Aliu's article, but does Seth have any thoughts? Any ideas? By his own standard (creating awareness can lead to change) has he done anything to create awareness?
-He doesn't say "racism" in any of these answers. He says nothing on police brutality. He says nothing on racism in hockey other than he appreciates *other NHL players commenting on it.*
-This is really a bunch of nothing answers. His only original thoughts are George Floyd dying = bad, we need change, and the protestors are appreciated.

Compare it to Nick Foligno, who used his public platform to declare he would work to be part of the solution. Or Cam Atkinson, who donated to the NCAAP Columbus Chapter and the Conscious Kid Foundation. Seth's answers (and use of his platform/s) don't display leadership to me. You take on certain expectations when you accept a letter on your sweater.

Reactions: majormajor

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Respectfully, I disagree. He's an alternate captain on the biggest professional sports franchise in the city. Nick Foligno came out with his own statement. Cam Atkinson yesterday put out his own statement and said he was making donations. They, perhaps to some, don't rise to the level of Toews, Seguin, or Bergeron, but they used their platforms in this moment beyond re-tweeting their team's statement. Seth shared (and then maybe deleted, I believe) a post which Jack Eichel shared, and Eichel was ridiculed for it because of the tone deafness and perceived "fence sitting" of the post.

I wasn't aware Seth did an interview with The Athletic (I've kind of glossed over sports reporting for awhile now, checking in only to see when games may resume).

-"awful what happened to the guy in Minnesota" - can't bring himself to say Geroge Floyd's name
-"we definitely need to see change" - ok, what change do you mean?
-"I appreciate the protests and everybody wants to see change." - this is...just nothing, again.
-"The more you can talk about it, the more awareness it creates, and awareness can lead to change." - maybe I'm missing it, but has Seth addressed racism at all in the game of hockey? He noted Aliu's article, but does Seth have any thoughts? Any ideas? By his own standard (creating awareness can lead to change) has he done anything to create awareness?
-He doesn't say "racism" in any of these answers. He says nothing on police brutality. He says nothing on racism in hockey other than he appreciates *other NHL players commenting on it.*
-This is really a bunch of nothing answers. His only original thoughts are George Floyd dying = bad, we need change, and the protestors are appreciated.

Compare it to Nick Foligno, who used his public platform to declare he would work to be part of the solution. Or Cam Atkinson, who donated to the NCAAP Columbus Chapter and the Conscious Kid Foundation. Seth's answers (and use of his platform/s) don't display leadership to me. You take on certain expectations when you accept a letter on your sweater.

Jones is a hockey player , maybe he doesn’t get all caught up in all this political garbage , and good for him . Seeing Drew Brees being lamblasted for saying he would continue to stand for the anthem , and why he would , should tell you all you need to know why most choose to stay silent . Because heaven for bid you have an opinion that doesn’t jive with the angry left / cancel culture out there. I personally found it refreshing myself

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Respectfully, I disagree. He's an alternate captain on the biggest professional sports franchise in the city.

Your post made it seem like you called him out because he's black. My apologies if that wasn't the case. Does Boone Jenner deserve the same criticism, or does being Canadian make him exempt?

And ultimately, I don't agree that a professional athlete should be criticized for not "using their platform" in a way that is visible to us. Who knows what he is doing without public knowledge.

PS. The very fact that we're having this conversation is important and I'm very happy it's happening.

Reactions: Monstershockey

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jones is a hockey player , maybe he doesn’t get all caught up in all this political garbage , and good for him . Seeing Drew Brees being lamblasted for saying he would continue to stand for the anthem , and why he would , should tell you all you need to know why most choose to stay silent . Because heaven for bid you have an opinion that doesn’t jive with the angry left / cancel culture out there. I personally found it refreshing myself

You found Drew Brees missing the mark on the point of the protests (still) refreshing?

Yeah it’s totally those GD liberals. :eyeroll:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I am glad Cam said what he said. I am disappointed, though, that he had to do so much tv watching, talking and soul searching to figure out that this is wrong. It has been going on forever. It is tiring and old that certain people just can't accept people are different. I read Akim Aliu's article, then went and read news articles about it, and the comments were just sickening. It also reminded me of Joel Ward, when he was with Washington and scored an overtime winning goal to knock the Rangers out of the playoffs, and the racist comments he received at a time where he should have been celebrating one of the best times of his career. I have no problem with Seth Jones not saying anything. If he did, then he would have to deal with all the racist clowns calling him out. I agree with the protesters. The rioters, looters, and instigators are not protesters. If those cops get a slap on the wrist for this, it will get a whole lot worse.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You found Drew Brees missing the mark on the point of the protests (still) refreshing?

Yeah it’s totally those GD liberals. :eyeroll:

He didn’t miss the mark on the point of the protest , he was asked if he will still stand for the Anthem , and said absolutely , and gave reasons why it’s sacred to him . You can totally be in agreement with someone’s cause , and totally disagree with how it’s implemented . Taking a knee during the anthem was never going to bring awareness to police brutality , because of how they chose to implement their protest , offended the majority of the country, and instead became about the anthem . Find a better way , and their would be more support , instead it became divisive

Reactions: Inquiring Minds

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
He didn’t miss the mark on the point of the protest , he was asked if he will still stand for the Anthem , and said absolutely , and gave reasons why it’s sacred to him . You can totally be in agreement with someone’s cause , and totally disagree with how it’s implemented . Taking a knee during the anthem was never going to bring awareness to police brutality , because of how they chose to implement their protest , offended the majority of the country, and instead became about the anthem . Find a better way , and their would be more support , instead it became divisive

...which would be missing the point of the protests.

If he would have said all the reasons he chooses to stand, but “I know the protests aren’t about the flag, or my relatives in the military. But I disagree with the method of which they bring apart their message. However, I agree with their message and I will do (XYZ) to help do my part to end police brutality among minorities.” Nobody would have batted an eye.

“Offended the majority of the country” all I’ll say to this is lol. The only people who made it about the anthem were the people who were offended. The protests were never and have never been about the flag or the military. Ever.

“find a better way” so people condemned people for silently kneeling during an anthem. Then they condemn people for speaking out on social media and that they should stick to sports. Then they speak out against protesting the police because “that’s who you call whenever you need help.” Then they condemned them for rioting and causing violence “do it the peaceful way like MLK.”

sounds like people just don’t want to hear their voice to me.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
...which would be missing the point of the protests.

If he would have said all the reasons he chooses to stand, but “I know the protests aren’t about the flag, or my relatives in the military. But I disagree with the method of which they bring apart their message. However, I agree with their message and I will do (XYZ) to help do my part to end police brutality among minorities.” Nobody would have batted an eye.

“Offended the majority of the country” all I’ll say to this is lol. The only people who made it about the anthem were the people who were offended. The protests were never and have never been about the flag or the military. Ever.

“find a better way” so people condemned people for silently kneeling during an anthem. Then they condemn people for speaking out on social media and that they should stick to sports. Then they speak out against protesting the police because “that’s who you call whenever you need help.” Then they condemned them for rioting and causing violence “do it the peaceful way like MLK.”

sounds like people just don’t want to hear their voice to me.
When your protest are carried out during the anthem , it absolutely becomes about the flag , not hard to figure out man. And what you said is absolutely BS , Drew has taken a knee prior to the anthem in solidarity. Drew has given 10s if millions of Dollars to victims of hurricane Katrina , and constantly given his money to the less fortunate in that area . That’s walking the walk. Instead the angry left / cancel culture chose to make it that since Drew won’t sacrifice what he holds sacred , because his 2 grandfathers fought in Ww2 , he’s a racist . Anything Drew would have said , that doesn’t result in him saying he would kneel , was going to twitter shame / cancel culture his reputation. That’s mob mentality , and goes back to why I stayed Jones is smart to stay out of it . If you don’t have the bend the knee mentality , you will be demonized. Maybe Jones looked at the facts , that the situation has gotten much better over the past 4 years , rather than what the media tries to push down people’s throats . 10 African Americans were unarmed , and killed by police last yr . 8 of the 10 physically tried to assault the officer/s . That’s from the Washington Post , in a country of 350 million people

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Youre right about one thing, it’s not hard to figure out.
Yep, I have 3 family members , retired military , one was biggest dolphins fan I’ve ever seen , all 3 refuse to watch NFL football for this exact reason . You probably aren’t old enough to have grown up where you started each day in school with the pledge of allegiance , so it may be hard for your to fully comprehend what the flag , the anthem mean to certain people .

Simple question , if it’s not about the flag or the anthem , why not do it before the anthem , like Drew Brees did with his teammates , and like many teams did thru out the year ? Why not do it prior to kickoff , there are all sorts of opportunities to make your protest known , and not alienate a majority of the country . It goes back to the premise that reasonable people can agree change needs to occur , however when you utilize methods that are a no go for a large portion of the country , because we were taught to pay tribute to the hundreds of thousands of people that sacrificed their lives for our freedoms , you lose that consensus .

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
When your protest are carried out during the anthem , it absolutely becomes about the flag , not hard to figure out man. And what you said is absolutely BS , Drew has taken a knee prior to the anthem in solidarity. Drew has given 10s if millions of Dollars to victims of hurricane Katrina , and constantly given his money to the less fortunate in that area . That’s walking the walk. Instead the angry left / cancel culture chose to make it that since Drew won’t sacrifice what he holds sacred , because his 2 grandfathers fought in Ww2 , he’s a racist . Anything Drew would have said , that doesn’t result in him saying he would kneel , was going to twitter shame / cancel culture his reputation. That’s mob mentality , and goes back to why I stayed Jones is smart to stay out of it . If you don’t have the bend the knee mentality , you will be demonized. Maybe Jones looked at the facts , that the situation has gotten much better over the past 4 years , rather than what the media tries to push down people’s throats . 10 African Americans were unarmed , and killed by police last yr . 8 of the 10 physically tried to assault the officer/s . That’s from the Washington Post , in a country of 350 million people

Please watch the video of George Floyd being murdered.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I did, it was terrible , haven’t come across anyone that felt it wasn’t .

If even 1 single event like that could be prevented by kneeling during the anthem, then it's 100 percent worth it. Even if it only affects marginal change toward social justice and reform, it's worth it.

Reactions: We Want Ten

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If even 1 single event like that could be prevented by kneeling during the anthem, then it's 100 percent worth it. Even if it only affects marginal change toward social justice and reform, it's worth it.

I disagree , and it’s not this way or the highway if you want change . Most Americans hold the flag and the anthem sacred , if you don’t think so , then Maybe Leo is just that great of a singer :D. I remember a lot of fans in here disgusted with the Chicago fans yelling during anthem. Change is there to be taken , but it’s not going to happen by such a divisive action . You want to be a beacon of change , you don’t carry that out with actions that turn most people off . Me personally , I put my hand over my heart , remove my hat and pay my respects to the men/ women who sacrificed so I can live in the greatest country on the face of the earth . Same with praying , i will always bow my head , remove my hat .

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yep, I have 3 family members , retired military , one was biggest dolphins fan I’ve ever seen , all 3 refuse to watch NFL football for this exact reason . You probably aren’t old enough to have grown up where you started each day in school with the pledge of allegiance , so it may be hard for your to fully comprehend what the flag , the anthem mean to certain people .

Simple question , if it’s not about the flag or the anthem , why not do it before the anthem , like Drew Brees did with his teammates , and like many teams did thru out the year ? Why not do it prior to kickoff , there are all sorts of opportunities to make your protest known , and not alienate a majority of the country . It goes back to the premise that reasonable people can agree change needs to occur , however when you utilize methods that are a no go for a large portion of the country , because we were taught to pay tribute to the hundreds of thousands of people that sacrificed their lives for our freedoms , you lose that consensus .

You think you're the only one with family in the military? You think all these "left wing liberals" apart of "cancel culture" don't have family in the military either? I have also had many family members in the military, including my uncle who was shot in Vietnam. He and most of my other family members from the military applauded Kaepernick's message/protest. Why? Because its what they fought for, the right to stand up for what you believe in (peacefully) and raise awareness. I understand not everyone feels that way, I can only go by what my family members say/went through.believe. Your family has the same right even if we don't align, although refusing to watch football even as a big fan because of the situation is quite humerus to me because that doesn't affect anyone but them, but if that's their response to what they believe in, then so be it, it's their life.

The things you read on twitter about calling people out for being racists all the time is NOT a true representation of people on the left wing. Not all of us anyway. Just like the stuff liberals read online from people on the right side aren't a true representation of the entirety of the right either. Lumping everyone together, like what you're doing, and what people do on twitter, is why people get so polarized, and how we get in bullshit f***ing situations like we're in. You also need to stop calling the people offended "the majority" of the country, because you can in no way back that up. Maybe the majority of people you know/talk to on the internet, but absolutely no way to prove that for a fact for the country.

If they did their kneeling before the anthem then nobody would have noticed or cared. Sort of like how some players will do a prayer before the game or point to the sky after the anthem, you would have noticed it, but made nothing of it. By doing it during the anthem, people payed attention and thus the questions were asked why it was being done, and thus the message gets relayed of why. It's the same reason why the fists were raised at the 1968 Olympics. If the protests were ABOUT the anthem, the players would have done something that would DISRUPT the anthem, as in booing, turning their backs to the anthem, ignoring the anthem and walking around/doing whatever, or making noise to distract others. It's never been about the anthem, it wasn't in 1968 and it wasn't in 2016 or 2020 either.

I did have to do the pledge of allegiance to the flag all the way up until high school. Your insinuation that it means less to me or I don't know what it means is downright disgusting and I hope you apologize. That's ridiculous and completely out of bounds.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You think you're the only one with family in the military? You think all these "left wing liberals" apart of "cancel culture" don't have family in the military either? I have also had many family members in the military, including my uncle who was shot in Vietnam. He and most of my other family members from the military applauded Kaepernick's message/protest. Why? Because its what they fought for, the right to stand up for what you believe in (peacefully) and raise awareness. I understand not everyone feels that way, I can only go by what my family members say/went through.believe. Your family has the same right even if we don't align, although refusing to watch football even as a big fan because of the situation is quite humerus to me because that doesn't affect anyone but them, but if that's their response to what they believe in, then so be it, it's their life.

The things you read on twitter about calling people out for being racists all the time is NOT a true representation of people on the left wing. Not all of us anyway. Just like the stuff liberals read online from people on the right side aren't a true representation of the entirety of the right either. Lumping everyone together, like what you're doing, and what people do on twitter, is why people get so polarized, and how we get in bullshit f***ing situations like we're in.

If they did their kneeling before the anthem then nobody would have noticed or cared. Sort of like how some players will do a prayer before the game or point to the sky after the anthem, you would have noticed it, but made nothing of it. By doing it during the anthem, people payed attention and thus the questions were asked why it was being done, and thus the message gets relayed of why. It's the same reason why the fists were raised at the 1968 Olympics. If the protests were ABOUT the anthem, the players would have done something that would DISRUPT the anthem, as in booing, turning their backs to the anthem, ignoring the anthem and walking around/doing whatever, or making noise to distract others. It's never been about the anthem, it wasn't in 1968 and it wasn't in 2016 or 2020 either.

I did have to do the pledge of allegiance to the flag all the way up until high school. Your insinuation that it means less to me or I don't know what it means is downright disgusting and I hope you apologize. That's ridiculous and completely out of bounds.
So turning your back during the anthem is an example of protesting the anthem , but kneeling is not about the flag or the anthem? That’s serious gymnastics man. As for the pledge , in no way was it a dig , figured your were pretty young based on your post , pretty sure I saw you were 20 or so. Most schools haven’t done the pledge in quite a long time , so if you still need an apology , Sorry Bro , now go get your shine box, spider . :laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So turning your back during the anthem is an example of protesting the anthem , but kneeling is not about the flag or the anthem? That’s serious gymnastics man. As for the pledge , in no way was it a dig , figured your were pretty young based on your post , pretty sure I saw you were 20 or so. Most schools haven’t done the pledge in quite a long time , so if you still need an apology , Sorry Bro , now go get your shine box, spider . :laugh:

Kneeing = facing the flag, acknowledging the flag, and participating

Facing away = ignoring and not facing, not acknowledging, and not participating.

One is participating, one is ignoring.

This isn't gymnastics and you continue to move the goalposts. But thanks for the half baked apology and enjoy being the only person to ever hit my mute list. Because at the end of the day, you're nothing but an asshole. I tried to talk with you and be civil. It's best if we don't anymore.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
You found Drew Brees missing the mark on the point of the protests
Maybe you can enlighten us on what the point is? Looting the Apple store advances what civil right? Destroying the businesses of people already struggling to get by thanks to this insane lockdown makes us reflect on what civil right being denied? What happened to George Floyd was horrific, but the policemen involved have all been arrested and charged and are waiting trial. What further justice do you want? One final point and let's not fool ourselves, if the policeman who killed Forbes had been black, none of this would be happening. So much for #blacklivesmatter

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Maybe you can enlighten us on what the point is? Looting the Apple store advances what civil right? Destroying the businesses of people already struggling to get by thanks to this insane lockdown makes us reflect on what civil right being denied? What happened to George Floyd was horrific, but the policemen involved have all been arrested and charged and are waiting trial. What further justice do you want? One final point and let's not fool ourselves, if the policeman who killed Forbes had been black, none of this would be happening.

The point: Police brutality is bad, and young minorities are targeted by it.

Looting has been condemned by most of the people involved in the protest. The looting isn't apart of the protest message. It was a response by some individuals who saw an opportunity and took it. While it has been somewhat glorified by people involved, it was never the actual point of the protest. If a few bad apples spoils the entirety of the message for you, you potentially weren't that interested to begin with. Small business being hit by it is really sad, and I feel for those people (my grandfather is affected by this), and I hope they recover. The major companies like Target will recover easily, although that still doesn't make it right. You can condemn the looting and rioting while also agreeing with the message of the original protest.

And yeah, no shit.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Kneeing = facing the flag, acknowledging the flag, and participating

Facing away = ignoring and not facing, not acknowledging, and not participating.

One is participating, one is ignoring.

This isn't gymnastics and you continue to move the goalposts. But thanks for the half baked apology and enjoy being the only person to ever hit my mute list. Because at the end of the day, you're nothing but an asshole. I tried to talk with you and be civil. It's best if we don't anymore.

I don’t see much difference between kneeling , or turning your back , both are protesting at a time it’s not about you/or me it is supposed to be respect in remembrance for those that sacrificed their lives for our freedoms . As I’ve said it’s not the only way to protest , there is a consensus there that some change needs to occur , but the message gets lost because most see it as a disrespectful act .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Going back to my initial thought , anyone want to second guess why Seth was smart enough to stay out of all of this :laugh:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
These two things are both true:

1) I had a 29-year-old nephew who was killed in Afghanistan last March. He was EOD -- explosive ordinance disposal. He basically had half his body blown off in an ambush. It was a truly horrific moment for our family.

2) The next time I'm somewhere and the anthem is playing, I'm taking a knee. Because I'm disgusted with what's going on in this country, and I'm going to support the protests.

If those two thoughts are too much for anyone to handle at once, I really don't give a damn.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Simple question , if it’s not about the flag or the anthem , why not do it before the anthem , like Drew Brees did with his teammates , and like many teams did thru out the year ? Why not do it prior to kickoff
The point of protesting is to do it where the most people would see it. That is how people become aware. If he protested before the kickoff, no one would see it, teams are getting ready on the field, and the TV is at commercial. Before the anthem, no one is paying attention, or are in the beer line, or in the bathroom. TV is still showing the talking heads. Those would be the least effective ways. The main problem people have is because he is black. He was out in the open and not hiding his identity. Not like those white clowns in Michigan protesting the stay at home orders wearing masks and brandishing weapons.

I hope Bjorkstrand comes back as hot as he was before he got injured. He would be a force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad