Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Nothing too surprising, though glad to get a bit of “closure” on what happened rather than presumed speculation. Probably the most surprising thing to me was his relationship with Torts was as strained for as long as it was.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A few things...
-surprised Dubinsky agreed to talk to Portzline, given Porty ran with the "nothing on the police reports" during that Vegas trip
-we're only hearing Dubinsky's side; I'm sure Torts would disagree and the truth is somewhere in the middle
-that said, it's pretty surprising and refreshing to hear a former player talk this openly about playing time, morale, etc.
-there was now an obvious PR campaign to pitch Dubinsky as one of "Tort's guys" who "loved" playing for him in NY
-I think Torts probably got over-credited for his time here and guys like Dubinsky and Foligno are probably underappreciated for their efforts - at least, this piece makes it seem like it was more player-driven than coach-driven in terms of turning into a "tough team to play against" that always battles/d

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
A few things...
-surprised Dubinsky agreed to talk to Portzline, given Porty ran with the "nothing on the police reports" during that Vegas trip
-we're only hearing Dubinsky's side; I'm sure Torts would disagree and the truth is somewhere in the middle
-that said, it's pretty surprising and refreshing to hear a former player talk this openly about playing time, morale, etc.
-there was now an obvious PR campaign to pitch Dubinsky as one of "Tort's guys" who "loved" playing for him in NY
-I think Torts probably got over-credited for his time here and guys like Dubinsky and Foligno are probably underappreciated for their efforts - at least, this piece makes it seem like it was more player-driven than coach-driven in terms of turning into a "tough team to play against" that always battles/d
Torts had his opportunity to tell his side and he declined to comment. I can certainly appreciate Dubinsky's side of the story. I'm glad he's doing well but we all knew he wasn't exactly a real top 6 center. On a really good team he should have been a 3rd liner.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Are we just figuring this out now?

The hardest team to play against in the NHL was said about the Blue Jackets ad nauseum from 2013 through 2015. Dubinsky and Foligno 100%. Some early Boone Jenner, some Matt Calvert, Derek Mackenzie. Maybe Coach Richards had something to do with it, I don't know. That team was atop the league in hits and grinded their opponents into dust.

The history of this hockey team is all messed up and full of fables. Torts wasn't the one who created the Blue Jackets identity team. There's a lot we can credit Torts with, but not that.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Are we just figuring this out now?

The hardest team to play against in the NHL was said about the Blue Jackets ad nauseum from 2013 through 2015. Dubinsky and Foligno 100%. Some early Boone Jenner, some Matt Calvert, Derek Mackenzie. Maybe Coach Richards had something to do with it, I don't know. That team was atop the league in hits and grinded their opponents into dust.

C’mon - you can’t leave out my boy Dalton Prout.

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-28_10-49-9.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-28_10-49-9.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2022-1-28_10-50-30.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-28_10-50-30.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed Porty’s article on Dubinsky. But I’ve noticed there’s been no write ups on the last two CBJ games. Does anyone know the story as to why? Is the Athletic cutting back on their reporting?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed Porty’s article on Dubinsky. But I’ve noticed there’s been no write ups on the last two CBJ games. Does anyone know the story as to why? Is the Athletic cutting back on their reporting?

Porty went on vacation

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Could somebody PM this article to me??

As some will remember, I was always very vocal of my appreciation and opinion of Dubi as a player and his impact on the team and organization. You would think him and Torts would have gotten along better, as their mindsets on what you should bring to the ice seemed to match up.

Huge fan of Torts, but, sometimes his lineup decisions seemed to be inconsistent and impacted by more things than just on-ice play. Near the end of Dubinsky’s time on the CBJ, he was not given the ice time from the coaches or the respect from the fans that he deserved. He played quite well in the playoffs at the end versus TB and BOS, that got overlooked quite a bit.

He was the CBJ #1C for much of the time Johansen was considered the 1C.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
To add, MOST of you wanted the team “led” or “full” of offensive players like Jack Roslovic, not players like Dubinsky and Jenner, whose offensive skill would be mocked DAILY.

You’ve gotten what you asked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad