Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dude, really? You are literally trying too hard.

"Negatively"?..... "Famous pitting player against player"? :ha: Its essentially only you who continues to attempt to push this.
Well, I might have, but I figured he made the point well enough for me.

I like Ryan Murray better and like what he brings to the ice more than Werenski, especially paired with Jones on the top pair. And I don't think people should be talking about giving him 6-7 million dollars a year, yet. You can turn that into whatever you want, but I have no issue with Werenski on this team and being properly used and focusing more on defense.

Okay, coolness. My primary objection is just that, up until that last sentence just now, I'd yet to see you say anything about Werenski in any context other than comparing him unfavorably to Murray. It's possible I missed such things before, but you've been historically consistent enough in mentioning Murray seemingly every time that Werenski is being discussed that eventually folks just assume you can't stand Werenski.

He is not looked at the same to me, as Bob and Wennberg. The sooner they are gone, the better, imo. The 'cap space' could be used to make the team better than it is now, and/or simply having their spots/roles filled by somebody else. Not to mention what you could get in a trade.
Okay, here's the thing. If they're truly as awful as is being asserted about them, you're not going to get anything valuable in a trade. They have to have value to another team to return useful assets. When you've got an asset like that, one's thought shouldn't be "dump this guy". It's "why is this guy not working out", figure out why, figure out if that guy might have anything that might be valuable to another team, and then, before trying to trade, asking yourself if that something might still be valuable to your team.

In Wennberg's specific case, I think there's several somethings that are still valuable to this team that he provides. That said, I'm well aware you disagree, although I can't fathom what the basis for your disagreement is.

1) Is literally a "sarcastic" question asking what would be said if Korpisalo was in net.

2) Is a sarcastic comment attacking the contradicting opinions that major (and others) had made on Tort's coaching decisions on playing, or not playing, the "young guns".
Something being sarcastic does not exempt it from criticism, or from the allegation that it's a negative influence.

I love Torts. Some of his decisions, like playing Wennberg or Bob as much as he has, and not playing Murray with Jones "regularly" until this year, I don't agree with. But, I also see the big picture of where the team HAS BEEN the last few years, and understand that these "small" roster management decisions I don't agree with are not a reason to fire him or even complain about the coaching.
...and that willingness to see a big picture in that, at least, is why I still think we can have debates now and again. ;)

That said, just because someone has criticisms about something doesn't mean they're about to conclude that we're better off without that something, or that they feel the negatives outweigh the positives. (Which is something I imagine you ought to well know, given that you're evidently not as much of a Werenski hater as is occasionally assumed. :D )

3) Is ironic for a couple reasons. It completely goes against what you are saying and trying to say I am saying, and is strongly "related" to #1 above, and even here at #3. I was literally sticking up for Korpisalo because people were downplaying his play in the game. It all started when I acknowledged the sequence of good saves by Korpisalo, which is a clear no-no, and was subsequently entered into a talk about "luck". Just before that post of mine you quoted (along with another person "asking" something about what I thought in regards to both goalies), you yourself posted 3 clips of Bobrovsky saves to show that people clap after Bob makes saves also. Seems my famous "pitting player against player" is rubbing off on others, eh?

The idea that having an HONEST conversation about the organizations "transition period" and/or current and future goalie situation, is considered "pitting player against player", is dumb.
There's two ways to make that point. One is pointing out that it was a fantastic save, and that we've seen plenty of that from him, and that it's reason for hope. The other is to say "it's better than the other guy". A healthy discourse has a good mix of both, not exclusively one or the other. You're pretty heavy on the latter.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You lost me.

I think the point there is that when you walk into a thread without responding to anyone and instead launch into a rant accusing "the majority" of various opinions which you then subsequently mock and/or strike down, it comes across as less a general debate against consensus and more of a spammy exercise in showing off your strawman fighting prowess.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Dude, really? You are literally trying too hard.

"Negatively"?..... "Famous pitting player against player"? :ha: Its essentially only you who continues to attempt to push this. I like Ryan Murray better and like what he brings to the ice more than Werenski, especially paired with Jones on the top pair. And I don't think people should be talking about giving him 6-7 million dollars a year, yet. You can turn that into whatever you want, but I have no issue with Werenski on this team and being properly used and focusing more on defense. He is not looked at the same to me, as Bob and Wennberg. The sooner they are gone, the better, imo. The 'cap space' could be used to make the team better than it is now, and/or simply having their spots/roles filled by somebody else. Not to mention what you could get in a trade.

Now, going back to these quotes that supposedly "turns discussion negatively"...

1) Is literally a "sarcastic" question asking what would be said if Korpisalo was in net. It was a 7-5 win where Bob gave up 5 goals after the CBJ went up 3-0 in the 1st. What is said in most of the threads this year after Korpisalo has won? What would have been said if Korpisalo played in that game and won 7-5?

2) Is a sarcastic comment attacking the contradicting opinions that major (and others) had made on Tort's coaching decisions on playing, or not playing, the "young guns". I love Torts. Some of his decisions, like playing Wennberg or Bob as much as he has, and not playing Murray with Jones "regularly" until this year, I don't agree with. But, I also see the big picture of where the team HAS BEEN the last few years, and understand that these "small" roster management decisions I don't agree with are not a reason to fire him or even complain about the coaching.

3) Is ironic for a couple reasons. It completely goes against what you are saying and trying to say I am saying, and is strongly "related" to #1 above, and even here at #3. I was literally sticking up for Korpisalo because people were downplaying his play in the game. It all started when I acknowledged the sequence of good saves by Korpisalo, which is a clear no-no, and was subsequently entered into a talk about "luck". Just before that post of mine you quoted (along with another person "asking" something about what I thought in regards to both goalies), you yourself posted 3 clips of Bobrovsky saves to show that people clap after Bob makes saves also. Seems my famous "pitting player against player" is rubbing off on others, eh?

The idea that having an HONEST conversation about the organizations "transition period" and/or current and future goalie situation, is considered "pitting player against player", is dumb.

In Korp and Murray I trust. Wenny and Bobby are going the way of the Jojo.

Yep. I'm the one trying to hard.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
CBJ recall Dalpe. Yay another tweener that will make no impact.
He's a point per game player in the NHL this year. LOL.

Just looked at him on capfriendly.com. He makes a guaranteed $350,000 this year. Organizational depth guys can make a very nice living for about 4-5 years.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I can't imagine what else you were hoping for. Unless it's Stenlund, in which case you probably need to be informed that he's not exactly showing exemplary work in Cleveland.

I'm not disappointed that it's Dalpe. I'm curious how he'll play. But it would have been more informative to see what Stenlund can do. And I don't agree that Stenlund hasn't played very well, perhaps Monsters fans can correct me. Stenlund is racking up shots and goals at a pretty good clip given his limited ice time.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Get Tarasenko over here to play with Panarin.

While that sounds nice, it doesn't make us better in all likelihood.

It would probably cost Werenski +, if we're being honest. I doubt they'd take a package with Josh Anderson, Bjorkstrand, or Foudy as the main piece. They'd take Dubois for sure, but we have no interest in that.

So, that leaves Werenski. Subtract him from our lineup, and our defense has Dean Kukan, Scott Harrington, and Gabriel Carlsson/Adam Clendening as NHL regulars. That doesn't sound good. And any player you trade for to plug up the hole Werenski leaves (like as a deadline day trade) won't bring what Werenski brings. We're bleeding enough goals as is. While some can be attributed to goalie play, the defensive play by the team has been pretty sorry all year.

So, yeah we should explore the option. But if it costs Werenski, I'd look elsewhere.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I feel some trepidation about acquiring Tarasenko. I've seen four or five Blues games this year and he doesn't seem like the same player he used to be. He doesn't look dangerous with the puck, just sluggish. Maybe it's just a temporary issue, I don't know. As of right now I'm not sure I'd even send Anderson for him.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I feel some trepidation about acquiring Tarasenko. I've seen four or five Blues games this year and he doesn't seem like the same player he used to be. He doesn't look dangerous with the puck, just sluggish. Maybe it's just a temporary issue, I don't know. As of right now I'm not sure I'd even send Anderson for him.

To be fair to him, he's played through a coaching change and general dumpster fire for a team...

(Though its hard for me to believe how the season has gone for them with the players they have)

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Portzline's The Athletic article today on Ryan Murray was an excellent read and one I hope was seen by many of you. It gave me some additional texture on my thinking about his young career with the CBJ.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Okay, coolness. My primary objection is just that, up until that last sentence just now, I'd yet to see you say anything about Werenski in any context other than comparing him unfavorably to Murray. It's possible I missed such things before, but you've been historically consistent enough in mentioning Murray seemingly every time that Werenski is being discussed that eventually folks just assume you can't stand Werenski.

Well, since Werenski came into the league, their careers and the players are inherently connected. Being right next to each other on the 'depth chart', playing the same position, and being essentially the 2 guys "fighting" over being able to play on the top pair with a Norris contender is a big connection and affects both players and the team significantly. And lets not act like I'm the only person to compare the 2 guys. The only thing different with me is that I've always seen it as Murray > Werenski. Is THAT the issue?? Because, I don't remember you coming to the defense of Murray the last few years when people have been comparing him unfavorably to Werenski (and Nutivaara "recently"), to put it lightly.

Its not my fault I was right about Murray. And please lets not act like I cant talk about each player separately. I've already said I wanna keep Werenski, that he is a TOP TIER offensive defenseman. Murray is still a better all around player.

Okay, here's the thing. If they're truly as awful as is being asserted about them, you're not going to get anything valuable in a trade. They have to have value to another team to return useful assets. When you've got an asset like that, one's thought shouldn't be "dump this guy". It's "why is this guy not working out", figure out why, figure out if that guy might have anything that might be valuable to another team, and then, before trying to trade, asking yourself if that something might still be valuable to your team.

In Wennberg's specific case, I think there's several somethings that are still valuable to this team that he provides. That said, I'm well aware you disagree, although I can't fathom what the basis for your disagreement is.

You love to repeat that constantly. What I (and others) are saying when we "want" to trade 1 of these guys is that they have more value to some other teams than what they bring to the CBJ. Or we could use them to bring in a player or players that could be of better use or more valuable to the CBJ. You completely (purposely?) ignore the concept of packaging multiple assets to acquire a better player or the concept of team "FIT", or chemistry, or the future or "big picture". All different teams are at different stages of "development" and what their "overall plan" is. Its the reason why there are 3 for 1 trades, or a superior 30 year old player is traded for a 23 year old guy with "potential", or a kid on a ELC.

With Bob, its more certain than Panarin, that he's NOT coming back. This season has not been good for him. Look at how many losses he has. Even if you don't want to believe Weekes about the behind the scenes stuff and it affecting the TEAM/locker room, and you want to downplay his comments and body language at the beginning of the year about "HIS plans", you cant ignore the losses and the TERRIBLE games he's played consistently all year, going all the way back to preseason.

Without going into detail too much on what I see wrong with Wennberg in general or his "fit" on the CBJ, I just think the team, even though they don't have many issues scoring, could use another "shooter" or "scorer", something Wennberg obviously isn't. We have many better passers and are a better passing team than they have shooters and shoot as a team. And yes, you have to give to get. And out of all the "younger" forwards with some value, I would rather look to deal Wennberg over Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Anderson.

Something being sarcastic does not exempt it from criticism, or from the allegation that it's a negative influence.

Well it is exempt when the criticism and allegations are based on the sarcastic comment not being sarcastic, and/or the allegation actually being LITERALLY the complete opposite of what was being "said". Not to mention 1 of the "criticisms" essentially contradicted another "criticism", while actually "confirming" 1 of the things they were attempting to criticize.

That said, just because someone has criticisms about something doesn't mean they're about to conclude that we're better off without that something, or that they feel the negatives outweigh the positives. (Which is something I imagine you ought to well know, given that you're evidently not as much of a Werenski hater as is occasionally assumed. :D )

This is all related to the people who said we would never get or be better if we traded Nash and got "lesser" players back, and said the same thing when we traded our "best offensive player" in Johansen when we already weren't a "good" offensive team. Why are good or promising players EVER traded? If somebody only listened to you, they would believe trades, good players or not, never occur. Like many things you attempt to pass off, its not true. Many people are saying the team needs some sort of change or shakeup. Now, I don't know if you do, but what are the possibilities? That would bring a "change" or a return that would HELP the team?

There's two ways to make that point. One is pointing out that it was a fantastic save, and that we've seen plenty of that from him, and that it's reason for hope. The other is to say "it's better than the other guy". A healthy discourse has a good mix of both, not exclusively one or the other. You're pretty heavy on the latter.

Again, just like comparing Murray and Werenski, or Dubois and Wennberg, do you not see WHY they are or should be compared? Its called a 'depth chart'. And again, either going back to this EXACT situation, or nearly EVERY GAME, lets not act like I am the only person comparing the 2. MOST of the time its people BASHING Korpisalo, and subsequently "hype" Bob, but that's ok right, because it goes along with your thinking?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Portzline's The Athletic article today on Ryan Murray was an excellent read and one I hope was seen by many of you. It gave me some additional texture on my thinking about his young career with the CBJ.

I don't have a subscription, is it titled : "GLASS MAN"

….??
HAHAHA, amiright!??! :biglaugh::boredom:

Hey, no ER visits over the summer, so he's fair game. :blush:

:cheesy:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, since Werenski came into the league, their careers and the players are inherently connected. Being right next to each other on the 'depth chart', playing the same position, and being essentially the 2 guys "fighting" over being able to play on the top pair with a Norris contender is a big connection and affects both players and the team significantly. And lets not act like I'm the only person to compare the 2 guys. The only thing different with me is that I've always seen it as Murray > Werenski. Is THAT the issue?? Because, I don't remember you coming to the defense of Murray the last few years when people have been comparing him unfavorably to Werenski (and Nutivaara "recently"), to put it lightly.
You may not remember it, but it did happen.

You love to repeat that constantly. What I (and others) are saying when we "want" to trade 1 of these guys is that they have more value to some other teams than what they bring to the CBJ. Or we could use them to bring in a player or players that could be of better use or more valuable to the CBJ. You completely (purposely?) ignore the concept of packaging multiple assets to acquire a better player or the concept of team "FIT", or chemistry, or the future or "big picture".
Yes, I do generally ignore it - because it's a fundamentally flawed way to look at trade possibilities. Trades aren't "get the right number of assets and you can get what you want"; you have to provide what the other team wants, and that's not always going to match with your own interests. In particular, when you're talking about guys in their early-to-mid 20s, everybody wants to be the one who gets the upgrade; nobody wants to be the person who downgraded and added futures. Even on rebuilding teams - those young guys are the guys you keep for a rebuild, either in the hope that they improve, or on the theory that they can kill time while the real core guys develop.

All different teams are at different stages of "development" and what their "overall plan" is. Its the reason why there are 3 for 1 trades, or a superior 30 year old player is traded for a 23 year old guy with "potential", or a kid on a ELC.
True. But I get the impression that folks here would not be satisfied with us trading Wennberg for a 30+ year old. Yes, Wennberg is the "young" player in that evaluation; he's only 24.

Without going into detail too much on what I see wrong with Wennberg in general or his "fit" on the CBJ, I just think the team, even though they don't have many issues scoring, could use another "shooter" or "scorer", something Wennberg obviously isn't. We have many better passers and are a better passing team than they have shooters and shoot as a team. And yes, you have to give to get. And out of all the "younger" forwards with some value, I would rather look to deal Wennberg over Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Anderson.
I'm not inclined to agree on the passing-versus-shooting thing - I think we've got a fairly good balance. But otherwise, this is fair enough.

This is all related to the people who said we would never get or be better if we traded Nash and got "lesser" players back, and said the same thing when we traded our "best offensive player" in Johansen when we already weren't a "good" offensive team. Why are good or promising players EVER traded? If somebody only listened to you, they would believe trades, good players or not, never occur.
Spare me the hyperbole. Trades occur; they're just not the kinds that folks frequently like to fantasize about in which they get an upgrade at a discount. (And just because you don't see me discussing trade ideas here doesn't mean I don't do it. I'm a regular on Trade Rumors & Free Agency too.)

Many people are saying the team needs some sort of change or shakeup. Now, I don't know if you do, but what are the possibilities? That would bring a "change" or a return that would HELP the team?
Mostly, if we're talking about a Wennberg move, they would involve getting someone older and more experienced. We have other options if Werenski is available, but given that he's only 21, balancing that so it's a good deal for the CBJ becomes a lot harder. There's other guys that it would be nice to target, but they're not going to be available for Wennberg + something reasonable because, again, nobody wants to be the one who handed over the upgrade.

Again, just like comparing Murray and Werenski, or Dubois and Wennberg, do you not see WHY they are or should be compared? Its called a 'depth chart'. And again, either going back to this EXACT situation, or nearly EVERY GAME, lets not act like I am the only person comparing the 2. MOST of the time its people BASHING Korpisalo, and subsequently "hype" Bob, but that's ok right, because it goes along with your thinking?
I don't object to comparisons between players per se. I just find it repetitive when that's virtually the only way a case is made for some players by some posters.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Stenlund has higher upside, and hasn’t been too bad. Milano or Robinson would do too.
I'll grant you Robinson. Stenlund I'm still not sold on; he's looking to me like more of a Savior Boy* than a star prospect. Not that he's bad; just that he's getting overhyped IMO.

*: "Savior Boy" being the antipode of a "Whipping Boy".

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You may not remember it, but it did happen.

Ok. Am I allowed yet to say that I think Murray is a better defenseman than Werenski? Or are you going to continue to take that as disrespect thrown toward Z?

Yes, I do generally ignore it - because it's a fundamentally flawed way to look at trade possibilities. Trades aren't "get the right number of assets and you can get what you want"; you have to provide what the other team wants, and that's not always going to match with your own interests. In particular, when you're talking about guys in their early-to-mid 20s, everybody wants to be the one who gets the upgrade; nobody wants to be the person who downgraded and added futures. Even on rebuilding teams - those young guys are the guys you keep for a rebuild, either in the hope that they improve, or on the theory that they can kill time while the real core guys develop.

I hate when you (purposely) misinterpret what people say ALONG with these annoying hypothetical broad (pun not intended) and simplistic quotes you add all the time. Trades aren't "Get the right number of assets and you can get what you want".... Ok, who said that? Again, you act like trades where multiple pieces are traded for 1 piece are rare, ITS NOT. You also seem to be ignoring that not all players, whether they are the same age or not, bring the same things to the ice nor will they MESH the same with different teams/players. Coyle for Wennberg right now. Jones for Johansen then. Both would and did make us better immediately. Then look at it the "opposite" way with Nash to NY. CBJ still better after, how? Can it be explained?

True. But I get the impression that folks here would not be satisfied with us trading Wennberg for a 30+ year old. Yes, Wennberg is the "young" player in that evaluation; he's only 24.

Ah, who said anything about trading Wennberg for a 30 year old? But, wouldn't it matter who that 30 year old was? Its the same when people say it wouldn't be good for the team to trade Panarin for "a prospect", "roster player", and a "pick". Ok, well WHAT "prospect"!? WHAT "roster player"!? f***, what's "a pick"?! As if the values are in the term itself.

I'm not inclined to agree on the passing-versus-shooting thing - I think we've got a fairly good balance. But otherwise, this is fair enough.

All of our players, besides Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Werenski, Jones, and to a lesser extent Jenner and Anderson, are better passers than shooters. Dubois, Duclair, Foligno AND EVEN Panarin have "issues" with their shots. All 4 of these guys though especially are quite good "set up" men, imo, along with most of the 1st 6 I consider our "shooters". We could use another "shooter", or we could somehow find a way, other than firing Torts, to get Bjork going.

Spare me the hyperbole. Trades occur; they're just not the kinds that folks frequently like to fantasize about in which they get an upgrade at a discount. (And just because you don't see me discussing trade ideas here doesn't mean I don't do it. I'm a regular on Trade Rumors & Free Agency too.)

Again, where does "upgrade at a discount" come from? Something I posted? You don't think there's younger players across the league in the same type of situation Wennberg is in? You don't think a team would be willing to take him along with a 1st round pick or something else, to "unload" a slightly older, slightly better, slightly more expensive player that might not be in their future plans? This idea that Wennberg is "needed" at center is also now clearly false, as he really doesn't even play center.

Mostly, if we're talking about a Wennberg move, they would involve getting someone older and more experienced. We have other options if Werenski is available, but given that he's only 21, balancing that so it's a good deal for the CBJ becomes a lot harder. There's other guys that it would be nice to target, but they're not going to be available for Wennberg + something reasonable because, again, nobody wants to be the one who handed over the upgrade.

Ah, here we go again. What exactly is, "+ something reasonable"?? Same shit as "roster player" or "prospect".

Your "safety net", also.

I don't object to comparisons between players per se. I just find it repetitive when that's virtually the only way a case is made for some players by some posters.

But see, its NOT "virtually the only way a case is made for some players by some posters", you just attempt to push that as a way to delegitimize their opinions.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok. Am I allowed yet to say that I think Murray is a better defenseman than Werenski? Or are you going to continue to take that as disrespect thrown toward Z?
You've made your case for Murray independent of Werenski, so I'm good. Can't speak for others tho.

I hate when you (purposely) misinterpret what people say ALONG with these annoying hypothetical broad (pun not intended) and simplistic quotes you add all the time. Trades aren't "Get the right number of assets and you can get what you want".... Ok, who said that? Again, you act like trades where multiple pieces are traded for 1 piece are rare, ITS NOT. You also seem to be ignoring that not all players, whether they are the same age or not, bring the same things to the ice nor will they MESH the same with different teams/players. Coyle for Wennberg right now. Jones for Johansen then. Both would and did make us better immediately. Then look at it the "opposite" way with Nash to NY. CBJ still better after, how? Can it be explained?
I'm not saying they're rare, I'm saying that who's available - and the needs of the team that those available guys are playing for - are far more important, because they dictate your available options. Or, put differently, a sensible narrative would be less about "trading Wennberg" and more "finding an upgrade on Wennberg for #2C". The latter does not require that he be traded. Indeed, in some cases offering him might even be counterproductive.

And Jones for Johansen is actually an interesting example of that - we didn't trade a center for a center upgrade, we traded a center for an upgrade at the blueline, to a team that had blueline strength but badly needed a enter. If Nashville couldn't spare Jones and didn't need a #1C, it's very probable we would not have been able to manage a comparable trade.

(And I'll try to keep that criticism in mind w/r/t the reductionist paraphrasing attempts.)

Ah, who said anything about trading Wennberg for a 30 year old? But, wouldn't it matter who that 30 year old was? Its the same when people say it wouldn't be good for the team to trade Panarin for "a prospect", "roster player", and a "pick". Ok, well WHAT "prospect"!? WHAT "roster player"!? ****, what's "a pick"?! As if the values are in the term itself.
I'll grant that I'm used to those terms having somewhat less vague meanings due to some common conventions on TR&FA. It's just difficult to use more specific terms without having more specific possible situations.

All of our players, besides Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Werenski, Jones, and to a lesser extent Jenner and Anderson, are better passers than shooters. Dubois, Duclair, Foligno AND EVEN Panarin have "issues" with their shots. All 4 of these guys though especially are quite good "set up" men, imo, along with most of the 1st 6 I consider our "shooters". We could use another "shooter", or we could somehow find a way, other than firing Torts, to get Bjork going.
You've got a point, but your "besides" list is IMO a little unusually long given what other teams frequently have to work with. (I'd be interested in who you count as a "shooter" in that context on, say, the Caps, for example. Obviously they have Ovechkin and he's a better sniper than anyone we've ever had in our history, but I'd be curious about the rest.) I wouldn't object to having another shooter; I just don't think it's as vital as is being suggested.

Again, where does "upgrade at a discount" come from? Something I posted? You don't think there's younger players across the league in the same type of situation Wennberg is in? You don't think a team would be willing to take him along with a 1st round pick or something else, to "unload" a slightly older, slightly better, slightly more expensive player that might not be in their future plans?
It's possible, but I don't see any such folks to target out there at the moment who would be within reach of a Wennberg trade other than Charlie Coyle, and I'm not sold on him as a C for us. There's other guys, but they're either bigger reaches than that (Schenn and O'Reilly in St. Louis, Hayes on the Rangers, and so forth) or they're not worth that kind of add on top of Wennberg IMO.

I can go into detail on what I think I see out there if there's interest, altho that'd probably be better off in another thread.
EDIT: Did so here. Short version: I think I overlooked Derek Stepan.

Ah, here we go again. What exactly is, "+ something reasonable"??
In this context? Something that isn't worth nearly as much as Wennberg himself. The idea would be to trade Wennberg as the centerpiece of the deal; if we're promoting something else as the item of value, the deal should be structured around that. In that case, tho, it's not necessarily "trading Wennberg for an upgrade", now, is it? In that case, he's more of a sweetener or throw-in.

But see, its NOT "virtually the only way a case is made for some players by some posters", you just attempt to push that as a way to delegitimize their opinions.
It has been for some. I'll allow that you in particular seem to have deemphasized such things, which has been awesome. Feels like there's actual conversations going on now. :thumbu:

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Didn't see this anywhere, and didn't know where to post it. But according to Portzline in the recent Q&A, Sonny Milano has requested a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad