Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Meanwhile, in the advanced stats world, an early look at PDO, especially compared to the rest of the league, suggests the Jackets may be a tad short on puck luck:
theBRKDWN Sports – Early Season NHL PDO Tracker

Yep. I personally don't like PDO because I don't see any reason to lump save percentage in, a good or bad save percentage can be sustained based on goaltending quality and the quality of team defense. So I just look at shooting percentages, shot attempts, etc... It's also worth it to break shooting percentage into 5v5 and powerplay. I made mention last week that the 5 v 5 shooting percentage was unsustainably low, and we have had better results in the last few games.

Fun fact - the Jackets are 4th in PP shot rate and 24th in PP goal rate. You might say that's just the way it is with a lame PP, but low shooting percentage wasn't the problem last year or the year before. The Jackets were 31st in PP shot rate in 2017-18 and 30th in 2018-19. Does that suggest that goals will come? At least to some degree, yes. They have a 7% shooting percentage on the PP right now, and no team does that over a full season. 10% could be dead last in the league.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Congrats to Vlad Gavrikov for his first NHL point.

Also, Gavrikov/Savard pairing is top 10 in the league in least goals against expected stats

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
2009 Columbus Blue Jackets 7th round pick Kyle Neuber-who I had never heard about-might be the scariest player I've seen in the past decade. He's 6'4" 250 lbs. Go to the 3:50 mark of the video:

He's the one who jumped into the visitors bench. After being punched at least 30 times by several Cyclones players on the bench, he was dumped out on the ice. He was none the worse for wear. He was grinning and cursing at the Cyclones bench and then snapped his stick into two pieces with his hands. A wild and fun scene. My respect for Scott Howson just skyrocketed.

Kyle Neuber Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“Jonesy’s struggling; it’s just been a struggle for him,” Tortorella said. “It’s probably more of a struggle than he’s had in a long time. I think the same thing with ‘Z’.

“They’re just too good … for it to last that much longer. They’re going to be OK.”

Asked to evaluate his performance so far this season, Jones didn’t hold back.

“Not great,” he said. “A little bit of a struggle, just trying to find my game and not forcing things. When you’re struggling, you want to make more plays, try more things. I’ve been battling that a little bit. My feet are a big part of my game. I (need to start) using my legs, just making quick decisions and using my legs to get me out of situations. I’m trying to do that a little bit more. For me, it starts with being physical defensively, shutting guys down. I think my offensive game and my confidence comes from that.

“I want my team to know that I’m going to be on every night. I’ve let them down. It’s something that hasn’t been the case early on this year. I do put a lot of pressure on myself and I’m my biggest critic. I know when I play like crap.”

The Blue Jackets’ struggles on the back end extend beyond Jones and Werenski, of course. Their two other puck-moving defensemen have been out of the lineup.

Ryan Murray (broken hand) has missed the past three games and could be out a few more weeks. Markus Nutivaara has been a healthy scratch the past two games but is expected back tonight versus Vegas.

“The reason Nuti’s (been) out is because he’s been a wicket,” Tortorella said. “Stationary, looking to his partner and flipping pucks. I want to see him skate. I want to see him move and I want to see him get involved in the offense.”

As Blue Jackets' top players struggle, Seth Jones and Zach...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He’s insinuating based off of comments from players when asked about Elvis.
Yet on an Athletic podcast both Alison Lukan and AP both discussed this exact topic a couple of weeks ago and said that they got no sense of animosity towards him at all.

FWIW, I only think Bemstrom is here because Jarmo is so high on him and we have no one better. Outside of the very first shot of the very first exhibition game I have not been impressed by Bemstrom in the slightest.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yet on an Athletic podcast both Alison Lukan and AP both discussed this exact topic a couple of weeks ago and said that they got no sense of animosity towards him at all.

FWIW, I only think Bemstrom is here because Jarmo is so high on him and we have no one better. Outside of the very first shot of the very first exhibition game I have not been impressed by Bemstrom in the slightest.

Different strokes for different folks, maybe they’re not talking to the same players.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Or he could be making it all up in his head since I've not seen any comments leading to that belief and he didn't feel the need to cite anything. The Dispatch coverage has gotten really terrible IMO.

It could be off the record conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad