Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
The country where I quite want to be. Finland has it all.

Welcome any time. If you want some tips or anything just ask. Always happy to help if someone wants to land here. If you or anyone in the boards takes trip to Oulu and wants to have a beer and watch some "hockey", let me buy the first ones :nod:

Reactions: ndd17 and Jaxs

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So this made for an interesting read w/r/t Werenski's ostensible lack of intensity that has been annoying people...
Blue Jackets need Zach Werenski's calm and confidence, and...
“I don’t think people realize there’s no point in getting there 2 feet ahead of the guy,” Werenski said. “He’s just going to crush you. I’d rather get there with him on me and then play the puck because then I can spin off of him and go.

“If I go back 5 feet ahead of him, I might be able to rim the puck out, but he’s just going to hit me. He has my angle and everything. A lot of times I go back with him, then I can spin off and make the play off of him. It’s one of those things I don’t think a lot of people understand.”
[...]
It’s not that Werenski is afraid to get hit. “Absolutely not,” he said. “I’ll take a hit to make a pass.”

But getting blasted as he goes back to play a puck could very well take him out of the play and, as he said, limit the plays he can make to simply rim around the woodwork.

If he can bring the opponent in deep with him, then peel off and make the play, it allows him to keep the puck and forces the forechecker to skate back the length of the ice.
Short version: he's not lazy, he's deliberately trying to draw forecheckers closer so he can put them too deep to make an impact in transition and yet still be able to jump up himself after the pass. (Now, whether or not that's the right play to make at any given time, given the obvious "you just might end up turning over the puck in your own zone instead" risk... that would be a separate debate. :) )

Reactions: koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So this made for an interesting read w/r/t Werenski's ostensible lack of intensity that has been annoying people...
Blue Jackets need Zach Werenski's calm and confidence, and...

Short version: he's not lazy, he's deliberately trying to draw forecheckers closer so he can put them too deep to make an impact in transition and yet still be able to jump up himself after the pass. (Now, whether or not that's the right play to make at any given time, given the obvious "you just might end up turning over the puck in your own zone instead" risk... that would be a separate debate. :) )

This makes Zach's approach easier to understand, it hadn't occurred to me before. He'd get exposed to nastier hits and possibly more turnovers if he got back with a bigger gap between him and the forechecker.

Does he do the slow approach too often? I'm curious. Either way, picking up pucks behind his goal line is not one of the things that bothers me about Zach's game. I'm more bothered by those low percentage 4 on 3 rushes that he likes to make.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This makes Zach's approach easier to understand, it hadn't occurred to me before. He'd get exposed to nastier hits and possibly more turnovers if he got back with a bigger gap between him and the forechecker.

Does he do the slow approach too often? I'm curious. Either way, picking up pucks behind his goal line is not one of the things that bothers me about Zach's game. I'm more bothered by those low percentage 4 on 3 rushes that he likes to make.
I'm not sure. The idea had occurred to me now and again, but I kept rejecting it because I keep thinking "no, that's silly, the risk of screwing up is too great", and so I wasn't sure what to think. It hadn't occurred to me that he considered it an acceptable risk, and - more to the point - that Tortorella was giving him his head on it. And frankly I havn't paid close enough attention to tell if he's been right more often than not on that, and I find myself kind of wishing I had. :D

also, to be bluntly honest, I have a tendency to lose track of the forechecker and instead pay attention to any other guys we have in the zone - i.e. where I expect the puck is ultimately headed - so the trend hadn't really impressed itself on me to begin with... I just kind of write it off as a low-impact formality and so don't really follow it :blush:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
With points in 5 straight games Emil Bemstrom has tied PLD for the longest rookie scoring streak in CBJ history

And I still don't think he's looked all the way comfortable. He's looked way better, mind you, but he's still got a ways to go. Which is a testament to how good he could be.

Reactions: Dumais

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Lots of condidates to sit...Foligno, Andy, Nash, Bjork(?), Wennie, Cam

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Lots of condidates to sit...Foligno, Andy, Nash, Bjork(?), Wennie, Cam

My hope and money is both on Wennberg.

For a team that needs goals, I don't think sitting Atkinson is the right idea. Not to mention, he is just a much better player than Wennberg. Throwing Atkinson on the 4th line would be just be as much of a wake up call to him ( and be better imo) than scratching him.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
My hope and money is both on Wennberg.

For a team that needs goals, I don't think sitting Atkinson is the right idea. Not to mention, he is just a much better player than Wennberg. Throwing Atkinson on the 4th line would be just be as much of a wake up call to him ( and be better imo) than scratching him.

The problem is... Atkinson’s not scoring, either. He has one more goal than Wennberg. Wennberg is also probably contributing more defensively than Atkinson right now. I’d say each’s impact is probably about even, with Wennberg possibly contributing more overall, honestly. The following is subjective but you can even look at the assists each had in the past two games. Wennberg made a really nice cross-ice feed to Savard, who then fed Robinson against Montreal. Cam made a simple pass to Jones who then fed Z for the one-timer against STL. Who was setting the screen in front on that one? Wennberg. Both players got a total of one (secondary) assist. But Wennberg was much more impactful on both plays, including the one he didn’t get any credit for against the Blues.

The reason why I’d scratch Cam is long-term. I don’t think scratching Wennberg does anything; if anything, you might lose him “for good.” I think scratching Cam could help him, based on the past. He’s a mess right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn and EspenK

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Torts has updated his potential scratch to a veteran guy or "young guy who's part of the core." I guess the options are:
-Foligno
-Nash
-Wennberg
-Atkinson
-Nyquist
-Dubois
-Jenner
-Anderson
-Bjorkstrand
-Texier (if you count him as part of the core)

So basically, literally anyone.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I think Cam is the type of guy who needs to play through it. Having said that apparently it's through and through and through and....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad