Injury Report: Injury Thread Pt. II (Del Zotto has surgery to repair sports hernia)

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Don't know what to tell you. Torn labrums reduce the strength and mobility of the entire arm. It would be concerning if it didn't affect his production.

Because it's not a legit excuse? Take off the Callahan-hater glasses...

He had as many points as Stepan and Nash. What's their excuse?

Priceless.

Yeah...because Cally's always trying to use excuses, like a torn labrum:shakehead

14 goals and 24 points in 59 career playoff games.

Typical "buying the kool-aid" posts.

Callahan can do no wrong because he wears a C and plays hard. This is a guy who's supposed to be counted upon in the post season to do the same. Why does he get a free pass? Because he blocks shots and hits people?

I love the "what's the excuse for Stepan and Nash" post? Did you ever see me defend them? Let's automatically turn focus off of Callahan's lack of offensive production in the playoffs.

Sorry for expecting more from my team's captain. It's not like he's a 4th liner that has that C strictly because of his leadership skills.

What's really priceless is the sickening amount of double-standards on this board.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

Callahan can do no wrong because he wears a C and plays hard. This is a guy who's supposed to be counted upon in the post season to do the same. Why does he get a free pass? Because he blocks shots and hits people?

I love the "what's the excuse for Stepan and Nash" post? Did you ever see me defend them? Let's automatically turn focus off of Callahan's lack of offensive production in the playoffs.

Sorry for expecting more from my team's captain. It's not like he's a 4th liner that has that C strictly because of his leadership skills.

What's really priceless is the sickening amount of double-standards on this board.

I think your timing is pretty bad on this one.

I'm also not going to lambast Callahan for something, he, IMO, really has no control over. He's being played in a bigger role than he should be playing in (ideally, he'd playing 3rd line minutes at ES and then getting a ton of special teams time). Doesn't help when he's playing with one shoulder.

Another factor is the terrible PP. If the PP was better, Callahan would have had a few more goals. He's not a player who's going to set up the PP, he'll finish the play in front. He won't score if the team can't even set up.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I think your timing is pretty bad on this one.

You've known me for a while. Have I ever cared? lol.

I mean honestly. I say what I'm going to say and if no one agrees, oh well.

It's just disgusting that we go up and down the lineup and talk about the lack of offensive production from our go-to guys, yet Callahan is revered for being one during the regular season and when his offense disappears quicker than Houdini from a sinking treasure chest, no one calls him out for a damn thing.

Nash sucked, yeah. He did. I'm not going to credit his lack of success to playing against the top pairings, although he did. Callahan didn't have to and over his years here hasn't had to, yet the playoff futility stands. Who was Chara out against constantly? Nash. Who was Alzner out against constantly? Nash. Nash sucked in his own right. Stepan was a disappointment for the 3rd straight post-season. However, Callahan has been in 5 post-seasons with the Rangers and has never produced at a pace higher than .5 points per game.

I'm not expecting him to shatter Gretzky's records or make us forget about Messier, but something better than what he's shown us so far. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

Kershaw

I shared the same views for a long time, well before his injuries were out. But you can't really fault the guy for bad postseason with torn labrum....

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I shared the same views for a long time, well before his injuries were out. But you can't really fault the guy for bad postseason with torn labrum....

One out of FIVE post-seasons, four in which he was considered a key cog in the team.

Stop with the excuses. The guy doesn't put up points in the post-season.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York

Maybe we can be friends after all :laugh:

Any type of shoulder injury of that severity will really hinder play. It takes a hell of a lot out of your abilities as a hockey player to shoot for one...hit, etc. It just makes everything 10x as hard. Can't blame injury for everything but a torn labrum is a pretty big problem

Kershaw

One out of FIVE post-seasons, four in which he was considered a key cog in the team.

Stop with the excuses. The guy doesn't put up points in the post-season.

Oh there will definitely be excuses for Callahan, even if he perfectly healthy. There definitely have been a lot of excuses that Callahan has received, while other players like Girardi/Boyle are used as sacrificial goats as whipping boys. That's just the nature of fans defending a blue-collar, and hometown boy captaining the big city hockey team. Can't bother to see likely their favorite player being flawed, hence the defending/excuses.

However, a shoulder injury that required surgery is a very legitimate excuses for poor play.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Oh there will definitely be excuses for Callahan, even if he perfectly healthy. There definitely have been a lot of excuses that Callahan has received, while other players like Girardi/Boyle are used as sacrificial goats as whipping boys. That's just the nature of fans defending a blue-collar, and hometown boy captaining the big city hockey team. Can't bother to see likely their favorite player being flawed, hence the defending/excuses.

We don't normally agree on most things, but I couldn't agree more with you here and it disgusts me that Callahan never gets the verbal whippings that others get for the same lack of production and results that others put forward.

However, a shoulder injury that required surgery is a very legitimate excuses for poor play.

Do I agree? Yes, absolutely. However, this isn't the first season in which Callahan has produced poorly in the playoffs.

I just think that the captain has a responsibility to score goals as well as do the small things, even in the playoffs. He's held to that standard during the regular season, why does he get the free pass in the playoffs?

Kershaw

We don't normally agree on most things, but I couldn't agree more with you here and it disgusts me that Callahan never gets the verbal whippings that others get for the same lack of production and results that others put forward.

Exactly, double standard for sure.

rangers_joker_meme.png

Do I agree? Yes, absolutely. However, this isn't the first season in which Callahan has produced poorly in the playoffs.

I just think that the captain has a responsibility to score goals as well as do the small things, even in the playoffs. He's held to that standard during the regular season, why does he get the free pass in the playoffs?

He was pretty good in 2008 playoffs vs. the Debbies, but has tailed off quite a bit since.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Lol Callahan didn't get a whipping? Was I reading a different board than some of you during this year?

Kershaw

Lol Callahan didn't get a whipping? Was I reading a different board than some of you during this year?

He did get a whipping for once, but even when he was criticized, you weren't a 'true Rangers fan' or you're a 'hater'.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I whip no one except Hamrlik, who I'm fairly certain was playing with arthritis.

Ice Hockey

Jan 4, 2009
CT

i'll say this... cally shouldn't always HAVE to be the guy that does all the grunt work. i think other guys should have stepped up & lightened the load for cally.

the thing is cally can actually score. we should have quicker versions of the ashams doing the stuff that cally does so that he doesn't always have to be the guy throwing 5 hits a shift and blocking 3+shots on the PK. one of the big problems is we don't have any 3rd/4th liners we can truly trust. that's a HUGE problem. like... where do we find even a guy like Tyler Kennedy when he was a rookie. why don't we have any young fast guys like him that play with an edge and can make a difference? instead we have slow ****s like boyle who do nothing for this team and who picks up the slack? cally. i bet my left nut that's why he got injured. overworked.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
i'll say this... cally shouldn't always HAVE to be the guy that does all the grunt work. i think other guys should have stepped up & lightened the load for cally.

the thing is cally can actually score. we should have quicker versions of the ashams doing the stuff that cally does so that he doesn't always have to be the guy throwing 5 hits a shift and blocking 3+shots on the PK. one of the big problems is we don't have any 3rd/4th liners we can truly trust. that's a HUGE problem. like... where do we find even a guy like Tyler Kennedy when he was a rookie. why don't we have any young fast guys like him that play with an edge and can make a difference? instead we have slow ****s like boyle who do nothing for this team and who picks up the slack? cally. i bet my left nut that's why he got injured. overworked.

He got injured because he got into a fight.

Ice Hockey

Jan 4, 2009
CT
He got injured because he got into a fight.

yeah and who else actually fought this year? people should be stepping in every once in a while... like on other teams, ya know? that's how a team works. the lesser skilled guys should be fighting most of the time. mess with this guy, gotta deal with THIS guy.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
yeah and who else actually fought this year? people should be stepping in every once in a while... like on other teams, ya know? that's how a team works. the lesser skilled guys should be fighting most of the time. mess with this guy, gotta deal with THIS guy.

Nobody told Callahan to do it. If he didn't do any of what he did, he would kind of lose his "do everything" appeal, no?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Let's dump these guys. It's clear they'll never be the same after a shoulder surgery. They're clearly past their prime now :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad