Injury Report: Injury Thread Pt. II (Del Zotto has surgery to repair sports hernia)

Broadway Brad

Feb 26, 2012
And then he disappeared after his concussion. A reasonable excuse, but Boyle wasn't much outside of the Ottawa series.

If he comes back and is a fourth line player and PKer, then I have absolutely no problems with Boyle on the ice. But if he comes back and is slotted as a third line winger and every situation guy, I have a problem. Boyle as a 4C would give the Rangers some serious depth here.
Exactly. If he comes back as the 4C and gets 5-7 minutes, I'm fine with that. You know that will never happen though because Torts is in love with him.

Boyle getting PP time throughout the year is one of the most mind boggling things I've ever seen in sports. He is a black hole offensively.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Boyle over Pyatt on 3rd line wing? No way. Pyatt has looked better and his natural position is W. Boyle is awful on the wing and should be nowhere but in the 4th line C spot if he plays.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Boyle would be a very large boost for nothing but his face-off and PK skills. Anything else he would provide would be gravy.

Boyle >>>> Newbury/Haley

toastbag

Apr 23, 2012
I'm thinking they are going to be very careful with these injuries. If the Rangers get off to a good start in the series (taking at least one of two in Washington which I definitely think they will) then I would say no need to rush them back and risk further injury.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Boyle one of our top defensive forwards and PKers, and some of you think he would be a detriment to the lineup? :shakehead

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm thinking they are going to be very careful with these injuries. If the Rangers get off to a good start in the series (taking at least one of two in Washington which I definitely think they will) then I would say no need to rush them back and risk further injury.

I think it is more important to win this series in less than 7 games. As we all saw last year, multiple 7 game series are too much for most teams to handle.

They need to have a good start as well. When Holtby gets into his comfort zone he is a very good goalie. When he lets in a few, it takes him a bit to get back to being right. Need to take advantage.

The loss of Staal, Dorsett, Clowe and Boyle is going to be felt A LOT. That is a lot of "grit" and "sandpaper" that the Rangers line-up is missing. Not to mention their hockey skills as well as their collective size. The Caps are a pretty big, physical team with Erskine, Ovechkin, Brouwer, Chimera, Hendricks and Ward.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Boyle one of our top defensive forwards and PKers, and some of you think he would be a detriment to the lineup? :shakehead

I'd rather win 8-4 then lose 2-0. The team's shooting % with Boyle on the ice is hysterically awful (2.93%). Compared to guys like Richards (8.27%), Brassard (9.06%), Stepan (9.63%), Nash (9.69%), and best on the team Zucc (11.11%).

Boyle basically has 0 offensive instinct, so having him on any scoring line brings down the entire offense. This was a major problem when the roster was thin and Richards was slumping. The resurgence of Richards and additions of Zucc/Brassard have really turned the offense around.

If/when Boyle comes back he needs to be on the 4th line and only on the 4th line.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd rather win 8-4 then lose 2-0. The team's shooting % with Boyle on the ice is hysterically awful (2.93%). Compared to guys like Richards (8.27%), Brassard (9.06%), Stepan (9.63%), Nash (9.69%), and best on the team Zucc (11.11%).

Boyle basically has 0 offensive instinct, so having him on any scoring line brings down the entire offense. This was a major problem when the roster was thin and Richards was slumping. The resurgence of Richards and additions of Zucc/Brassard have really turned the offense around.

If/when Boyle comes back he needs to be on the 4th line and only on the 4th line.

And with a healthy line-up, that is where he would be. Still need him for faceoffs and the PK though.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Green Blob*

Im predicting Staal makes is debut game 3 at the Garden. Especially if he continues to have good days leading up to it.

Hoping for a split the first 2 games (or win both ;) )

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Let's hope Staalsy continues to progress, and he's back Saturday or Monday. We miss him the most, I think.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
i read this board daily/religiously, and don't post here often - but i felt this was necessary to comment on...
I can't beleive the hate for Boyle on this board. I am not a Boyle fan, but he gives 100%, and was playing well prior to the injury. I think the expectations were set too high when he potted his 16. Hes not an offensive player, never will be.
Hes a perfect 4th line guy, who can do a "good" job on the 3rd line. Better than Pyatt I beleive. Boyle adds more grit, speed, forechecking than Pyatt does - at least this season (I will give Pyatt the benefit of the doubt since its a new system in a shortened season).

I think most of this board just hears one person bash a guy for a stretch of games, and everyone plays pile on.
Prior to the injury, Boyle was providing physicality, grit and energy on a team that lacked it.

:shakehead

16 To Stanley*

Let's hope Staalsy continues to progress, and he's back Saturday or Monday. We miss him the most, I think.

I don't think that's even a question.

Although all four guys in this lineup make it extremely deep.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
i read this board daily/religiously, and don't post here often - but i felt this was necessary to comment on...
I can't beleive the hate for Boyle on this board. I am not a Boyle fan, but he gives 100%, and was playing well prior to the injury. I think the expectations were set too high when he potted his 16. Hes not an offensive player, never will be.
Hes a perfect 4th line guy, who can do a "good" job on the 3rd line. Better than Pyatt I beleive. Boyle adds more grit, speed, forechecking than Pyatt does - at least this season (I will give Pyatt the benefit of the doubt since its a new system in a shortened season).

I think most of this board just hears one person bash a guy for a stretch of games, and everyone plays pile on.
Prior to the injury, Boyle was providing physicality, grit and energy on a team that lacked it.

:shakehead

It was like this with Dubinsky last year, and I didn't understand it then either. Even less so with Boyle, because he isn't exactly killing us in the salary cap department. He's done a lot more for us than Pyatt has, for example. It will help tohave him back.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Boyle is a very, very effective winger. not as effective as a center, unless its a pure 4th line mode, but he can play any of the top 9 positions as a board winger. he's very effective on the boards and goes to the net. he won't score you goals or get a lot of points, but he gives you quality minutes and helps maintain offensive zone time and pressure.

those guys are EXTREMELY valuable. as a center, he had way too many responsibilities defensively and isn't a skilled player so can't do much in terms of generating a cycle because of how responsible he was defensively, but on the wing, i REALLY liked what I saw. Put him with a guy like MZA to create some time and space for the feisty winger....or put him on a 3rd line with a guy like Cally..

Losing Boyle is tough for this team. he does a LOT of things to help us control the puck...and it goes way beyond faceoffs.

i'll be happy when hes back in the lineup.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
People hate on Boyle because they saw his 21 goal campaign as turning the corner instead of what it really was -- a career year.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
the three wise men have chimed in in support. Thank heaven for the veteran presence on this board :yo:

I think people forget the likes of some of our famed lines from the 90's... those were painful--- Boyle would be a 2nd liner on some of those teams.

We should be happy we have a quality player who cares and is on a reasonable cap hit that we can throw out there to eat up minutes against other teams - who is a positive contributor in creating space and keeping up pressure in the o-zone.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
the three wise men have chimed in in support. Thank heaven for the veteran presence on this board :yo:

I think people forget the likes of some of our famed lines from the 90's... those were painful--- Boyle would be a 2nd liner on some of those teams.

We should be happy we have a quality player who cares and is on a reasonable cap hit that we can throw out there to eat up minutes against other teams - who is a positive contributor in creating space and keeping up pressure in the o-zone.

You don't get it. Every player has to create offense and be a 50 point scorer. Screw defense, physical play or anything like that. Moar GoalzZ

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This team is better with Boyle in, even on the third line wing in place of Pyatt. Dont underestimate his effect on the guys in the room either, as much as it pains some fans to hear it, he is one of the leaders on this team.

If the Rangers can steal a game in Washington and find a way to get two of Boyle, Dorsett, Clowe and Stall back, they would be a much deeper team. 3 would be significant.

Happy for Newbury getting into a playoff game, hes earned it. Dont expect too much from him but that fourth line could provide some nice energy tonight. Good for him.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
You don't get it. Every player has to create offense and be a 50 point scorer. Screw defense, physical play or anything like that. Moar GoalzZ

Give me a break. That is not why people dislike Boyle.

Boyle is not only useless in the offensive zone, but he also isn't physical (despite being 6'7) and I think is overrated defensively. He's a good PKer and can block shots, but I don't see any extreme defensive instincts (like a Stepan) or physical abilities that may be able to make up for lack of instincts (like a Hagelin) in Boyle. He's a soft, big guy that takes up space and can block shots. He's also good at FOs.

Most people who "hate" Boyle love him for what he should be used for- a fourth line center and PKer who could be bumped up in case of injury, Not a consistent top-9 winger who ruins all chemistry on whatever line he's on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad