Injury Report: Injuries Thread: 2018-19 Edition

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

So he says “a couple of them”. Since we know Arvy and Forsberg will definitely not be back until January he has to be talking about Subban and Turris.

So maybe that is at least a hint that maybe those two are not long term deals??

I’m Just looking for some ray of hope- if we got Turris and Subban back next week that would be incredible news

But I’ll believe it when I see it

Calgary seems to own us and plays a bit nasty, so no loss there and Vancouver is a winnable game with this roster as they've been playing. At least encouraging SOMEONE may be coming back sooner rather than later though.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Calgary seems to own us and plays a bit nasty, so no loss there and Vancouver is a winnable game with this roster as they've been playing. At least encouraging SOMEONE may be coming back sooner rather than later though.

Calgary owns us at Bridgestone, but we pretty much own them in Calgary- we have not lost in regulation there since 2014.

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
PK just posted a video of him skating on Instagram. Looked like he was moving well. Hope that means he plays tomorrow.

Reactions: bdub24

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
For Tweet of the night that Mason answers maybe ask

"Why is NHL more secretive regarding injuries than other sports leagues"

It's concise so might be chosen. I might even get an account, if lots of you have one then do that game after game. Might take a few games to get their attention but what's to lose by trying? The injury subject will come up in game comments.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Why would you tell the other team your best player is nursing a hand injury before a game? Theyre gonna be slashing that hand all night.

I think it's perfectly legit to not disclose medical information. None of our business honestly, other than knowing a player is out for x amount of games/weeks...

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Why would you tell the other team your best player is nursing a hand injury before a game? Theyre gonna be slashing that hand all night.

I think it's perfectly legit to not disclose medical information. None of our business honestly, other than knowing a player is out for x amount of games/weeks...
I'm not in disagreement with you, and I don't know where you live (I know we have international posters here so who knows) but in the US at least we're used to knowing what the injuries no matter the sport. It's just weird to not know because that's not what we're used to. For all I know, you could live in Nashville but I'm guessing that's where a lot of the frustration comes from.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
I'm not in disagreement with you, and I don't know where you live (I know we have international posters here so who knows) but in the US at least we're used to knowing what the injuries no matter the sport. It's just weird to not know because that's not what we're used to. For all I know, you could live in Nashville but I'm guessing that's where a lot of the frustration comes from.

From Nashville but i live in CO..... just look at football these days with the new pullover medical tent on the sideline. Seems like a disadvantage to release that info

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
From Nashville but i live in CO..... just look at football these days with the new pullover medical tent on the sideline. Seems like a disadvantage to release that info
Yeah I agree, I just think the NHL is the only league we have that doesn't disclose what the injury is so it's a little strange. I get it, I just think we naturally expect to know what's going on.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Every other sports league in the world discloses their injuries, and players getting hurt because of it is virtually non-existent.

As far as it being none of our business- just my opinion but I don't buy that either- without us fans, there would be no league and no injuries to disclose.

And finally- you say "other than knowing a player is out for x amount of games/weeks". Well heck, we don't even get that most of the time. Does anyone know how long Turris and Subban are out??? Nope

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I don't mind the team not revealing players' personal medical information. Why it's such a big difference between NHL and other major leagues as you said, it's a good question. Has it "always" been like this for NHL? Anyone recall how it was, say 10 years ago?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I don't mind the team not revealing players' personal medical information. Why it's such a big difference between NHL and other major leagues as you said, it's a good question. Has it "always" been like this for NHL? Anyone recall how it was, say 10 years ago?
it's always been hush hush. sullivan started as an upper body injury and was Day to day. he almost never played again because of his back.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I would assume, as probably already theorized, it has to do with the real concern over a player's injury being targeted by opposing players. Unlike even football, the frequency of games in the NHL and the unpredictability of the physical contact leads to a much higher potential for re-injury or aggravation of existing injury. For a broken wrist, to a certain extent you can mitigate the potential for re-injury in football through the way you protect it and understanding the contexts it would be exposed to further injury (they're relatively predictable). In hockey, you can't protect or plan against a guy getting intentionally slashed across the same wrist, etc...

I can understand why the current policy/practice is extremely aggravating to fans, but frankly, I can't find a valid justification for why fans NEED to know the specific details of player injuries.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I would assume, as probably already theorized, it has to do with the real concern over a player's injury being targeted by opposing players. Unlike even football, the frequency of games in the NHL and the unpredictability of the physical contact leads to a much higher potential for re-injury or aggravation of existing injury. For a broken wrist, to a certain extent you can mitigate the potential for re-injury in football through the way you protect it and understanding the contexts it would be exposed to further injury (they're relatively predictable). In hockey, you can't protect or plan against a guy getting intentionally slashed across the same wrist, etc...

I can understand why the current policy/practice is extremely aggravating to fans, but frankly, I can't find a valid justification for why fans NEED to know the specific details of player injuries.
Totally agree.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
the only reason that the NFL began giving detailed injury reports was how much it effected the huge betting lines on NFL and then later college games once legalized sports gambling really took off. years ago, you knew nothing about NFL football injuries either. If NHL betting ever really got to those levels we would see something different from the NHL as well.

Reactions: 101st_fan

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

I understand completely what you are saying, and this is always the explanation offered.

But not to beat a dead horse, but I am still not buying it as a valid reason. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but most of the time, by the time a player returns from a lengthy time out, the nature of the injury is known. Do we ever have a case where a guy is out 3 months, serves that time and comes back and no one ever knows what the injury was??

Again, maybe I am in the minority but I think the fans do have the right to have SOME information. I really don't even care all that much about what the specific injury is, but I at least would like to know some kind of time frame a player will be out, even if it is just an estimate. As fans who fork out thousands of dollars to the team, (without whom there would be no league) I do think we deserve that much. And many times, we don't even get that (see Subban and Turris).

RedWillys

Dec 13, 2017
PK isn’t in tonight. He just posted a video at the Preds office. Hope he’s getting some skating in.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I understand completely what you are saying, and this is always the explanation offered.

But not to beat a dead horse, but I am still not buying it as a valid reason. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but most of the time, by the time a player returns from a lengthy time out, the nature of the injury is known. Do we ever have a case where a guy is out 3 months, serves that time and comes back and no one ever knows what the injury was??

Again, maybe I am in the minority but I think the fans do have the right to have SOME information. I really don't even care all that much about what the specific injury is, but I at least would like to know some kind of time frame a player will be out, even if it is just an estimate. As fans who fork out thousands of dollars to the team, (without whom there would be no league) I do think we deserve that much. And many times, we don't even get that (see Subban and Turris).
Well, I get it, but, with all due respect, it really comes across as a bit entitled. My return for spending money on the team is to see them play and to enjoy the merchandise I own. If I lived remotely near enough to be a STH, the info they give is enough for me to make an informed decision about what to do with my tickets if favored players are out of the lineup. It also gives me a vague idea of when they may be back. I don't believe I am owed anything further than that.

For perspective, I and other Kings fans sat through over a year of waiting for Adam Deadmarsh and Jason Allison to come back and re-unite the LAPD line for the Kings (they were the Kings version of JOFA) with always an indication their return might be "just around the corner." Deadmarsh never played hockey again and Allison's contract expired and he bounced around a few places before retiring as well. What we get with the Preds is far better than that experience, though I get how frustrating it can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: triggrman

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Well, I get it, but, with all due respect, it really comes across as a bit entitled. My return for spending money on the team is to see them play and to enjoy the merchandise I own. If I lived remotely near enough to be a STH, the info they give is enough for me to make an informed decision about what to do with my tickets if favored players are out of the lineup. It also gives me a vague idea of when they may be back. I don't believe I am owed anything further than that.

For perspective, I and other Kings fans sat through over a year of waiting for Adam Deadmarsh and Jason Allison to come back and re-unite the LAPD line for the Kings (they were the Kings version of JOFA) with always an indication their return might be "just around the corner." Deadmarsh never played hockey again and Allison's contract expired and he bounced around a few places before retiring as well. What we get with the Preds is far better than that experience, though I get how frustrating it can be.

We are definitely beating a dead horse here, so I will just say this and be done with it- all I am asking for as a fan is tell me how long a guy is going to be out. You don't have to tell me the injury- I really couldn't care less about that.

But I would like to know some reasonable time frame though- even if it is just an estimate. I don't think that is too much to ask. The NHL isn't so unique or special that they have to do this differently than every other sports league in the world, college or pro- which is what they do.

If that is entitled then so be it....

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think there's a fine line between what we want to know and what we "deserve" to know. In theory we deserve nothing based on the fact that it's a performance based business so if they don't want to disclose information, that sucks, but it's whatever. Fans spend their money on the product but it's a product based around the players so if they want to "protect" them by not releasing injury info so be it. Now whether or not it truly protects them is another debate altogether

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Subban is badly missed
Looks happy like crazy with Lindsay on Instagram
Hoping he comes back all charged up for you guys,,,,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad