Injury Report: Injuries Thread: 2018-19 Edition

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Grimaldi... Salomaki... Rinaldo... Gaudreau... this is a lot of stop-gapping already, but I see Leipsic on waivers and wouldn't mind returning to him. I always had high hopes from his junior years, and that trade didn't pan out to much for us.

It's not like Leipsic has done a lot but 30 pts in 81 games in the NHL now is not actually too shabby. Of course, we're not sitting in a great spot in the waiver claim order so I don't see actually getting him (or anybody else of use who ends up on waivers).

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If the last 2 postseasons have taught me anything it’s that a better seed simply means I get to pay for more home playoff games.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
What happened to Forsberg? Does anyone know?
No clue.

All I've seen is that his last shift was with about 6 minutes left in the third period of the AZ (It's possible that he did get injured in the Colorado game like NoNeck said, but tried to play through it and it got worse in the AZ game) game. He didn't participate in practice Friday and was not at the optional skate Saturday morning. The only thing we've heard is, hand injury, 4-6 weeks.

He had a hand injury last year around this same time. Remember last new years eve when Fiala's girlfriend instagrammed some pictures of Forsberg, Fiala and Ekholm playing mini hockey and accidentally showed Forsberg's fully wrapped hand.

I have no clue if this is related to that or something completely new or even which hand is injured.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Pick a bone ... assume he broke it ... wait 4-6 weeks for it to heal. That is the closest to an honest assessment we're going to get from the team.

This isn't the Trotz era so its unlikely that Forsberg is dead and the resurrection process will take 4-6 weeks.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I remember him on the bench wincing and stretching his left side on the game before he was out. Could be something other than hand?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I will go on my semi-regular rant about the NHL and how they handle injury information.

It is ridiculous to me that no one has any idea what is going on with Turris and Subban. It is another one of the great NHL injury mysteries.

I know some will come back with Hipaa/Privacy, etc, etc.

But no other sport- college or pro does this to this extent. NFL has an injury report each week. Colleges have injury information. I am a Bama fan- Saban opens every Monday press conference with an injury update. Tua got injured in the SECC game Saturday and on Sunday we knew exactly the situation- high ankle sprain- had it scoped Sunday- hopes to be back in 2-3 weeks.

Call me crazy but I do think we fans, some of who fork over thousands of dollars to the team/league, have a right to know what is going on.

What worries me about Turris and Subban is this- the Preds came out with a timetable (4 to 6 weeks) fairly quickly with Arvy and Forsberg, but with Turris and Subban no information and no timetable.

That is very concerning.

Reactions: Tex76

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
NFL teams face fines if they don't disclose exactly what an injury is. Pretty sure it has something to do with Vegas/fantasy.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
A more apt comparison might be MLB since there are franchises in both USA & Canada in that league and the NHL. What are the requirements/expectations in MLB?

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
The other leagues believe an accurate and timely injury report is an essential component of maintaining the integrity of their sport.

The NHL doesn't.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I would think that keeping it private is all about what will happen on the ice when the player returns. If there is a tender spot, chances are the opponent will try to aggravate it and potentially turn a nuisance injury into something longer lasting.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I would think that keeping it private is all about what will happen on the ice when the player returns. If there is a tender spot, chances are the opponent will try to aggravate it and potentially turn a nuisance injury into something longer lasting.
Not an issue in other sports. How many instances do we actually have of this happening? The only one I can think of is Johnny Gaudrea's a few years back.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That was my thought too but the NFL doesn't seem to care, and we know how much integrity that league has. Wait....

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Not an issue in other sports. How many instances do we actually have of this happening? The only one I can think of is Johnny Gaudrea's a few years back.

Yes- exactly this.

Whenever this comes up, someone always brings up trying keep the opponent from taking advantage. But as TitansVolsPreds says, why isn't that an issue in any other sport?

There is just no logical reason for the extreme secrecy.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I don't mean to double dip but just thought about this... If Subban's neck issue didn't get press, do you think Crosby still tries to dribble his head in the Stanley Cup final?

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
If you know someone has a small fracture on their hand for example, you probably take an advantage of it in playoffs. You want to win so bad you don't care if the other guy is gonna spend the whole summer rehabbing that hand. You know you probably aren't going to and you don't want to jeopardize the players career, but applying some pressure, maybe little chops in front of the net etc. that can keep that player out of the remaining games. Let him heal it in offseason. That's a big advantage when this said player is opponent's #1C, best faceoffman, best defensive defenseman or most dangerous shooter.

Of course there are players that aren't going to do it under any circumstances, but you know guys like Watson, Salomaki and Rinaldo as prime examples are not gonna ignore the vulnerability.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I don't mean to double dip but just thought about this... If Subban's neck issue didn't get press, do you think Crosby still tries to dribble his head in the Stanley Cup final?

You are a dirty player or you aren't. In Sid's case, it is obvious.

Reactions: bdub24

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
If you know someone has a small fracture on their hand for example, you probably take an advantage of it in playoffs. You want to win so bad you don't care if the other guy is gonna spend the whole summer rehabbing that hand. You know you probably aren't going to and you don't want to jeopardize the players career, but applying some pressure, maybe little chops in front of the net etc. that can keep that player out of the remaining games. Let him heal it in offseason. That's a big advantage when this said player is opponent's #1C, best faceoffman, best defensive defenseman or most dangerous shooter.

Of course there are players that aren't going to do it under any circumstances, but you know guys like Watson, Salomaki and Rinaldo as prime examples are not gonna ignore the vulnerability.

I get all of that- but is this just an NHL only thing???? Because, again, the disclosure of injuries in every other sport has led to none of these issues.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

So he says “a couple of them”. Since we know Arvy and Forsberg will definitely not be back until January he has to be talking about Subban and Turris.

So maybe that is at least a hint that maybe those two are not long term deals??

I’m Just looking for some ray of hope- if we got Turris and Subban back next week that would be incredible news

But I’ll believe it when I see it

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad