Injury Report: Injured Players Thread (3/6: Staal Out Indefinitely; Not Career Threatening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Again, this board seems to be suffering from a case of diagnosing players on their own based on nothing but a few seconds of video review.

You don't see how he lands in the replay. I've checked at least 5 times. The angle is really poor and it cuts out right before he lands.

From that angle, its possible that he lands on his head, yes, but what looks more likely to me is that he lands on his shoulder, with his head following shortly thereafter.

While I can sit here and muse how his facial expressions mean he has a concussion, I wont. I think a stronger possibility is that when he fell he twisted his body so he landed on his shoulder and back more and the wind was knocked out of him - explaining his dazed look. I think a strong possibility is also that he awkwardly fell on his neck and suffered from whiplash. Unless his head violently whipped unto the ice after he made initial contact (which we don't see) I don't see how this could be that injury. Either way, we can't just assume its a concussion, especially after that review.

Hoping its not the worst, a few maintenance days, and then back on the ice.

Jeez, had he gotten up on his own and skated to the wrong end of the ice you people would probably diagnose him with premature dementia.

Bwahahaha!!! Wind knocked out of him? Whiplash? Oh my god.

Here you rant about making a diagnosis and yet you are putting forth two. The difference is, yours are actually laughable.

BarbaraAlphanse

Bwahahaha!!! Wind knocked out of him? Whiplash? Oh my god.

Here you rant about making a diagnosis and yet you are putting forth two. The difference is, yours are actually laughable.

I didn't diagnose anyone. I didn't claim that I knew a time table or even an injury. I offered an alternative view to what could have happened since many make doom and gloom proclamations and they almost never come true.

You don't see the injury. All you see is his reaction.

Also, have you ever gotten the wind knocked out of you? When I played soccer in hs I had a similar thing happen to me as Powe did. I went up for a header, the other guy cut out my legs from under me, i fell straight on my back/ribs. Wind knocked right out of me, i nearly blacked out. I'm sure i looked as dazed as Powe. As for whiplash, in the scenario I gave that would be a viable reason for why they held him out for the rest of the game. Its not uncommon and the way he landed could have more than induced a significant amount of discomfort from, yes, whiplash.

16 To Stanley*

I didn't diagnose anyone. I didn't claim that I knew a time table or even an injury. I offered an alternative view to what could have happened since many make doom and gloom proclamations and they almost never come true.

Also, have you ever gotten the wind knocked out of you? When I played soccer in hs I had a similar thing happen to me as Powe did. I went up for a header, the other guy cut out my legs from under me, i fell straight on my back/ribs. Wind knocked right out of me, i nearly blacked out. I'm sure i looked as dazed as Powe. As for whiplash, in the scenario I gave that would be a viable reason for why they held him out for the rest of the game. Its not uncommon and the way he landed could have more than induced a significant amount of discomfort from, yes, whiplash.

I have no clue what powe will be diagnosed with. I like many others am inclined to guess its a concussion. I also had the wind knocked out of me in a high school hockey game. I was speared, accidentally, right under my ribs. I almost blacked out and everyone thought I was seriously injured. Had it not been the third period I would have been able to come back in the same game. That's why I don't think powe just had the wind knocked out of him.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord
#NYR confirm Darroll Powe has been placed on injured reserve due to a concussion.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

no one was guessing

Greg NYR

Aug 19, 2007
sucks. smart acquisition who knew his role and was filling it nicely, hopefully he makes a quick recovery.

*Bob Richards*

****. I was really warming up to the guy. Completely changed the 4th line with his swap for Rupp. Get better soon, Powe. :(

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
Damn it. I really like Powe's game since he was acquired. He's one of those guys who does everything you want from a 4th liner but is still skilled enough to be an "energy" player and pin the other team deep in their zone.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
That just totally sucks. He was really good for us in his short time playing. Hope he recovers quickly and this doesn't totally derail him like it has Sauer.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010

You put forth your assessment same as anyone else did, and you are just as guilty. The difference is, you tried to put yourself on a pedestal; looking down upon us condescendingly and with admonishment, as if we were being irrational or ridiculous with our assessments, when it was you who in fact gave a far more ridiculous scenario. Or two actually. I mean whiplash?? Yeah, whiplash that bad yet they don't carry him off on a board as precaution. Cause like, that makes sense and stuff. And wind knocked out of him? That was the most laughable of all... And yes, trust me, people reading were laughing...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny
As for Darroll Powe, Torts was full of praise for him, and said he wasn't sure how long Powe will be sidelined

Torts loves him. As I said, he is the perfect player for this system. Does all of the little things. Hits hard, quick on the puck, hard to play against.

Tough break. Hope he gets back soon.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
yea he was helping balancing out the lines........hopefully he gets back sometime soon, no rush of course still alot of the season left and playoffs are what matters.

Mashinter should play now, maybe Kreider too and Miller watched? I dont think Kreider should be sitting around watching all the time

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I didnt catch the game but watching the video i wasnt surprised by the concision (no one should have been). Having a collision like that when you dont know its coming makes it so much worse then bigger hits when you do see it a split second before it happens.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I don't know about him not seeing it coming...it looks like he kind of tried to jump up and out of the way at the last second.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
Grandfather them in.

At least visors.

CHL and NCAA and below are mandated anyway.

It shouldn't be a choice anymore.

I didn't want to derail the thread. But its an issue I've always felt strongly about. And got on the subject because Staal's concussion was brought up.

And guess how much your opinion means? Nothing.

You're not a player, you're not an owner. It's really none of your business.

Face masks would be bad for the game. Fighting, post whistle scrums, and other violence is a big selling point of the game. And face masks do not prevent the serious injuries. They don't prevent a hit to the head. Proper visors properly worn prevent most eye injuries (Really thin visors pushed all the way up don't count. I feel like players wear those just for style or something, because they offer zero protection). Injuries to the lower part of the face don't impact play. There's plenty of players who have lost teeth and come back in the same game. Sucks for them, but a fan this is not your business and not your concern. As a fan, I could care less if a player loses his teeth because of a puck to the jaw because it doesn't impact on ice performance (besides missing part of a game). Most of the players who have lost teeth seem like they don't really care that much. And I haven't heard of any of them lobbying for face masks.

Also, with regards to powe, I don't think a face mask would've prevented his injury, or made it any less severe. The shock from that kind of collision can't be absorbed by a small piece of metal.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Was loving his fierce play and tenacious PK. Hopefully he's back soon.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: