Injury Report: Injured Players Thread (3/6: Staal Out Indefinitely; Not Career Threatening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
MOD EDIT: All player injuries will be posted here from now on. Any new threads created involving player injuries will be merged here.

Ugly collision, he look so out of it. Hoping for a quick recovery.

Updates:
Seth Rothman ‏@RothmanHockey

#Rangers confirm Darroll Powe has been diagnosed with a concussion. Brandon Mashinter has been recalled from Whale. Kreider remains w/ team

Last edited by a moderator:

Punxrocknyc19*

Blair Jones is on waivers. I wonder if Slats will pick him up...

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
If its a concussion, my guess is that it probably isn't a serious one. The helmet stayed on, and I think Powe was more dazed than anything else.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Blair Jones is on waivers. I wonder if Slats will pick him up...

Jones has another yr on his deal so I doubt he gets claimed. Likely means Kreider is in and they should move Boyle to the 4th line but Torts is drunk

OR Haley is doing well in CT. could finally get a call?

Last edited:

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
If its a concussion, my guess is that it probably isn't a serious one. The helmet stayed on, and I think Powe was more dazed than anything else.

really? my guess is the opposite, he looked OUT. and if the helmet stays on or flies off is no indicator of the severity of a head injury imo. I'd be surprised if we see him back this year. (yeah, might be too early to speculate about that though, every concussion is different)

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
The good news is that his spine wasn't damaged.

The bad news is that is most likely (as in, I'd be alot of money on it) a concussion. The dazed look, the confusion, difficulty getting off the ice under his own power, all telltale signs.

The mechanism of injury is certainly there, as well. He went up to try to avoid Hendricks, ended up inverted, and the entirety of his weight came down on his head.

I'm not too optimistic.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A lot of guys finish the game with a concussion, when I see a guy have to be helped off the ice you prepare for the worst, while hoping for the best.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011

Helmets reduce chance of concussion, as well as potentially the severity, but they type of trauma Powe sustained, it's unlikely it made that much of a difference.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
he's going to be out a few games for sure...just as a precaution even if he's fine....

ive' had 4 or 5 concussions now in my lifetime, only once was i like him...that one had memory loss...so in all likelyhood he's going to be out a while.

SupersonicMonkey*

Marc Staal's helmet stayed on and he ended up missing half of a season.

What could have prevented Staal's concussion, is a visor. Instead of his face impacting the ice, the visor would have taken the impact.

I once got tripped up and landed square on my face. Except my full facial protection saved me. No concussion. Nothing. Up and back into the play.

I understand its their choice, for now anyway, but at some point common sense needs to take over and these guys need to start using the available protection.

Visors (I'd prefer full face masks, don't need fighting, don't need to see their faces either), neck guards, wrist guards, cut resistant socks and jerseys, foot protectors.

None of these things prohibit play. And all of them could prevent career/life altering/ending injuries.

NHL talks a big game about safety, and does nothing to really solve issues.

Eventually, players need to accept that they are investments, and the team is above their "cool factor".

NCAA gets away fine with no fights and full facial protection. No worries about eye injuries. But injuries still happen. Kreider broke his jaw getting hit by a puck.

There's a linesman in a game against the Flyers I believe it was, Rangers vs Flyers, several years ago. There was a collision by two players near the boards, in the neutral zone, a skate came up and hit the linesman in the face. Nothing was mentioned other then he got hit and hope he's well. Months later it was revealed that he required full facial reconstruction, he suffers from vertigo permanently, he had to learn how to speak again. It was a life altering event.

He had a visor on. A mask would have prevented that.

Zhednik nearly died because he got his neck slit. A neck guard would have prevented that.

Had Sauer had a mask, the straps would have kept his helmet secure. No hitting his bare head on the top dasher.

Every game I worry about some incident like this happening. And its a miracle it doesn't happen more often.

Simple pieces of equipment can prevent these injuries.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Judging by the look in his eyes when he was laying on the ice, he was in the next galaxy.

He won't be back any time soon.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I see less dirty hits in the NCAA than the NHL. Then again, guy aren't played by NCAA coaches specifically to go out and hurt players. I chalk that one up more to the Canadian Juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad