Injury Report: Injured Players Thread (3/6: Staal Out Indefinitely; Not Career Threatening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Absolutely unexpected sequence by both players colliding into each other. Hope Powe gets better & as soon as possible. We need him for the fourth line/penalty kill.

Slick Rick 61

Jul 11, 2007
Tough loss for the team, as Powe was fitting in well, and provided that high-energy level that was missing in this year's team. That was quite scary to watch. Definite concussion; who knows how long he'll be out. Hope he's feeling OK.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Freak accident....Both players looking the wrong way and none were prepared for the impact...

Concussion is likely the verdict here..

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Would say it's highly likely to be a concussion, and probably a bad one at that.

Helmet stayed on? Just dazed? Can't even take that sentiment seriously. He was well beyond dazed. He was out cold. When he came to, he could barely move, or speak, or even open his eyes more than a sliver. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even know who he was at that point. He wasn't just out of it, he was scary out of it. Scary to watch, scary to see the look on his face, how limp and dead his body, his movements, his facial expressions, all were. This is a pretty tough guy we're talking about here, and he was completely and utterly knocked senseless, and had to be helped off the ice in such a way that you could tell he would've collapsed straightaway if they let go of him.

Lord knows we've had pleasant surprises lately, so maybe this will turn out to be minor. But of all the concussive plays I've seen in my years of hockey? The look on his face had all the signs of a season ending concussion.

Panfork

Pacioretty Hater
Feb 1, 2010
NY
Definitely a classic concussion. Textbook. He momentarily lost consciousness, and had severe motor impairment afterwards, followed by disorientation. If he started to get up and kind of just stumbled around a bit, I could see the argument that he might have just been dazed.

A helmet does not fully prevent a concussion. Concussions are usually caused by the brain kind of rocking in an awkward position and slamming against the skull from a loss of inertia rather than the physical trauma itself.

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
Yeah, full face masks prevent injuries, no kidding.

But the problem is, you can't have some players with face masks and some players without (due to the injuries it would cause if someone's face mask hits someone's uncovered face). And you can't mandate that all players wear face masks.

Just like how players choose not to wear visors. It's their choice.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've no doubt he's concussed and maybe out for the rest of the season but no stretcher--they did get him back on his feet--that at least is something.

Apr 10, 2012
looked like a freak accident. really did not look good for him on the ice. he looked completely disheveled. few games minimum, hopefully not too many because he was filling a much needed role on the forecheck for us. going to be missed.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I really hope he is alright. I thought he was a perfect no nonsense player for this team.....

if this was Rupp everyone would be like that sucks get better but yay he's out of the lineup......the Powe deal was a real solid small one...saves 500K on the cap and they get a way more useful player.Sather has been good at making something out of nothing. Mind you he signed the nothing.

Gomez for McD
Voros for Eminger,,,,,,,,,still a bum for a roster player

Even the Grant for Mashinter is working well in CT anyway.

Apr 10, 2012
if this was Rupp everyone would be like that sucks get better but yay he's out of the lineup......the Powe deal was a real solid small one...saves 500K on the cap and they get a way more useful player.Sather has been good at making something out of nothing. Mind you he signed the nothing.

Gomez for McD
Voros for Eminger,,,,,,,,,still a bum for a roster player

Even the Grant for Mashinter is working well in CT anyway.

i disagree... if it was rupp, you'd have all the rupp lovers come out of the woodwork-- saying what a great player he was and how difficult it will be to replace his toughness on the ice and all that. not many people would be saying "YAY RUPP IS OUT OF THE LINEUP"... rupp wasn't HORRIBLE in his position (he even tapped in a goal the other night). he's a 4th line tough guy just 1 step above an enforcer. overpaid-- that's the issue with rupp.

going to be interesting to see if kreider goes back in right away or we get a callup... maybe mashinter to start

SupersonicMonkey*

Yeah, full face masks prevent injuries, no kidding.

But the problem is, you can't have some players with face masks and some players without (due to the injuries it would cause if someone's face mask hits someone's uncovered face). And you can't mandate that all players wear face masks.

Just like how players choose not to wear visors. It's their choice.

Grandfather them in.

At least visors.

CHL and NCAA and below are mandated anyway.

It shouldn't be a choice anymore.

I didn't want to derail the thread. But its an issue I've always felt strongly about. And got on the subject because Staal's concussion was brought up.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
i disagree... if it was rupp, you'd have all the rupp lovers come out of the woodwork-- saying what a great player he was and how difficult it will be to replace his toughness on the ice and all that. not many people would be saying "YAY RUPP IS OUT OF THE LINEUP"... rupp wasn't HORRIBLE in his position (he even tapped in a goal the other night). he's a 4th line tough guy just 1 step above an enforcer. overpaid-- that's the issue with rupp.

going to be interesting to see if kreider goes back in right away or we get a callup... maybe mashinter to start

heck I supported Rupp but the guy was just too slow at this stage in his career. I imagine they are placing Kreider back in........I would move Boyle to the 4th line and use Kreider with Miller and Pyatt

Although Mashinter does make alot of sense as a 4th line fill in and apparently he is doing really well in CT so likely deserves a call up...........he is also a UFA so if they want him back it would be a good idea to give the kid a shot since he's earning it with his play.

BarbaraAlphanse

Again, this board seems to be suffering from a case of diagnosing players on their own based on nothing but a few seconds of video review.

You don't see how he lands in the replay. I've checked at least 5 times. The angle is really poor and it cuts out right before he lands.

From that angle, its possible that he lands on his head, yes, but what looks more likely to me is that he lands on his shoulder, with his head following shortly thereafter.

While I can sit here and muse how his facial expressions mean he has a concussion, I wont. I think a stronger possibility is that when he fell he twisted his body so he landed on his shoulder and back more and the wind was knocked out of him - explaining his dazed look. I think a strong possibility is also that he awkwardly fell on his neck and suffered from whiplash. Unless his head violently whipped unto the ice after he made initial contact (which we don't see) I don't see how this could be that injury. Either way, we can't just assume its a concussion, especially after that review.

Hoping its not the worst, a few maintenance days, and then back on the ice.

Jeez, had he gotten up on his own and skated to the wrong end of the ice you people would probably diagnose him with premature dementia.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Again, this board seems to be suffering from a case of diagnosing players on their own based on nothing but a few seconds of video review.

You don't see how he lands in the replay. I've checked at least 5 times. The angle is really poor and it cuts out right before he lands.

From that angle, its possible that he lands on his head, yes, but what looks more likely to me is that he lands on his shoulder, with his head following shortly thereafter.

While I can sit here and muse how his facial expressions mean he has a concussion, I wont. I think a stronger possibility is that when he fell he twisted his body so he landed on his shoulder and back more and the wind was knocked out of him - explaining his dazed look. I think a strong possibility is also that he awkwardly fell on his neck and suffered from whiplash. Unless his head violently whipped unto the ice after he made initial contact (which we don't see) I don't see how this could be that injury. Either way, we can't just assume its a concussion, especially after that review.

Hoping its not the worst, a few maintenance days, and then back on the ice.

Jeez, had he gotten up on his own and skated to the wrong end of the ice you people would probably diagnose him with premature dementia.

agreed......people flip out way to easy, if we were GMs the whole team would be changed from yr to yr as well.............he could be fine, Cally was...........glass half full or glass half empty........?

stenis22

Jan 13, 2013
Jeez that looked bad, the 1000 mile stare in his eyes. Creepy, hope is allright

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Yes, I thought he landed on his upper back/shoulder and then his head afterwards.

How would full face masks have prevented this?

BarbaraAlphanse

Yes, I thought he landed on his upper back/shoulder and then his head afterwards.

How would full face masks have prevented this?

People just reasoning to themselves that they know more about player safety than the league does.

A protective bubble would have prevented this though. Maybe NHL department of safety should look into mandating a bubble suit?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
People just reasoning to themselves that they know more about player safety than the league does.

A protective bubble would have prevented this though. Maybe NHL department of safety should look into mandating a bubble suit?

or at least start with this...

astronaut-helmet.jpg

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Probably caught a concussion from Nash...

Nah! More like a total body bruise. Guy got caught looking the other way while he was exhaling. Day to day.

In all seriousness though, hopeful that Powe feels better and recovers quickly.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
before i had seen it, i assumed it was hendricks doing his spend-a-whole-shift-looking-to-plaster-someone-with-his-head-down shtick. but having checked it out, it seems pretty much like just bad luck. not sure that submarining a guy is called for, could have just grabbed out-of-control powe. but i will say hendricks looks innocent in this case.

hope powe's ok. i'm guessing not, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad