Injury Report: Infirmary Thread '15-16 [Davidson, Ference, Klefbom, Gryba, Pouliot, Nuge]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I talked to a few oilers at the bar tonight, for what it's worth, Davidson tore his MCL and is out indefinitely, Klef has had 3 surgeries to remove the Staph infection with little improvement, he is basically at the mercy of this infection. Not expected back this year. Unfortunately can't provide a source beyond direct conversation.

Respectfully, there is no way in hell Klefbom would be skating in full gear if there wasn't significant improvement with his infection.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Respectfully, there is no way in hell Klefbom would be skating in full gear if there wasn't significant improvement with his infection.

In all fairness it did sound like he was completely screwed to start. He was suppose to be back after a week of skating, but from what I gather these things can flare up especially when sweating in equipment.

Doesn't really matter at this point to me. I just view this a concussion. One good day then 4 bad.

ffffffff

Mar 8, 2006

You're right, poor choice of words late last night. Impression was he's had 3 surgeries and the infection is not going away , apparently his foot/ankle gets incredibly swollen after putting skates on. Oiler(Davidson) said they have no idea on return, it's all based on the staph clearing up.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well that's totally ****** news on Klefbom... I hope to McDavid that this doesn't effect him longer term... but even in the shorter term this has to be affecting not only his development but his life off the ice as well.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
yeah, terrible news for klefbom

turns out that i was right in saying that this could very well be career-threatening ... i would have rather been wrong though

Ill go with what coaches and gM has said, and that hes close. Skating all ready again

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
you can go ahead and believe the people who have consistently been wrong, and out-right lied, about players health if you want, i can't stop you

When have they out right lied? Was the picture of him skating photoshopped then?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
i'm not referring to their information around klefbom, that has been accurate from what i can tell (if somewhat late in arriving, but that is a different issue)

When have Chiarelli and McLellan lied about a players health? They're not overly forthcoming with information. But that's not lying.

Pinnerdink

Sep 19, 2007
Edmonton
Most of the news with Klefbom is 'hearsay' on both sides.

However, I think everything aligns with what we have been told and seen.

Klef has/had staph infection, had surgery(s) to help, skated in gear, possibly reacted with swelling, is waiting for it to go away...

Even TM said 'if everything goes to plan, he should be back, but its always 1 step forward, 2 back' or something to that ilk (this was about a week or two ago)

So...none of this surprises me or insinuates any lying from any side?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
casket-stock.jpg

any more news?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If it is a MRSA infection then it can go dormant and come back. It's defining trait is that it is resistant to most if not all antibiotics

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If it is a MRSA infection then it can go dormant and come back. It's defining trait is that it is resistant to most if not all antibiotics

at some point we need to start having a serious conversation about what to do with klefbom... there is a pretty decent chance that this is a career-affecting injury... we might regret signing him to that long term contract as early as next year... maybe we expose him in the expansion draft? i could easily see this happening if we end up trading for a "hamonic type" dman in the off-season.... protecting sekera, davison, and the "hamonic type" would make a lot of sense... the injury concerns with klefbom would likely prevent las vegas from taking him, or they would think he was young enough to bounce back from the injury-woes, and take him off our hands

all of this is a moot point if the infection doesn't affect him long term, but the more surgeries he has to remove more and more tissue, the less likely that scenario becomes... i'd be very surprised if this isn't "whitney 2.0", and doesn't affect klefbom long term

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
at some point we need to start having a serious conversation about what to do with klefbom... there is a pretty decent chance that this is a career-affecting injury... we might regret signing him to that long term contract as early as next year... maybe we expose him in the expansion draft? i could easily see this happening if we end up trading for a "hamonic type" dman in the off-season.... protecting sekera, davison, and the "hamonic type" would make a lot of sense... the injury concerns with klefbom would likely prevent las vegas from taking him, or they would think he was young enough to bounce back from the injury-woes, and take him off our hands

all of this is a moot point if the infection doesn't affect him long term, but the more surgeries he has to remove more and more tissue, the less likely that scenario becomes... i'd be very surprised if this isn't "whitney 2.0", and doesn't affect klefbom long term

I don't think we're at that point yet. It's not like he blew out his knee or anything like that. We don't know exactly what damage he's had but it's more than likely just removing pieces of flesh if he gets good enough to skate now and then. He'll likely be 100% to start next season. If he can get a few games in this season, then great, but it's not required.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
No offense to the poster but teams keep their cards pretty close to the vest when it comes to injuries these days. They barely even tell the media anything and these are people they interact with every day. I don't see why players would just dish all this in depth information to a stranger at the bar. I'd bet Chia, TM and other teammates wouldn't be too pleased with guys just putting factual information regarding these things out there.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Apparently Klefbom skated today in a tracksuit and special skate. Clearly done for the season... Will he ever play again?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Apparently Klefbom skated today in a tracksuit and special skate. Clearly done for the season... Will he ever play again?

At this point, just shut him down, get him off the ice completely, do whatever surgeries are necessary and focus on getting him ready for September. Nothing else that can be done.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
In an effort to talk people off of the ledge, I thought I'd post the following:

Klefbom has staph infection from a "lace bite" (source.)

So, what is a CA-MRSA infection, why does he have it, and what's the likely prognosis?

"In the past, MRSA infected people who had chronic illnesses. But now MRSA has become more common in healthy people. These infections can occur among people who have scratches, cuts, or wounds and who have close contact with one another, such as members of sports teams. This type of MRSA is called community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA)." (link)

"Community-associated MRSA commonly causes skin infections, such as boils, abscesses, or cellulitis. Often, people think they have been bitten by a spider or insect."

You could Google what this looks like, but, I'd recommend not.

"Most cases of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) begin as mild skin infections such as pimples or boils. Your doctor may be able to treat these infections without antibiotics by using a minor surgical procedure that opens and drains the sores."

If there are sores, the common approach is to surgically open or lance the sores, draining the pus.

If he presents with just cellulitis, he's likely being treated with Vancomycin.

He's likely treating parts of his body with Mupirocin. Common recommendation is for nasal decolonization, given twice a day for 5 to 10 days. He likely has to bath in a bleach solution for 10 minutes at a time.

Now, for the bad news:

"Among 244 participants with one-month colonization data, modified intention-to-treat analysis revealed S. aureus eradication in 38% of participants in the education only (control) group; 56% in the mupirocin group (p=0.03 vs. controls); 55% in the mupirocin/chlorhexidine group (p=0.05); and 63% in the mupirocin/bleach group (p=0.006). Of 229 participants with four-month colonization data, eradication rates were 48% in controls; 56% for mupirocin only (p=0.40 vs. controls); 54% for mupirocin/chlorhexidine (p=0.51); and 71% for mupirocin/bleach (p=0.02). At one and four months, respectively, recurrent SSTI was reported by 20% and 36% of participants." (link)

Klefbom likely falls into the 39% that weren't eradicated in the four months. He'll continue the protocol, and try to eradicate it. The good news, and I'll post an addendum, is that while recurrent PC-MSRA is difficult to eradicate, it can be done.

Last edited:

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
In an effort to talk people off of the ledge, I thought I'd post the following:

Klefbom has staph infection from a "lace bite" (source.)

So, what is a CA-MRSA infection, why does he have it, and what's the likely prognosis?

"In the past, MRSA infected people who had chronic illnesses. But now MRSA has become more common in healthy people. These infections can occur among people who have scratches, cuts, or wounds and who have close contact with one another, such as members of sports teams. This type of MRSA is called community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA)." (link)

"Community-associated MRSA commonly causes skin infections, such as boils, abscesses, or cellulitis. Often, people think they have been bitten by a spider or insect."

"Most cases of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) begin as mild skin infections such as pimples or boils. Your doctor may be able to treat these infections without antibiotics by using a minor surgical procedure that opens and drains the sores."

If there are sores, the common approach is to surgically open or lance the sores, draining the pus.

If he presents with just cellulitis, he's likely being treated with Vancomycin.

He's likely treating parts of his body with Mupirocin. Common recommendation is for nasal decolonization, given twice a day for 5 to 10 days. He likely has to bath in a bleach solution for 10 minutes at a time.

Now, for the bad news:

"Among 244 participants with one-month colonization data, modified intention-to-treat analysis revealed S. aureus eradication in 38% of participants in the education only (control) group; 56% in the mupirocin group (p=0.03 vs. controls); 55% in the mupirocin/chlorhexidine group (p=0.05); and 63% in the mupirocin/bleach group (p=0.006). Of 229 participants with four-month colonization data, eradication rates were 48% in controls; 56% for mupirocin only (p=0.40 vs. controls); 54% for mupirocin/chlorhexidine (p=0.51); and 71% for mupirocin/bleach (p=0.02). At one and four months, respectively, recurrent SSTI was reported by 20% and 36% of participants." (link)

Klefbom likely falls into the 39% that weren't eradicated in the four months. He'll continue the protocol, and try to eradicate it. The good news, and I'll post an addendum, is that while recurrent PC-MSRA is difficult to eradicate, it can be done.

Its getting to that point where the main focus should be getting healthy and forgetting about hockey for a while. I am more concerned with the man's long term health and hope he can recover and not have to deal with long term effects.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
No offense to the poster but teams keep their cards pretty close to the vest when it comes to injuries these days. They barely even tell the media anything and these are people they interact with every day. I don't see why players would just dish all this in depth information to a stranger at the bar. I'd bet Chia, TM and other teammates wouldn't be too pleased with guys just putting factual information regarding these things out there.

Hockey players make friends outside of hockey and you would be amazed at the stories you hear from young athletes when the booze stars flowing. I was friends with a few former oilers and they definitely would not appreciate people posting their convos and tidbits on a message board. I was never brave enough to do that because they would know who i am and come after me lol.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
At this point, just shut him down, get him off the ice completely, do whatever surgeries are necessary and focus on getting him ready for September. Nothing else that can be done.

As far as I can tell, I don't think him skating is really going to aggravate anything. I think he's just skating the see how it reacts and not to get back this season at all.

I think his issue is the swelling that occurs when he does work it out a lot, hence the special skate to accommodate that as well.

I'm not a doctor obviously, but there's not a risk of staph being a lingering issue for years, is there? Seems as though when it's gone it's gone. Just a matter of dealing with it properly and getting rid of it entirely I guess.

At this point, let's just all wish him well and hope he has a speedy recovery and can get back to training and back to hockey next season.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not sure how many people even care at this point, but there was a small bit at the end of Matheson's article today about Klefbom's season likely being finished, it mentioned that Gryba might be back in time for the final 3 games of the season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Its getting to that point where the main focus should be getting healthy and forgetting about hockey for a while. I am more concerned with the man's long term health and hope he can recover and not have to deal with long term effects.

yeah i gotta admit, i'm really just hoping he has his health moving forward, his ability to play with the oilers in secondary... this sounds about as deadly serious as something can be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad