Injury Report: Infirmary Thread '15-16 [Davidson, Ference, Klefbom, Gryba, Pouliot, Nuge]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
yeah i gotta admit, i'm really just hoping he has his health moving forward, his ability to play with the oilers in secondary... this sounds about as deadly serious as something can be

Lets calm down a bit here.

It's been frustrating that Klefbom keeps having setbacks but lets not get overdramatic here with the limited information that we have. If it's still affecting him in training camp then we'll know it's pretty serious and his overall health will start to take precedent over any return to hockey. It should always be more important but you know what I mean.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Lets calm down a bit here.

It's been frustrating that Klefbom keeps having setbacks but lets not get overdramatic here with the limited information that we have. If it's still affecting him in training camp then we'll know it's pretty serious and his overall health will start to take precedent over any return to hockey. It should always be more important but you know what I mean.

Antibiotic resistant infection that keeps you out of work for over 4 months is about as serious as you can get. This is not a knee injury or broken arm we are talking about. It can be a life changer to the point where it can take years off from dealing with it. People have gotten amputations from these kinds of issues. Not trying to exagerage but its not a joke.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Antibiotic resistant infection that keeps you out of work for over 4 months is about as serious as you can get. This is not a knee injury or broken arm we are talking about. It can be a life changer to the point where it can take years off from dealing with it. People have gotten amputations from these kinds of issues. Not trying to exagerage but its not a joke.

Jaded is assuming worst case scenario based on limited information which I get is understandable considering that Staph Infections are a serious matter and it always seems like worst case scenario with the Oilers but the fact of the matter is that the details of the surgery and recovery are sketchy at best so nobody here knows the extent of the infection and the long term effects it could or could not have.
Hell, even Chia and Mclellan don't seem to know at this point.

One thing it does is put Chia in a tough spot. He can't assume that Klefbom will be a fixture on the blueline going forward and this pretty much kills any value that Klefbom could have potentially had if they were looking at a big upgrade so not only does it stunt Klefbom's development but it also throws a wrench into Chia's plans.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Jaded is assuming worst case scenario based on limited information which I get is understandable considering that Staph Infections are a serious matter and it always seems like worst case scenario with the Oilers but the fact of the matter is that the details of the surgery and recovery are sketchy at best so nobody here knows the extent of the infection and the long term effects it could or could not have.
Hell, even Chia and Mclellan don't seem to know at this point.

One thing it does is put Chia in a tough spot. He can't assume that Klefbom will be a fixture on the blueline going forward and this pretty much kills any value that Klefbom could have potentially had if they were looking at a big upgrade so not only does it stunt Klefbom's development but it also throws a wrench into Chia's plans.

the only thing that chia can do is plan for klefbom to NOT be on the team next year, and if he does end up miraculously recovering, then we are in a good spot

to *expect* klefbom to return to the NHL at this point, and make plans around that assumption, would be criminal mismanagement of the situation... chia has to plan for the worst case scenario, which is more and more looking like the most probable scenario as well

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In Matheson's piece he mentioned that Ference is scheduled to go for surgery March 31st. He brought up that Ference can't be bought out if injured unless the player agrees. He also mentioned how a couple months ago Ference figures he will be bought out.

Wonder if we see the very rare case where a player will just leave money on the table and accept the buyout.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
In Matheson's piece he mentioned that Ference is scheduled to go for surgery March 31st. He brought up that Ference can't be bought out if injured unless the player agrees. He also mentioned how a couple months ago Ference figures he will be bought out.

Wonder if we see the very rare case where a player will just leave money on the table and accept the buyout.

LTIR for 1 year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Is Hopkins officially injury prone?

I don't think I'd go that far. The shoulder injury dating back to junior cost him all the games he missed his first 2 seasons, the next 2 were basically fully healthy, and this one he breaks his hand blocking a shot and takes a hit to the head, which is likely just a minor concussion.

If he gets injured long-term next season then maybe I'll start thinking so, but if you take out the broken hand that could happen to anyone he hasn't really missed much time for anything that originated from playing in the NHL.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Yeah injury prone for me means either a recurring injury of the same thing, or just the lightest of touches puts a guy down, like Beau Bennett. I don't think that applies to Nuge or Klef. Their injuries are just really unlucky like if you take a clapper off the hand like that it's gonna do damage to anyone, same with the headshot which the team says is only minor. Klef too with the skate cut and infection like a piece of metal will cut you.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

We should offer him a high paying job in PR (seriously. He was born for that job), if he were to happen to decide to retire this summer

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
yeah, big time imo.

But I wouldn't say Klefbom is injury prone yet. That staph business doesn't count

In the last 3 seasons, Nuge has missed 16 games.

That averages 5 a year.

How is that "big-time" injury-prone?

A very random broken hand?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
In the last 3 seasons, Nuge has missed 16 games.

That averages 5 a year.

How is that "big-time" injury-prone?

A very random broken hand?

idk, maybe you're right but it just seems that way after this season. Injury prone players can often play a full season. We had that with Souray. RNH plays a tough game. He doesn't shy from tough areas, and he blocks shots. He doesn't have the body for that kind of game it seems. That hand injury was not a freak thing either. He outright did an awful job at blocking that shot. He should be wearing longer gloves if he's going to block shots in the future.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
idk, maybe you're right but it just seems that way after this season. Injury prone players can often play a full season. We had that with Souray. RNH plays a tough game. He doesn't shy from tough areas, and he blocks shots. He doesn't have the body for that kind of game it seems. That hand injury was not a freak thing either. He outright did an awful job at blocking that shot. He should be wearing longer gloves if he's going to block shots in the future.

I think I would chalk this up as a freak season. But, if next year he's Klefbomin', then there's some strong evidence to support that idea.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well the team in general seems to be injury prone... so certainly there must be some players that fit that description as well.

I don't think there are players that really we could say are chronically injury prone... but since we can't even come close to remembering when this team last had a game with a fully intact and uninjured roster... I'd say there's certainly some issues somewhere there with the way the team is composed and put together.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Rermember when Markov was injury prone back in 2009-10 and missed half year, near full year, near full year after that? Well.. Full season in 2012-13, 81 games, 81 games, 77 games so far this year

Injury prone i snot a thing unless its a recurring injury. Some players have rough 3 years of bad injury luck

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Rermember when Markov was injury prone back in 2009-10 and missed half year, near full year, near full year after that? Well.. Full season in 2012-13, 81 games, 81 games, 77 games so far this year

Injury prone i snot a thing unless its a recurring injury. Some players have rough 3 years of bad injury luck

Hemsky has played 75, 76 and looks on pace for at least 75 again over the past three years. So you are right, some players just have a bad stretch of luck.

It just seems more of them happen on the Oilers lately, so look at ourselves first. Is it the ice. Is it the style of play. Is it the training. The last thing we should be doing is blaming the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad