Injury Report: Infirmary Thread '15-16 [Davidson, Ference, Klefbom, Gryba, Pouliot, Nuge]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
Klefbom has been out five months. It is not inconceivable he isn't ready to start the season or that he never plays another game in the NHL period. People shouldn't be penciling him into the lineup for next season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Klefbom has been out five months. It is not inconceivable he isn't ready to start the season or that he never plays another game in the NHL period. People shouldn't be penciling him into the lineup for next season.

It's not inconceivable as long as you are clinging to odds like 0.001%

They said Klefbom would have been playing during the final stretch already if playoffs were in reach. If his surgeries and procedures were never even severe I don't see how we should treat him like he just had leprocy. McLellan said next season will start for Klef likely nothing happened.

It doesn't really matter anyway considering that it doesn't change the fact that Chiarelli has to get a lot of defense anyway.

Oct 15, 2008
It's not inconceivable as long as you are clinging to odds like 0.001%

They said Klefbom would have been playing during the final stretch already if playoffs were in reach. If his surgeries and procedures were never even severe I don't see how we should treat him like he just had leprocy. McLellan said next season will start for Klef likely nothing happened.

It doesn't really matter anyway considering that it doesn't change the fact that Chiarelli has to get a lot of defense anyway.

They also said he would be out 2/3 weeks instead of the 4/5 months it has been and counting. You can assume what you want I will wait until he is on the ice with the team again.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They also said he would be out 2/3 weeks instead of the 4/5 months it has been and counting. You can assume what you want I will wait until he is on the ice with the team again.

Yeah because the 2/3 weeks were in regards to his knuckle, not the infection that got into his leg.

There was no reason for Chia to state that the silver lining of his injury is that he is currently in terrific shape if it wasn't true, and to be in that shape he would have needed to be training while he was out which would indicate the infection hasn't caused any debilitating damage.

Oct 15, 2008
Yeah because the 2/3 weeks were in regards to his knuckle, not the infection that got into his leg.

There was no reason for Chia to state that the silver lining of his injury is that he is currently in terrific shape if it wasn't true, and to be in that shape he would have needed to be training while he was out which would indicate the infection hasn't caused any debilitating damage.

How many NHL games you seen him play in 2016?

The answer rhymes with done.

No idea why anyone would take Oiler management's word for anything. Like they've never lied to us before. I see nothing wrong with saying show me the money.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How many NHL games you seen him play in 2016?

The answer rhymes with done.

No idea why anyone would take Oiler management's word for anything. Like they've never lied to us before. I see nothing wrong with saying show me the money.

You know what you're right. I think Klef actually had a prosthetic leg on under his pants when he walked out for the Rexall ceremonies.

Forgive me for not being paranoid about something that will likely be all but forgotten next September when training camp opens.

Oct 15, 2008
You know what you're right. I think Klef actually had a prosthetic leg on under his pants when he walked out for the Rexall ceremonies.

Forgive me for not being paranoid about something that will likely be all but forgotten next September when training camp opens.

Don't see how its paranoid to say I will believe it when I see it. Seems practical and perfectly rational.

Oct 15, 2008
If you look at what actually happened, you have a player being injured and the team initially says nothing, then throws out two or three weeks when queried. Then after WEEKS of silence, rumours about an infection surface, which the team then vaguely acknowledges and tries to assure the fans everything will be fine several months down the road at TC.

Excuse me for waiting to see if this actually happens before penciling this player into the lineup for next season.

That's it. Not saying he is or isn't going to be ready. Just that I will believe it when I actually see it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Hahahaha I love the doomsdayers on HF. Coach: "he would be back for playoffs if we made it, hell be back from camp no problem". HF: "Its a non zero chance hell never play ever again and will die tomorrow. Not saying its forsure, but it could happen and probably will"

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If you look at what actually happened, you have a player being injured and the team initially says nothing, then throws out two or three weeks when queried. Then after WEEKS of silence, rumours about an infection surface, which the team then vaguely acknowledges and tries to assure the fans everything will be fine several months down the road at TC.

Excuse me for waiting to see if this actually happens before penciling this player into the lineup for next season.

That's it. Not saying he is or isn't going to be ready. Just that I will believe it when I actually see it.

Its an infection, not a broken leg. You cant pin point the day hell be back

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Don't see how its paranoid to say I will believe it when I see it. Seems practical and perfectly rational.

Nothing wrong with "I will believe it when I see it". However, do you consider this to be a rational thought?

There is nothing to indicate that this infection has become career threatening. I get that bad things always seem to happen to the Oilers and it's natural to be concerned about the long term effects of such an infection but it's reach to assume that his career is over, even as a possibility.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
When I hear him discussing trying out several different types of skates and that his foot bleeds because the skin is so thin, I get a little concerned. (Any time I hear multiple skates and foot issues I think of Forsberg, though truthfully this is a different 'type' of injury)

Hopefully can work through this in the offseason but I do have some reservations about his health at this point.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The good news is there was no structural damage. Some speculated this was like Ryan Whitney, and that isn't the case. Whitney suffered from "drop foot," but Klefbom said if the Oilers were playing in two weeks he could play.

The other bonus for him was he was able to work out every day and he is in the best shape of his career, which is saying a lot considering he was always in great shape.

Good read from Klefbom himself

http://oilersnation.com/2016/4/11/klefbom-it-s-been-a-crazy-season

Says that theyve been casket shopping and almost have one picked out

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
"At that point, the skin is so fragile, it’s so thin, every time I’m in the skate, it basically just breaks and starts to bleed again. That was the biggest issue we had because, after late January, early February, I wanted to come back so bad because the guys had a really tough time, and they were losing a lot of games. It was so frustrating to be on the sidelines and watch a lot of games from home..."

This part almost got me choked up a bit. Guy is a player, really hope that he is good to go next year and he has a real break out like I think he was gonna have this season.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
When I hear him discussing trying out several different types of skates and that his foot bleeds because the skin is so thin, I get a little concerned. (Any time I hear multiple skates and foot issues I think of Forsberg, though truthfully this is a different 'type' of injury)

Hopefully can work through this in the offseason but I do have some reservations about his health at this point.

Well, think about any injury you've ever had. Right at first the skin grows back super thin. It makes sense.

Sounds like Oscar may have done more damage trying to come back early than if he would have just sat on his butt and let it heal. Love that competitiveness and drive to come back though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
i remember everybody saying that whitney would be fine after his surgery as well.... i'll believe klefbom is healthy when he has been back and playing at a high level for a while, and not a second sooner

this just reeks of whitney all over again

No, it doesn't. Right from the horse's mouth, no tendon or ligament damage.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
i remember everybody saying that whitney would be fine after his surgery as well.... i'll believe klefbom is healthy when he has been back and playing at a high level for a while, and not a second sooner

this just reeks of whitney all over again

Except for the fact that Whitney had surgery to repair his tendon which popped out of its groove along the bone, while Klef had surgery to remove superficial tissue to aid in the recovery from an infection. The only thing these two incidents have in common is that they both occurred in the ankle region.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We're really comparing Klefbom to guys who had to have surgery due to birth defects(Whitney had improperly aligned bones in his feet and Forsberg had larger than usual ankle bones)?

Klefbom's surgery isn't even remotely comparable.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Klef sounded so disappointed yesterday. Kept trying to come back, but just couldn't with the bleeding. The one odd thing for me is he said he's in the best shape of his life and has been working out so much. So how is it that he can find a shoe that won't cause bleeding, but not a skate?

Then again he did say he was going to the Bauer plant in Montreal to get a custom fit skate that will work.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Klef sounded so disappointed yesterday. Kept trying to come back, but just couldn't with the bleeding. The one odd thing for me is he said he's in the best shape of his life and has been working out so much. So how is it that he can find a shoe that won't cause bleeding, but not a skate?

Then again he did say he was going to the Bauer plant in Montreal to get a custom fit skate that will work.

Yeah, it sounded like he just needed a skate that will work in the short term to get him skating again while his skin heals.

Think about how a skate fits, and how a shoe fits. It could very well be the infection is higher on his leg than where a shoe ends.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
new gregor articel up about klefbom: http://oilersnation.com/2016/4/12/klefbom-will-need-specially-fitted-skate

it certainly sounds like this will continue to be an issue unless he finds the right skate... it also sounds like the skate will be a long term thing, rather than a short term fix for the summer (like many were hoping)... he could find the right skate, or it could continue to be an issue long term... i guess we'll see

its certainly not a "settled matter that the long term problems are over" like so many on here seem to be thinking

quote from kel: "I mean there is so much stuff to do and I mean hopefully the big thing is going to be to find a really good skate so that I don’t have to worry about this problem anymore." doesn't exactly sound like a problem he has put to bed .... there are lots of other quotes like that as well, showing that this is still an issue

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
new gregor articel up about klefbom: http://oilersnation.com/2016/4/12/klefbom-will-need-specially-fitted-skate

it certainly sounds like this will continue to be an issue unless he finds the right skate... it also sounds like the skate will be a long term thing, rather than a short term fix for the summer (like many were hoping)... he could find the right skate, or it could continue to be an issue long term... i guess we'll see

its certainly not a "settled matter that the long term problems are over" like so many on here seem to be thinking

quote from kel: "I mean there is so much stuff to do and I mean hopefully the big thing is going to be to find a really good skate so that I don’t have to worry about this problem anymore." doesn't exactly sound like a problem he has put to bed .... there are lots of other quotes like that as well, showing that this is still an issue

The thing is though that the custom skate is to resolve an issue of rubbing on the ankle that was occurring even before he got injured, and the reason it is such a big deal at the moment is because his tissue hasn't had a chance to regenerate from the surgeries. So the issue is more that on that certain foot the skate's he's been using for whatever reason rub that area for him and the problem is just being further amplified because his cutaneous tissue hasn't had a chance to fully regenerate.

The only long-term issues he has is finding a skate that doesn't irritate his ankle. It really doesn't seem any different than someone trying to find appropriate shoes because the ones they've been using give them constant blisters or have contributed to the formation of a bunion. With the technology out there in sporting wear I have very little worry that they won't be able to find a skate or sock solution that works for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad