Injury Report: Infirmary Thread '15-16 [Davidson, Ference, Klefbom, Gryba, Pouliot, Nuge]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh praise McJesus. I'm not a doctor but when I saw the pic of him with the knee brace I was thinking that any person I've known with a significant ligament tear in their knee hasn't been that far along that fast.

Well, lately Matheson hasn't exactly been known for the most accurate journalism so I'd wait for an official update from the team. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a typo as apparently Gryba also has a sprained knee.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...-notes-oscar-klefbom-getting-the-time-to-heal

“From what I’ve been told when Oscar shows up training camp next season, we won’t even be talking about this,” said McLellan. “If our team had played well enough to give ourselves a shot at the playoffs, maybe Oscar would have been out there. Right now, it makes no sense to put him on the ice and have it (cured) to the just about line and then have it go back. Let’s let it heal.”

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...-notes-oscar-klefbom-getting-the-time-to-heal

“From what I’ve been told when Oscar shows up training camp next season, we won’t even be talking about this,†said McLellan. “If our team had played well enough to give ourselves a shot at the playoffs, maybe Oscar would have been out there. Right now, it makes no sense to put him on the ice and have it (cured) to the just about line and then have it go back. Let’s let it heal.â€

Good to hear, though I am a bit scared to the condition Klefbom comes back in. Not saying he won't get back to were he was, but that could take a couple weeks. I've got similar concerns with Davidson.

It might be better to have them in a position where not too much isn expected of them until they get their groove back.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Good to hear, though I am a bit scared to the condition Klefbom comes back in. Not saying he won't get back to were he was, but that could take a couple weeks. I've got similar concerns with Davidson.

It might be better to have them in a position where not too much isn expected of them until they get their groove back.

Klefbom will have a full offseason of training. He's likely training right now. He wasn't even injured this season other than his finger. He's got an infection, and it's clearing up. No permanent damage.

He'll shake off any rust in pre season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Klefbom will have a full offseason of training. He's likely training right now. He wasn't even injured this season other than his finger. He's got an infection, and it's clearing up. No permanent damage.

He'll shake off any rust in pre season.

And he has always been a conditioning nut. Guy has been ripped since he was 17 years old. He'll have just as much rust in camp as every single other player.

Excellent news about Davidson if true, I have been waiting to hear that he would missed 2-4 months of next season recovering. :yo:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I havent seen anything about Davidson for the Oilers brass. If it was a sprained kneww, youd think theyd mention it was a minor thing. So I am assuming Matheson is mistaken or unsure of severity. But if was a sprained knee thatd be huge. Missing 10 games is meh. Missing an offseason is very rough. Takes guys a while to return to form

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I havent seen anything about Davidson for the Oilers brass. If it was a sprained kneww, youd think theyd mention it was a minor thing. So I am assuming Matheson is mistaken or unsure of severity. But if was a sprained knee thatd be huge. Missing 10 games is meh. Missing an offseason is very rough. Takes guys a while to return to form

Article up on oilers nation saying Davidson been seen walking without a brace!!

Whew

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Conditioning won't be a problem for Oscar. You could shred cheese on his abs if you were so inclined. Timing, spacing, reads, that's the kind of thing that will take a good 30 games to come back.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Conditioning won't be a problem for Oscar. You could shred cheese on his abs if you were so inclined. Timing, spacing, reads, that's the kind of thing that will take a good 30 games to come back.

I doubt extremely that it will take that long for Klefbom to return, unless maybe if you are counting any WHC games, training camp scrimmages, and pre-season games among those games. I'm not totally against Chiarelli taking your assumptions though, considering that assuming the worst means having to do a little extra to help the defense.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I doubt extremely that it will take that long for Klefbom to return, unless maybe if you are counting any WHC games, training camp scrimmages, and pre-season games among those games. I'm not totally against Chiarelli taking your assumptions though, considering that assuming the worst means having to do a little extra to help the defense.

Oh he'll be effective right away, but the 20 games of Oscar Klefbom, top pairing defenceman that we saw will take some time to come back .

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
People do realize that a sprain is the same thing as a torn ligament right? A sprain just means damage to the ligament and is either considered grade 1, 2, or 3. A grade 1 is mostly just stretching of the ligament with maybe a few torn fibres. A grade 2 is a little more stretching with a good portion of torn fibres. These 2 don't require surgery in most cases because the ligament is still attached and therefore can heal. A grade 3 is a full tear and is what is commonly referred to as a torn ligament. These often require surgery but for MCL's can often heal with just a brace, however, I would expect a professional athlete to have surgery on it to speed it up and ensure it heals.

If Davidson hasn't had any surgery and was just wearing a brace I'd assume its a grade 1 or 2 and that the brace is there to protect it while it heals.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I really dont think so. That kind of stuff is what training camp is for and just comes naturally for a guy like Oscar, not so much for other Dmen.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Oh he'll be effective right away, but the 20 games of Oscar Klefbom, top pairing defenceman that we saw will take some time to come back .
Well of course. Almost no player comes into a season flying anyways. I predict a very weird first 20 games due to roster turn over anyways. We will know our team starting game 20+

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am/was a big "detractor" of Klefboms to start the year. His first however many games I was one of a very few who was rightfully calling him out regularly. His performance defensively was suspect to say the least.

Then his last however many games it just looked like it clicked. Strong positionally, defensively, and offensively. It's like he aged 5 years over a few months.

I have no idea what caused such a significant turn around for Klefbom but he went from a #4/5 offensive defender to a #2/3 complete defenseman. With the potential to be more.

However the sample size is still way too small and again his career is derailed a bit from injuries.

Which Klefbom will show up? Will he be as good? I hope to heck the good Klefbom shows up and can be healthy for at least all of next year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I am/was a big "detractor" of Klefboms to start the year. His first however many games I was one of a very few who was rightfully calling him out regularly. His performance defensively was suspect to say the least.

Then his last however many games it just looked like it clicked. Strong positionally, defensively, and offensively. It's like he aged 5 years over a few months.

I have no idea what caused such a significant turn around for Klefbom but he went from a #4/5 offensive defender to a #2/3 complete defenseman. With the potential to be more.

However the sample size is still way too small and again his career is derailed a bit from injuries.

Which Klefbom will show up? Will he be as good? I hope to heck the good Klefbom shows up and can be healthy for at least all of next year.

He's got insane tools, and they are coming together. I've always had high hopes from him and probably his biggest supporter. He has every tool a premier D has. He made his cups and his hiccups were noticeable when they happened, but I never questioned IQ, just seemed like rookie moments. But his 10 games before injury exceeded my expectations. Hopefully he returns to that level

Never question a D that wins top D at WJC, 90% of the time they turn into top pairing D :sarcasm:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Article up on oilers nation saying Davidson been seen walking without a brace!!

Whew
Not sure that it means a whole heck of a lot, but he looked like the fastest guy to come out last night. Thank god he didn't come out on crutches.

Jun 9, 2011
somebody on twitter said he was getting surgery of some kind, no idea how accurate or reliable that information is
:amazed: I thought it must be either a) very bad or b) something that had to be observed closely for a time, for him to miss the ceremony last night. I really hope it's more of b, and less of a, and none of surgery.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'd bet all my spare cash that Hall gets injured on Saturday. He's the only core member of the team that hasn't missed a chunk of the season so far. Probably something stupid like he gets hit by a puck on the bench or something.

We had bad injuries the year Pat Quinn was coach but this season is getting rediculous.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'd bet all my spare cash that Hall gets injured on Saturday. He's the only core member of the team that hasn't missed a chunk of the season so far. Probably something stupid like he gets hit by a puck on the bench or something.

We had bad injuries the year Pat Quinn was coach but this season is getting rediculous.

Why would you even say such a thing and jinx the player ? :facepalm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Really good news. A shortened offseason would be brutal. If Davidson can come back next year and play at same level he left off at, that be huge to say the least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->