Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I've never been impressed by Cowen, but sometimes defenders need 300-400 games to find their stride. I'm not sure I would want Avs to gamble on him, considering how slow and unskilled the rest of the defense already is.

RoR21

May 24, 2011
as a Sens fan 2nd being from Ottawa I really don't want Cowen on this team. He's not built for our system at all.

I however would love to be able to pick up Michal Roszival as a #5/6 guy if we could dump Holden and or Guenin. I feel him and Stuart would make the best bottom pair we've had in years. Roy probably would like the added veteran leadership as well.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
as a Sens fan 2nd being from Ottawa I really don't want Cowen on this team. He's not built for our system at all.

I however would love to be able to pick up Michal Roszival as a #5/6 guy if we could dump Holden and or Guenin. I feel him and Stuart would make the best bottom pair we've had in years. Roy probably would like the added veteran leadership as well.

Stuart and Roszival? I'd have to close my eyes whenever they touch the ice together.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm still convinced the target is Beauchemin, and based on how he's playing right now....giddy up

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'm still convinced the target is Beauchemin, and based on how he's playing right now....giddy up

He's good but.. Are we throwing up another solid deal (which he will get) to a player on a 35+ contract? If they do that I will be disappointed.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Give him 3 years at a reasonable rate. Placeholder for the prospects. I just think that Roy likes his French Canadians, and he gave Anaheim a nice compliment recently. He probably eyed that D.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Roy has gone on record saying they aren't looking to add a 35+ year old defenseman, so what makes you so convinced?

Was this the weekly radio show? I missed that nugget but in that case Roy won't add Beauchemin unless there's no other option. I thought it would be the case based on past moves.

I'd certainly prefer Beauchemin to Cowen.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Cowen is slow as bricks on the ice and is only 24 years old. He's only worth the gamble if some garbage pieces are being sent back to Ottawa.

No thanks to Michael Roszival. I like him a lot as a defenseman but with Stuart on this team already we definitely don't need him. What we need alongside Stuart on the bottom pair is a quick puck mover who isn't a liability defensively (That means no Zach Redmond, please).

I think Roy needs to have a conversation with Stuart this summer too about moving to the left side. There's no need to cater to Stuart if he's going to be a 3rd pairing defenseman. If there's somebody who can come up next season and is a RHD and can play 3rd pairing minutes, Stuart better shift to the left side. One guy I'd like to see in training camp next season is Noreau

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd quite easily take Stuart over Noreau and Redmond on the right side bottom pairing. I have said it many times, so I will start to sound like a broken record... but Stuart is a nearly perfect player to help Bigras break into the league. Then as Bigras gets more comfortable he can move up the lineup.

From the rumors that have been out there, I think the Avs will try to add 2 defensemen this summer. One LD and one RD.

On Cowen... send Holden or Guenin over in the deal and I think it is worth the risk (prefer Holden). Without one of the two in the deal, it just adds to the potential dead weight on defense.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'd say get OEL at any cost. If I had to give up one of Duchene or MacKinnon to get OEL I would. I'd take a 20 goal scoring d-man who can play both ends of the ice equally well over 60-70 point forward

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So we finished the year playing with 7 defenseman that are signed for next year. Of those we have 2 top 4, 4 bottom pairing, and one wild card (Siemens). No idea if Siemens will crack the roster, but if he does you have to think he'll at least start on the bottom pairing as well. So what's the game plan going to be? I think it's obvious we'll target one of the big name defenders on the market, and I think we'll land one of them. But what about that 2nd pairing? How do you fix that? I hope Siemens is surprisingly good, but that's a big risk before even seeing him in camp. I don't think we can afford to grab another ufa for that role. A trade is possible, but ROR is likely the only moveable piece that could land us a capable player.

My main worry is starting the season with something like:
Ehrhoff-EJ
Stuart/Holden-Barrie
Then, 10 games in Ehrhoff takes an injury that sidelined him for 30 games, and we have to move Stuart/Holden up to 1st line. Another season down the drain.

Re-signing Hejda is becoming more and more attractive. At minimum, it's better than trading another 2nd for an aging stop gap.

I'd say get OEL at any cost. If I had to give up one of Duchene or MacKinnon to get OEL I would. I'd take a 20 goal scoring d-man who can play both ends of the ice equally well over 60-70 point forward

I think it might be a touch early to write mackinnon off as a 60-70 point forward...

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

If anybody in our management team even contemplates trading MacKinnon, they need to be fired immediately. Not up for discussion. MacK, Landy, EJ, and Varlamov are complete untouchables.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If anybody in our management team even contemplates trading MacKinnon, they need to be fired immediately. Not up for discussion. MacK, Landy, EJ, and Varlamov are complete untouchables.

I'd trade Duchene for OEL, but how do you justify that on personal level to the players?

Duchene took a very team friendly contract, loves the City/Fans/Organization. You keep O'Reilly, but trade Duchene, and you set a culture that seems to be business first.

Are the players better off never quite feeling secure on the team?

Which one is better? (Below)

Landeskog, O'Reilly, MacKinnon

OEL, EJ

Varlamov

vs

Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, MacKinnon

EJ

Varlamov

I guess you have a better chance of finding a top 6 winger or center (depends on MacK) than a #1/2 defender eh? However do you really need someone of OELs level next to EJ? I'd argue you don't even though it looks more balanced.

Edit: The two lists above seem to highlight the fact that we're missing one more core player as the roster sits today.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For the billionth time.

Duchene did not take a "team friendly contract".

It was fair-market price. A team friendly contract would have either been lower AAV or more term (or the jackpot of BOTH of those things).

Yes, Duchene loves the team/city, but he and his agent made sure he was getting paid fair market price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad