Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
For the billionth time.

Duchene did not take a "team friendly contract".

It was fair-market price. A team friendly contract would have either been lower AAV or more term (or the jackpot of BOTH of those things).

Yes, Duchene loves the team/city, but he and his agent made sure he was getting paid fair market price.

Your salty lol, get what your saying though.

So does that mean you'd be on the side of trading Duchene if the return was someone like OEL?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Your salty lol, get what your saying though.

So does that mean you'd be on the side of trading Duchene if the return was someone like OEL?

I've stated before--everyone on this team can be had for the "right price". Now, certain players' prices will be so high that it makes no sense to trade them, but who are we to tell an opposing GM what to do?

So yes, I would trade Duchene for OEL in a hearteat, if it were a straight-up trade.

(and I'm not trying to be "salty"--which is a terrible phrase--but rather am tired of seeing that thrown around everywhere. Duchene didn't take less than a fair-market price, he didn't sign a "team friendly contract"--at least by mine and most others definitions. He didn't do the Avs any real BIG favors on his deal, he signed a nice deal for him, and it didn't break the Avs, and everyone is happy)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've stated before--everyone on this team can be had for the "right price". Now, certain players' prices will be so high that it makes no sense to trade them, but who are we to tell an opposing GM what to do?

So yes, I would trade Duchene for OEL in a hearteat, if it were a straight-up trade.

(and I'm not trying to be "salty"--which is a terrible phrase--but rather am tired of seeing that thrown around everywhere. Duchene didn't take less than a fair-market price, he didn't sign a "team friendly contract"--at least by mine and most others definitions. He didn't do the Avs any real BIG favors on his deal, he signed a nice deal for him, and it didn't break the Avs, and everyone is happy)

Haha, I called you salty because of the tone of your post nothing more. Don't read too much into it, sorry if that's a term you don't like for whatever reason.

Some days I'd add to Duchene for OEL (how much depends on how bad or defense was that night), and others I wouldn't trade him for OEL straight across. It's a difficult question for me tbH...

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
We should have traded O'Reilly and a top pick or prospect for Josi last year like I suggested before Josi turned into a Top 15 NHL defenseman. :sarcasm: Every bit as good as OEL in my opinion and on one of the most brilliant cap-friendly long-term contracts you will find in the league. Totally off the market now.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We should have traded O'Reilly and a top pick or prospect for Josi last year like I suggested before Josi turned into a Top 15 NHL defenseman. :sarcasm: Every bit as good as OEL in my opinion and on one of the most brilliant cap-friendly long-term contracts you will find in the league. Totally off the market now.

Josi has struggled without Weber in my opinion, quite overrated this year. He's great, but not the #1 people make him out to be, let alone Norris candidate or top 10 defender.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Josi has struggled without Weber in my opinion, quite overrated this year. He's great, but not the #1 people make him out to be, let alone Norris candidate or top 10 defender.

People said the same thing about Suter and he was a beast without Weber last season (maybe not as much this season but that's not Shea-related). Josi-EJ would be an epic pairing.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
People said the same thing about Suter and he was a beast without Weber last season (maybe not as much this season but that's not Shea-related). Josi-EJ would be an epic pairing.

Not saying it wouldn't be an awesome pairing for us, just saying I think he's been overhyped this year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Josi is an excellent #2 and a near perfect compliment to Weber. By himself, he isn't capable of carrying a top pairing at this point in his career. As long as he is paired with Weber, they hype train is going to continue to explode. Hell, even after Weber, he will likely be paired with Jones... talk about being at the right place at the right time.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Dutch didn't push for the MAX that he could have gotten, IMO. To me, that's taking taking a team-friendly deal.

ROR has pushed for the MAX in past negotiations. We'll see what he does this time around...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not worried about Avs going after veterans at this point. I don't think it's the plan. But if they strike out on July 1st, watch out.

OT: How do you guys have patience to discuss with Buffalo fans on the trade proposal forum? It's like discussing with Leafs fans but with none of the entertainment value.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Even that wasn't a discount... at the time it was tied for the largest bridge deal in the post 04-05 lockout era.

I don't think there has been a two-year bridge deal coming out of an ELC that pays more than $3.5M/year still. Which is why I don't get the whole idea of it somehow being an insult offering O'Reilly an identical contract.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Freudy, the concern I have around that is we went hard for Orpik last summer(dodged a bullet) and went out to acquire Stuart. Clearly, Roy likes his veterans on the blueline.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
duchenes bridge deal was the real hometown discount that oreilly refused to take at that time

Was it though?

PK Subban's was 2-year, $5.75M total

Kadri's was 2-year, 2.9M AAV

And there are a lot of others, actually, a bigger list can be found here (I will freely admit that not all those players are of the same ilk that Duchene is)

So again, I don't think Duchene's was even that big of a "hometown discount".

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Freudy, the concern I have around that is we went hard for Orpik last summer(dodged a bullet) and went out to acquire Stuart. Clearly, Roy likes his veterans on the blueline.
But Roy said on the radio multiple times the last month or two that they're not looking to add older defensemen anymore, they want to bring in someone whose in line with their core's age. I think he got his veteran.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think there has been a two-year bridge deal coming out of an ELC that pays more than $3.5M/year still. Which is why I don't get the whole idea of it somehow being an insult offering O'Reilly an identical contract.

I consider Johansen's 3 year deal a bridge, but for 2 year, yeah it is still the highest (if you don't count ROR's offersheet).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

As long as that vet is somebody like Martin, I don't care. If it means Jackman, I will be concerned.

Honestly, Orpik hasn't been bad this year. Actually it is quite the opposite with the Caps. The salary at the start isn't the issue with the contract, it is the 4th and 5th year.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
But Roy said on the radio multiple times the last month or two that they're not looking to add older defensemen anymore, they want to bring in someone whose in line with their core's age. I think he got his veteran.

I think that's their intention at this point, two months away. But with Avs missing the playoffs this season, Central being so tough and having the outdoor game next year I worry that they're going to do something stupid if they don't land their preferred UFAs.

I think Stuart was their panic response to July 1 failures last year. I think Berra was their panic response to Giguere not being 100% last trade deadline. I'm going to need to see some patience from Roy and Sakic to truly believe what Roy is trying to sell here.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Was it though?

PK Subban's was 2-year, $5.75M total

Kadri's was 2-year, 2.9M AAV

And there are a lot of others, actually, a bigger list can be found here (I will freely admit that not all those players are of the same ilk that Duchene is)

So again, I don't think Duchene's was even that big of a "hometown discount".

certainly not a huge discount but he could have asked for more and certainly would have gotten it or gotten offer sheeted like o'money bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad