Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I really hope the Avs get Fehr if the Capitals can't agree to terms with him. He is that big shutdown C that Roy wants, and would come a lot cheaper than guys like Vermette and Soderberg would.

I also think he'd be an alright fit. Helps that he can shift to RW too.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I just had a scary feeling wash over me. There's absolutely 0% chance that Roy re-signs Briere after this season, right? Like, not even to a 1M/1 year deal? I mean, we have our vets locked up for a few more years in Iggy, Tangs, and Stuart, so there's no reason to sign Briere again, right? Please say yes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not with how much he's been scratched. He's not one of Roy's Warriors that he's going to cling to. My deep fear is Wilson but they really need to cut the cord. I think they will after the guy hasn't played for 3 years.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah, I figured he won't be back since he's barely playing. The thought of him getting re-signed briefly entered into my head, and that was enough to give me a mini panic attack :laugh:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I just had a scary feeling wash over me. There's absolutely 0% chance that Roy re-signs Briere after this season, right? Like, not even to a 1M/1 year deal? I mean, we have our vets locked up for a few more years in Iggy, Tangs, and Stuart, so there's no reason to sign Briere again, right? Please say yes.

There are a lot of guys in the AHL who could fill his role so I'd guess no. He was acquired more as a cap dump of 4 million 1 year earlier(parenteau)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I feel like if they intended to keep Briere around they'd have already signed him by now, similar to Stuart.

I really think the purpose of the PAP/Briere trade was to create extra cap space one year earlier. Which also makes you wonder if they have some significant interest in a bigger Free Agent that's available this summer.

We were rumored to be in on Sekera at the trade deadline, Roy talked about how they know they have to fill that hole this summer?

Please make it happen. I've watched Sekera a bit more since he was moved to LAK at the deadline, and the hype behind him is legit. He's not going to be a heavy point producer like he was last year with the Canes, but he's a very steady Dman and consistent in all 3 zones. He's a really good calming presence on the Ice and I think he'd work fantastically with either EJ or Barrie.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. I figured he was brought in just for the extra cap space this summer, but I'm having a tough time predicting what Avs management is going to do with anyone.

As far as Sekera goes, are there any signs that he's going to re-sign in LA? I would love it if we could get him, but it seems like the Kings aren't going to have any trouble keeping him if the situation with Voynov ends with him heading back to Russia. They could easily just give him Voynov's contract and be done with it, I would think.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I feel like if they intended to keep Briere around they'd have already signed him by now, similar to Stuart.

I really think the purpose of the PAP/Briere trade was to create extra cap space one year earlier. Which also makes you wonder if they have some significant interest in a bigger Free Agent that's available this summer.

We were rumored to be in on Sekera at the trade deadline, Roy talked about how they know they have to fill that hole this summer?

Please make it happen. I've watched Sekera a bit more since he was moved to LAK at the deadline, and the hype behind him is legit. He's not going to be a heavy point producer like he was last year with the Canes, but he's a very steady Dman and consistent in all 3 zones. He's a really good calming presence on the Ice and I think he'd work fantastically with either EJ or Barrie.

That's how I feel about Hejda. If they really were certain they wanted him back there would be a contract already. They are keeping their options open.

I don't think we were ever rumored on Sekera, at least not in the frenzy leading up to the deadline. That was always much more a wish here than in reality.

They probably would like to bring in a decent FA but that obviously depends on landing one and if they need to shop to fill O'Reilly's hole or not.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
LAK is in cap hell right now. I'm sure they'd love to resign him, and will probably do everything they can to bring him back(Especially at the cost it took to acquire him), but I dont know if they'll be able to do it.

The Voynov situation really through a wrench in the Kings plans this year I think. They wouldn't have even needed Sekera if Voynov were able to play. And now I think they're stuck with his cap regardless until things get sorted out.

Sekera is the only Dman in the market I'd be comfortable giving 5M+ to this summer. If we didn't have Barrie I'd go hard after Greene as well, but with Barrie adding Greene would be redundant. And I'd probably be willing to give Erhoff around 4.5-5M. Wouldn't pay the price for Martin, Beauchemin, Oduya, etc. though.

I'd rather be patient and let Bigras + the others develop and keep the cap space at that point.

That's how I feel about Hejda. If they really were certain they wanted him back there would be a contract already. They are keeping their options open.

I don't think we were ever rumored on Sekera, at least not in the frenzy leading up to the deadline. That was always much more a wish here than in reality.

They probably would like to bring in a decent FA but that obviously depends on landing one and if they need to shop to fill O'Reilly's hole or not.

The only difference I can see with Hejda is they didn't trade for him, but I could definitely see them sort of putting him as a "If nothing else works out option" or they could be really low-balling him at this point as well. Hejda has made it really obvious that he wants to stay in Denver, so the Avs could be giving his some pretty lowball offers at this point. I'd be fine with giving Hejda a 1 year deal at ~2.5M. Could definitely see the Avs trying to get him for under 2M right now though. They probably want to replace him with a younger version if possible at this point though.

As for Sekera, I thought I remember reading Friedman in particular link us to Sekera a couple of time back in early February but I could be wrong.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don't think the Avs FO would be talking contracts at all until this playoff hope is totally dead. Their MO seems to be not to distract the player/team with contract stuff much during the year.

I think once/if the Avs are eliminated the Hejda contract will come fairly quickly. I definitely think Briere and Wilson will be free to walk unless Wilson signs for a contract that can be buried without cap penalty.

Sekera will get signed by LA just like Gaborik did. I think they will cut bait with Voynov no matter what, either via to his legal issue or by trade.

Martin may be the only FA the Avs get a shot at I'd be interested in. Beauch will likely re-sign and Ehrhoff likes the East and will likely take less money to stay there. I'm not an Oduya fan.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I've been starting to look at possible trade targets the Avs could look to if they decide to speed up the defensive repair rather than wait on a draft pick or the ever elusive FA.

While I think it is unlikely, suppose the Avs end up picking 11th (post lottery). How good a defender do you think the Avs would need coming back in a 1 for 1 trade using the 2015 1st?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The nice thing is we are freeing up $6.5m in salary and don't really need to replace the two guys; Briere and Wilson's contributions have been zero. Add Hejda in and that's $10m to replace Hejda and get started on O'Reilly/Barrie/MacK/EJ extensions.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I've been starting to look at possible trade targets the Avs could look to if they decide to speed up the defensive repair rather than wait on a draft pick or the ever elusive FA.

While I think it is unlikely, suppose the Avs end up picking 11th (post lottery). How good a defender do you think the Avs would need coming back in a 1 for 1 trade using the 2015 1st?

I think they could get a solid defender for that pick. I'm not sure who though. It's kind of hard to think of an example though, as high end pick for high end player deals rarely happen like that.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

That pick is in the dead-zone for the most part. Few teams will trade 1:1 the value it holds. The best we're likely to see a top 4 defender offered for it.

Frankly, we're move likely to move down in the draft if we're at #11 imo. We could use a 1st + 2nd offered to drop down to 14th or 15th.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The nice thing is we are freeing up $6.5m in salary and don't really need to replace the two guys; Briere and Wilson's contributions have been zero. Add Hejda in and that's $10m to replace Hejda and get started on O'Reilly/Barrie/MacK/EJ extensions.

I'm not so sure if Hejda is going to be gone though. I expect a small dip in his salary but I think he's back for another year or maybe even two.

iand22

Jun 6, 2014
If we really are going to go after Radulov, which I would wholeheartedly approve, we would certainly need to trade ROR for low cost ELC types or futures. Since the extensions on Mack/EJ/Barrie all hit that year for at least $6 mil probably $8mil.

m0ngr31

I don't think the Avs FO would be talking contracts at all until this playoff hope is totally dead. Their MO seems to be not to distract the player/team with contract stuff much during the year.

I think once/if the Avs are eliminated the Hejda contract will come fairly quickly. I definitely think Briere and Wilson will be free to walk unless Wilson signs for a contract that can be buried without cap penalty.

Sekera will get signed by LA just like Gaborik did. I think they will cut bait with Voynov no matter what, either via to his legal issue or by trade.

Martin may be the only FA the Avs get a shot at I'd be interested in. Beauch will likely re-sign and Ehrhoff likes the East and will likely take less money to stay there. I'm not an Oduya fan.

Didn't Varly and Landy get extensions during the season?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Its possible they could move the pick esp. if the say Provorov, Werenski, or whoever they really like is gone by then. But I say hold onto the pick and see what happens in FA. If they strike out and our prospects cant make the jump then trade next years first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad