Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Max Pacioretty is a guy who really signed a team-friendly deal. 6 years, 4.5 million per season. God it would be lovely to have that kind of deal with one of our stars.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
certainly not a huge discount but he could have asked for more and certainly would have gotten it or gotten offer sheeted like o'money bags

The hypocrisy in this post is outstanding.

Duchene gets deals that are favorable to him, pay him a lot of money (as someone pointed out, the highest 2-year bridge deal post 04/05 lockout), and then follows it up with a 5 year deal at 6M AAV (which isn't a "hometown discount" at all, but in line, or slightly higher than some of his counterparts), but because O'Reilly didn't want that same bridge deal (he wanted a longer term deal at more money overall because he was giving up more years) he's now got fancy nicknames like "O'Money bags".

Outstanding. :clap:

***EDIT***

Not trying to re-open old wounds, so I'm just going to remove myself from this particular discussion at this point in time.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Getting so sick and tired of reading stupid nicknames like O'Money and garbage like that.

I don't remember us labeling good ol' Joe by the name of $akic for the rest of his career after signing a massive offer sheet with the Rangers.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
It just seems kind of odd calling the largest 2 year bridge deal a discount....

taking a bridge deal in the first place for a talent like duchene is being generous. and then not cashing in on superb performance on that bridge deal is taking a discount as well. the kid just really wants to be in an avs sweater forever

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Getting so sick and tired of reading stupid nicknames like O'Money and garbage like that.

I don't remember us labeling good ol' Joe by the name of $akic for the rest of his career after signing a massive offer sheet with the Rangers.

That's pretty awesome though. :naughty:

But who cared what players made back then? That had some to do with it as did the difference between the two players. I get what you're saying though and have no intention to argue.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Duchene gets deals that are favorable to him, pay him a lot of money (as someone pointed out, the highest 2-year bridge deal post 04/05 lockout), and then follows it up with a 5 year deal at 6M AAV (which isn't a "hometown discount" at all, but in line, or slightly higher than some of his counterparts), but because O'Reilly didn't want that same bridge deal (he wanted a longer term deal at more money overall because he was giving up more years) he's now got fancy nicknames like "O'Money bags".

***EDIT***

Not trying to re-open old wounds, so I'm just going to remove myself from this particular discussion at this point in time.

Do we know that for a fact? i don't think it ever came out what exactly ROR was asking for.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
taking a bridge deal in the first place for a talent like duchene is being generous. and then not cashing in on superb performance on that bridge deal is taking a discount as well. the kid just really wants to be in an avs sweater forever

It made business sense. How are you going to leverage a 28 point in 53 games season into a great long term deal?

$3.5M*2+$6M*5 = $5.28M*7

I don't think Duchene lost any money in the long run here.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
That's pretty awesome though. :naughty:

But who cared what players made back then? That had some to do with it as did the difference between the two players. I get what you're saying though and have no intention to argue.

No salary cap back then, either, so it affected the team a lot less.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

***EDIT***

viatnamese style eh? guerilla warfare. him em below the belt and bow out? thats not how discourse works old chap. if you want to start pointing fingers and make arguments you don't hit and run. And I'm a hypocrite for calling him a nickname that has been thrown around a lot by other members? I almost always call him factor when posting about him. U bite my head off the first time I make a money reference yet I don't see you chiming in and complaining to the other members that do the same thing. Do you hold it against EJ when he made a money joke about factor on twitter?!
Way to lead by example mr moderator...:handclap:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Do we know that for a fact? i don't think it ever came out what exactly ROR was asking for.

A LOT came out that he was looking at 5 years, 5M

Which means he'd be under contract right now (for 2 more years until the end of the 16/17 season) at a good price.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
viatnamese style eh? guerilla warfare. him em below the belt and bow out? thats not how discourse works old chap. if you want to start pointing fingers and make arguments you don't hit and run. And I'm a hypocrite for calling him a nickname that has been thrown around a lot by other members? I almost always call him factor when posting about him. U bite my head off the first time I make a money reference yet I don't see you chiming in and complaining to the other members that do the same thing. Do you hold it against EJ when he made a money joke about factor on twitter?!
Way to lead by example mr moderator...:handclap:

Yeah, you're doing so well with your comeback.

Nevermind the fact that I was taking myself out of a conversation before it came to blows, you decide to up the ante and make veiled insults.

I decided to "take myself out of this conversation" because of the very fact that I've gotten on posters' cases about the garbage nicknames they've called him (now, this was back during the OS signing, so maybe you don't remember). So you can keep walking.

Great job Mr. Poster :shakehead

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
A LOT came out that he was looking at 5 years, 5M

Which means he'd be under contract right now (for 2 more years until the end of the 16/17 season) at a good price.

From guys like Dater -- whom most of us have little faith in.
Those who truly know what was being asked/offered have never really let it out.
ROR fans "want" that to be true, but we don't know.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Back then there was no cap so fans generally didn't care what players earned. A lot of the time it wasn't even public information. These days fans have to worry about fitting people in under the cap and get fixated with salaries. Besides, Sakic had won a cup in Denver. Those things earn you some slack with fans.

Players that squeeze every bit of money out of teams, especially in the way O'Reilly has, lose a bit of good will with fans. That's just the way it is. He's fully within his right to do so but it's not that strange that it doesn't resonate well with all fans.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
It made business sense. How are you going to leverage a 28 point in 53 games season into a great long term deal?

$3.5M*2+$6M*5 = $5.28M*7

I don't think Duchene lost any money in the long run here.

It probably is pointless trying to argue against that argument. If he had been healthy his contract season he probably just signs long term around the same aav he's making right now

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It probably is pointless trying to argue against that argument. If he had been healthy his contract season he probably just signs long term around the same aav he's making right now

Wow...what a giant assumption there. I bet Matty gets that generous assumption because he grew up an Avs fan.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Yeah, you're doing so well with your comeback.

Nevermind the fact that I was taking myself out of a conversation before it came to blows, you decide to up the ante and make veiled insults.

I decided to "take myself out of this conversation" because of the very fact that I've gotten on posters' cases about the garbage nicknames they've called him (now, this was back during the OS signing, so maybe you don't remember). So you can keep walking.

Great job Mr. Poster :shakehead

nothing insulting or veiled about my post sir. I merely am pointing out that as a moderator, someone who should set an example for the tone of these threads, you should promote discourse instead of insulting other avalanche fans who do not share your same opinions. I'm sorry if you read into that differently

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think that's their intention at this point, two months away. But with Avs missing the playoffs this season, Central being so tough and having the outdoor game next year I worry that they're going to do something stupid if they don't land their preferred UFAs.

I think Stuart was their panic response to July 1 failures last year. I think Berra was their panic response to Giguere not being 100% last trade deadline. I'm going to need to see some patience from Roy and Sakic to truly believe what Roy is trying to sell here.
I would hope they realize they can't panic anymore, considering their talk of being patient and developing players. He did leave the door open that they'll bring someone in who could help while young guys are developing, but we'll see. I don't expect much in UFA.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Back then there was no cap so fans generally didn't care what players earned. A lot of the time it wasn't even public information. These days fans have to worry about fitting people in under the cap and get fixated with salaries. Besides, Sakic had won a cup in Denver. Those things earn you some slack with fans.

Players that squeeze every bit of money out of teams, especially in the way O'Reilly has, lose a bit of good will with fans. That's just the way it is. He's fully within his right to do so but it's not that strange that it doesn't resonate well with all fans.

This is especially true these days. Just look at the leeway Toews and Kane have gotten, and the contracts they've been able to ask for, since winning 2 cups together. It'll definitely buy you some leeway with the fans.

In O'Reilly's case, I think fans were pissed that he held out and signed with Calgary, and then this past summer wasn't signing a long-term contract, though it can be argued that maybe the long-term contract wasn't worth it, we really don't know specifics

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There isn't any chance that Duchene cashes in long term after his 3rd season. Coming off his worst year where he spent time on the 4th line, he isn't getting a $6m per sort of deal. The absolute best is an equivalent deal to Tavares, which is a major stretch IMO. Just a guess here, but he probably had a 4.5-5m long term deal on the table, but elected for the bridge to set him up for a bigger contract.

Tell us how you really feel. :sarcasm:

Neither deal was a discount. They were pure market value for players his age, experience, and production. Duchene didn't push for top dollar, but he also didn't take a cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad