Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He did the last time Avs made a roster move. He sent out a hint 3-4 minutes before announcing it on the official account. It was the Everberg called up move.
I wouldn't put a call up at the same level as a trade, and I don't think he'd hint at a trade on his own personal account.

If McGinn is out, it could be a chance for the Avs to look at what Everberg could do in McGinn's role if they did use McGinn as trade bait to find a defenseman.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah this year they're just trying to dump Martin on anyone, so they're deliberately undervaluing everyone they want in return.

I dont think PIT is trading Martin, they are in contender status and he is pretty integral to their transition game. It will probably be one of their younger d men like Despres or Dumoulin. The guy Rutherford desperately wants to be rid of is Scuderi

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/11/19/lebrun-pens-rutherford-in-great-position-to-trade
“And the thing about that is they have a lot of young defensemen in the organization. Some are at the NHL level. Some are at the AHL level. I had a GM from another team tell me at least two guys that are playing on their AHL team should be NHL defensemen.â€

“You would think that Jim Rutherford is in a good position to trade one of those kids... Dallas needs a defenseman. Colorado needs defensemen. Edmonton needs defensemen. There should be something there for Jimmy Rutherford to do given the abundance in that particular position in Pittsburgh.â€

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Despres straight up is the guy they should be targeting in a McGinn trade. One of the very few returns for Ginner I could stomach.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How would we ever find out if Wilson is put on LTIR? I don't recall teams just announcing that stuff. He's listed on the IR on the Avs site and has been for a week or so. I guess we can find out on CapGeek or not, but I'm sure at some point it would happen.

No point in calling up someone right now just to call someone up. We've already got Everberg just sitting in the press box.

These are normally things that beat reporters who are in touch with the team pass along.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't think we should be penciling Bigras or Siemens into our future defense core just yet. At this point there mid level b prospects and I'd say that's even being generous for Siemens. We did the same thing with Elliott at one point and look how that turned out. Even Barrie although gifted offensively will always be struggling in his own end. Bigras looks to be solid but let's not forget he's playing his final year of junior hockey realistically he should be dominating. Christ we had two WHL defencemen of the year winners in Barrie and Elliott and looked how they turned out. It's not like Bigras is the best defencman in the OHL right now I'd say as a prospect his value is a little higher than Elliott's was at the same age but probably right around the same level of a prospect Barrie was at the same age.

I think B level prospect is a little bit harsh to describe either guy, I think they are solid prospects but they both still have a long ways to go before they have a significant impact (top 4 or better) on our team.

Your point is well made though and one I've been trying to convey to a lot of people that assume because a player is picked in the 1st round, it's just a 'given' that he slots into the lineup sooner rather than later...when it's actually later or maybe never rather than sooner.

The Elliott example is an awesome one especially when you look back at 2-3 years ago, the way some fans here were hyping him up and scoffing at other teams trade proposals for him. Think back to THAT when you start scoffing at the fact that someone may not think that Siemens or Bigras will have a huge impact on our backend.

I would say, as of now, Giordano is solidly not available for trade. I think if they traded him right now it would rip that team apart. That ship has sailed.

For right now, you're probably right but in the near future, after the Flames go through a tough stretch or maybe they find themselves completely out of playoff contention, with the kind of season he has going this year AND his age, there will NEVER be a better time to get the most value back for him. I believe if they DON'T entertain trading him, they are doing themselves a huge, huge disservice for the future of that franchise. They held on to Iginla way too long and the same with Kiprusoff. At some point, they need to recognize where they are at and where they are headed.

Why is it a big leap of faith that Sekera resigns with us? As Bender said earlier, do you know him personally and know of his desires in the league? Joe and Patty could easily sit down with Sekera long before a trade happens, find out what kind of contract he's hoping for next summer, find out where he wants to play, and find out if he has any interest in being with the Avs for 5-6 years. You're the one making huge assumptions to think that this wouldn't happen, when so many trades in the NHL happen with these circumstances occuring before hand. Again, only looking at the negatives that are far less likely to happen.

I also continue to laugh at the notion that the Avs are significantly far off Chicago or Minnesota. Defensively yes we are. But that's it. We've gota better offense then Minnesota, and an offense that could be better then Chicago's within a year or two. As for experience, we've certainly got more experience then Minnesota. Briere, Stuart, Iggy, Talbot, Mitchell. They've all played in this league for a while, and especially the first 4 have a lot of experience with high pressure playoff hockey. That's a lot more then Minny, and its pretty much the same as CHI and LAK.

Defensively, yes we are way behind those teams. We've got 1 Top 2 Dman in EJ, and 1 Top 4 Dman in Barrie. Maybe another Top 4 Dman in Hejda, but he's ideally a bottom pairing guy on a cup contending Defense at this point. The addition of a top pairing guy like Sekera, or Yandle, or anyone else available doesn't 100% fix our defense, but it certainly does a lot. Not only does it give us that 2nd Top 2 Dman, but more importantly it gives EJ a good partner(Something he has never had in the NHL at this point), and it allows Hejda to move down to the 2nd pairing where he can play easier minutes. And it moves Holden off the 2nd pairing so he can play more suitable minutes.

Despite what you think, this team IS only 1-2 pieces and another year or two of development away from being a contender. We've got the Elite #1G in Varly. We've got the #1 Dman in EJ, we've got TWO #1C's in Duchene and Mackinnon. And we've got a #1 Winger in Landy. The forward depth is there too. Talbot, Mitchell, McGinn, McCleod.

Well, I don’t know if they could ‘easily’ discuss an extension because that’s something that needs to be agreed to with the team they’d be trading with but definitely it’s doable. The agent would have no advantage in lying to the Avs, since that would just damage future relationships with future and existing clients. So if they are dead set on UFA – July 1st, the Avs would know it and would balk at a trade in that case.

I don’t think we’re as close as you’re making it sound though. I think we get there eventually as long as the right moves are actually made. There will be a HUGE gap between MacKinnon right now at 19 yrs of age and say, MacKinnon at age 21. It won’t be close to what we’re seeing right now, in my opinion and that will certainly play to our strengths because other teams will need to defend both Duchene and Mack and it will be a lot harder than it is right now.

@JoeyAvs - To suggest we shouldn't make a trade to acquire a top-4 guy like Sekera (NOT AS A PURE RENTAL, if you're actually reading this) because we aren't close to being a contender as you mentioned, is like saying we shouldn't have made the Varly trade or the EJ trade. We weren't close to being a contender back then either. You need to get the assets to fill in the holes when they are available because those windows to acquire those kinds of players tend to close in a hurry and then what are you left with? Fayne and Nikitin? Borderline top-4 guys (not top-4 on GOOD teams)

I don't believe we are nearly as far off as you believe. We really need a #2 and a #3 to solidify our D (not saying it's all going to happen THIS season or next off-season but it NEEDS to happen soon*) and I believe we also need a top-6 playmaking winger to go with either of our shoot-first centers in Duchene and MacKinnon. Then the rest is a lot of fluff. You generally don't win or lose playoff series by who your 3rd line center is, however, having a great on can certainly help immensely.

*Why does it need to happen soon, you may ask? Because the last thing management wants is to give the impression that they are sitting on their hands and content seeing the team struggle with a defense that just can't cut it. That's when you'll actually start seeing some of the core guys wondering if this is the place they really should be long-term, if they want to win. Yeah, I'm talking about Erik Johnson specifically but it could also apply to others as well. (McGinn, Barrie) I mean, EJ has been with this club for what...4 years now and the best partner they've been able to dig up is Jan Hejda? Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy with what Hejda's been able to do, since he's been put in that position but that's a lot to ask of him as well. I realize that it's likely been a blessing in disguise and it's actually ALLOWED EJ to become the d-man he is today but throw the guy a frikkin' bone. He definitely needs an Giordano, Alzner or Sekera (in order of preference) to play along side him.

**For the record, I'm only debating this with you because I believe that fundamentally, what you are saying is incorrect. I believe that moving forward, to improve the club, something like this is going to have to happen to acquire what we've been missing. Would I prefer if the Canes accepted one of our prospects + a 2nd round pick? For sure! But somehow I doubt that would be enough.

My PERSONAL preference is that the Avs keep their 1st round pick for 2015. (I've already got my personal favourite as to who they should target, but it will likely take a top 10 pick to get him.) However, personal preference aside, I will certainly understand if they do make the kind of trade that has been suggested for a guy like Sekera. Hell, they should do what it takes to acquire BOTH Sekera AND Giordano...then we'll see what's what. :laugh:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
For right now, you're probably right but in the near future, after the Flames go through a tough stretch or maybe they find themselves completely out of playoff contention, with the kind of season he has going this year AND his age, there will NEVER be a better time to get the most value back for him. I believe if they DON'T entertain trading him, they are doing themselves a huge, huge disservice for the future of that franchise. They held on to Iginla way too long and the same with Kiprusoff. At some point, they need to recognize where they are at and where they are headed.

I think Gio would need to ask to move though (think he has NTC this season anyway).

Similar to Hejduk, I think it is in Gio's hands at this point. He seems to be the same type of vet in the room that the Avs spent all summer accumulating.

Can't see him go unless he asks to go or is at least agreeable to go. Likely a Kessler or Iginla type trade where he gives them a list of teams he'd go to, which is good for the team acquiring him since it seems to limit the value of the return a bit.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
@ Bender: Let us just agree to disagree.

I am not saying that we should not make a trade for a top 4 D.
Heck if we could get a good (young) one (should be #2 though) for ROR, I would ship him out immediately.

I am very willing to do a "now-for-now" trade (as long as Roy and Sakic get good value). I am just unwilling to do a "futures-for-now" trade. I am of the opinion that we simply can not afford it. Asset wise we are pretty broke right now.
The EJ trade had us acquiring a pick. I never really had a problem with it.
I disliked the Varly trade because I simply believed (and still do to some extent) that he should not have cost that much and that we took a huge gamble there (we picked #2 the year before and #1 the year after) and got lucky. Varlamov for MacKinnon does not sound all that pretty considering that Varly basically had already booked his flight home to play in the KHL at the time of the trade, does it?

This team will have to rebuild their prospect pool sooner or later. You need depth to win a cup. So giving up futures for something that we could get via trade (ROR) or UFA is not what I want to see.
Especially if that player has an expiring contract.
Non-contending teams do not do rentals. Its just not wise.

And I really doubt that Sekera is available anyways. At least not at a reasonable price and pretty certainly he would not come with an extension.

I think Gio would need to ask to move though (think he has NTC this season anyway).

Similar to Hejduk, I think it is in Gio's hands at this point. He seems to be the same type of vet in the room that the Avs spent all summer accumulating.

Can't see him go unless he asks to go or is at least agreeable to go. Likely a Kessler or Iginla type trade where he gives them a list of teams he'd go to, which is good for the team acquiring him since it seems to limit the value of the return a bit.

I doubt that Giordano will go anywhere. People are seriously underrating Calgary right now. I don't see how they are so worse off than the Avs. They have a great top pairing for atleast the next 3-4 years. They have Monahan / Bennett down the middle for 10+ years, Johnny Hockey, Baertschi (who is struggling right now but will hopefully figure it out) and a crapload of solid prospects to go along with massive capspace. I am not sold on Ramo and their defensive prospect pool is putrid but I probably should have taken the playoff bet Bender proposed. I see a lot of last years Avs in them. A young team with no expectations that just seems to have fun playing for their coach.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
@ Bender: Let us just agree to disagree.

I am not saying that we should not make a trade for a top 4 D.
Heck if we could get a good (young) one (should be #2 though) for ROR, I would ship him out immediately.

I am very willing to do a "now-for-now" trade (as long as Roy and Sakic get good value). I am just unwilling to do a "futures-for-now" trade. I am of the opinion that we simply can not afford it. Asset wise we are pretty broke right now.
The EJ trade had us acquiring a pick. I never really had a problem with it.
I disliked the Varly trade because I simply believed (and still do to some extent) that he should not have cost that much and that we took a huge gamble there (we picked #2 the year before and #1 the year after) and got lucky. Varlamov for MacKinnon does not sound all that pretty considering that Varly basically had already booked his flight home to play in the KHL at the time of the trade, does it?

This team will have to rebuild their prospect pool sooner or later. You need depth to win a cup. So giving up futures for something that we could get via trade (ROR) or UFA is not what I want to see.
Especially if that player has an expiring contract.
Non-contending teams do not do rentals. Its just not wise.

And I really doubt that Sekera is available anyways. At least not at a reasonable price and pretty certainly he would not come with an extension.

It's true that they will need to do that but they will need to become an established team with lesser holes in the lineup before they can really start to do that, in my opinion.

A big part of the issue, is another reason why Pracey was let go, they will need to be making the most out of ALL our picks and not hitting on a 3rd round pick once in 5 years...that just doesn't cut it. A lot of other teams have been hitting on later picks and it really gives them a boost. We've got Tyson Barrie and nothing since 2009 in the later rounds, that really hurts. Giving up picks is a lot easier when you know you've still got some young players who can come in and help depth-wise.

As for the last part, it's easily just as much speculation that he isn't available or wouldn't come with an extension as it is to suggest otherwise. Is Jason Spezza a frikkin' Pejorative Slur for signing the extension he is close to signing with the Stars?? Shouldn't he be maximizing his value by becoming a UFA?? Weird how that works out, huh?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It's true that they will need to do that but they will need to become an established team with lesser holes in the lineup before they can really start to do that, in my opinion.

A big part of the issue, is another reason why Pracey was let go, they will need to be making the most out of ALL our picks and not hitting on a 3rd round pick once in 5 years...that just doesn't cut it. A lot of other teams have been hitting on later picks and it really gives them a boost. We've got Tyson Barrie and nothing since 2009 in the later rounds, that really hurts. Giving up picks is a lot easier when you know you've still got some young players who can come in and help depth-wise.

As for the last part, it's easily just as much speculation that he isn't available or wouldn't come with an extension as it is to suggest otherwise. Is Jason Spezza a frikkin' Pejorative Slur for signing the extension he is close to signing with the Stars?? Shouldn't he be maximizing his value by becoming a UFA?? Weird how that works out, huh?

I agree with you that we have to fix our holes and rebuild our pool. But we have to do both at the same time and not one at the cost of the other one. If ROR has no longterm future than he has to be traded for either a good young D, a similarly talented winger or (amazing) futures. That should help a bit.

I don't get your comparison. Spezza has been with the Stars for several months now and has made a ton of money in his career. I think he likes his role on that Dallas team. It makes sense to discuss a contract at that point. Sekera probably does not know a thing about the Avs and has yet to cash in in his career. Why would he do an extend-and-trade?

We can't just trade for him and pray that he will like it and stay.
We have a very steep hill to climb to make the playoffs. Our odds are not good. So trading for him does not make much sense IMO.
What if he decides to test the market?
That would be a disastrous blow to our chances for the next several years. I am not willing to gamble on that. Not if you consider the probable asking price (2015 1st+) for him.

Just wait it out until July 1st. There should be a couple of good Ds available (maybe even Sekera) . We just need some luck.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Let's see the dollar amount when Spezza signs. Bobby Ryan re-signed with Sens but he did it at a salary that was equal to what he would have gotten in free agency. Vanek was, if I recall correctly, offered more by Islanders than he signed for in free agency.

Most personnel problems in the NHL could be solved by throwing enough money at them. Even the Ryan O'Reilly one.

Avs could easily upgrade their defense tomorrow if they wanted to. But it wouldn't necessarily make sense in the long run depending on assets they have to give up, what they have to pay the player and the future cap landscape. GMs who lose their patience tend to make the biggest mistakes.

It seems like the market for any kind of defender that's remotely useful is very expensive. Teams patch up defense with rejects and cheaper veterans.

Avs need to upgrade defense in a meaningful way and it'll probably happen within a year but I think it's hard to get something done until January/February at the earliest.

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It's crazy just how many teams are holding onto their defenders for life. It seems like no is for trade. A teams best bet is for some waiver wire pick up to do anything but suck hard.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Pittsburgh sounds like a great trade partner for the Avs when and if they trade RoR..... although he might not want to play wing so it might be tough to do a trade and sign.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's crazy just how many teams are holding onto their defenders for life. It seems like no is for trade. A teams best bet is for some waiver wire pick up to do anything but suck hard.

Yea, Defense are valued like gold right now around the league.

I think its probably because more and more teams are realizing the success of LA and Boston and Chicago have largely been because of an Elite Dcore, so teams are adjusting to build a good Defense first and foremost.

One team that probably moves a Dman in the next month or so is definitely Pittsburgh. They had some questionable Top 6 wingers before losing Dupuis, now they're extremely thin.

Not sure how big of a trade they make, but I could see them moving Despres, or Martin over the course of the next month. I think either of them would be a good fit for the Avs, but other then McGinn we dont have a Winger we can afford to give up and even Ginner would be a hard spot to fill from our forwards group.

Again, I think our best bet if were gonna improve our Defense is to move futures, or be patient and pray that a good Dman lands himself in free agency and the Avs go after him hard. We dont really have the forward depth in the Top 6 to move one for a Dman IMO. If we moved ROR for a Dman without getting a forward back, we'd lost a tonne of depth in our forwards. We'd be forced to roll McGinn in a regular Top 6 role, and our best injury replacement would then be Mitchell or Everberg.

FoppaForsberg*

If he were to go there I wouldn't mind something like Despres + Harrington + Goc or something

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If he were to go there I wouldn't mind something like Despres + Harrington + Goc or something

I'd go after Beau Bennett I think.

Despres + Bennett + 1st for ROR + 2nd.

Bennett is an ok replacement to ROR in the Top 6(Which we need), and Despres should carve out a nice NHL career as a #3/4 TWD.

Then we also move up anywhere from 10-25 spots in the draft depending on how the Avs do moving forward. Pittsburghs 1st would safely be in the bottom 10. Question would be whether the Avs 2nd is in the Top 40 or not.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I hope we get it in PIT and their D before the Oilers or DAL
I know Perron is having a bad year but he might look really good
next to either Sid or Malkin.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I see something as simple as McGinn for one of their young defenders. Not ROR.

Like I said earlier, if McGinn is out for a bit here, it's kind of an audition for Everberg to take over his role.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I doubt that Giordano will go anywhere. People are seriously underrating Calgary right now. I don't see how they are so worse off than the Avs. They have a great top pairing for atleast the next 3-4 years. They have Monahan / Bennett down the middle for 10+ years, Johnny Hockey, Baertschi (who is struggling right now but will hopefully figure it out) and a crapload of solid prospects to go along with massive capspace. I am not sold on Ramo and their defensive prospect pool is putrid but I probably should have taken the playoff bet Bender proposed. I see a lot of last years Avs in them. A young team with no expectations that just seems to have fun playing for their coach.

He may not, but we're only a quarter of the way through the season. Calgary's off to a good start for where they were expected to be, but things could change by the deadline, you never know. They could drop in the standings and go into sell mode, and they could get a pretty good offer for Gio, and Gio could consider moving to another team.

It's kinda in his court right now with his NTC, but we've heard players say they want to stay many many times before just to see them quietly be willing to move on without telling the fans. In fact we saw something very similar when Blake was traded to the Avs. He was saying all year he wanted to re-sign in LA, but quietly was willing to move on.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya, I also think it would be a smaller trade involving Ginner. Rather not see him traded though. He's not as valuable as ROR, but he's an extremely important part to this team. Great 3rd liner who can play spot duty in the Top 6 if needed. He's the type of player cup contending teams have in there bottom 6.

I'd rather move ROR honestly, for a better package. But I dont see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad