Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Totally spazzed on them just having to pass washington, my bad on that one.

Anyway, sample size my friend. ~20 games this year and ~40 games two years ago versus 89 games last year and 82 three years ago when we missed the playoffs in the final week of the season. We don't know how much he likes raising his family in carolina, or his neighbors/the-organization. So that is a factor we can not know until one of us runs into sekera at a bar and has a heart-to-heart. But we do have a much better core and appealing team, avs fan or no.

Let us agree on the Avs being a team that is very hard to judge from year to year. We certainly are not a team that should be considered a playoff lock from year-to-year.

I am not saying that Carolina is a better team than we are. Far from it. I just do not believe that the Avs are a big enough step up from Carolina for him right now to even think about wanting to be here and move his family mid-season to the West.

On another note.
With Dupuis getting injured, I could see the Pens going hard after McGinn. And depending on the return I would not be against it if it keeps us from making other moves that I don't like.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Let us agree on the Avs being a team that is very hard to judge from year to year. We certainly are not a team that should be considered a playoff lock from year-to-year.

I am not saying that Carolina is a better team than we are. Far from it. I just do not believe that the Avs are a big enough step up from Carolina for him right now to even think about wanting to be here and move his family mid-season to the West.

On another note.
With Dupuis getting injured, I could see the Pens going hard after McGinn. And depending on the return I would not be against it if it keeps us from making other moves that I don't like.

Possibly. But I think they find an inhouse solution like Megna (just from reading their boards) before doing a trade.
Im not sure what McGinn's worth is to them with Dupuis out. Different skillets.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Y'know I was thinking that just now before I clicked on the thread (McGinn going to the Pens) but I don't see them making a deal like that. McGinn's contract isn't huge but it ain't cheap either.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Ryan Boulding ‏@rboulding 1m1 minute ago
Get ready. #Avs fans.

Ryan usually do this when news of some sort are coming.

If I read too much into it. McGinn to Pens?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think Avs will need to use the cap space LTIR would open up. They already increased payroll with $10M or so and the team doesn't look to make the playoffs. If anything, I would expect them to reduce salary if the team doesn't turn things around.

Do I think they would use it, no. But all it takes is a couple paper transactions to get $2m in cap space back. You never know. Who knows where they will be or what deals could be had. Wouldn't it be better to have the space then to not have it?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

On another note.

See I just disagree with this. We're by no means cup contenders or playoff locks, but I think we have a lot more core talent in place than they do, especially if we remove Sekera from the equation. Still a lot of work to do before we're really cup contenders even if we did sign Sekera as a UFA without giving up anything, and extended ROR, but I do think we're at least a step up from Carolina and further along the way to being legitimately dangerous, and with sekera and ROR in tow would have everything in place to just sit tight and let it grow into something really special.

Plus we have more profile and league-wide appreciation for those phenomenal pieces that we do have. Varly was a vezina nom, Patrick and Joe are as high profile a HC/Chief-Exec duo as there is, EJ has been getting a lot of love around the league despite the team's horrendous start, our forwards are oft hyped, and Barrie's getting his name out there as a very high end offensive PMD, with the more than 50 points he's scored in the ~85 games he's played since Patrick took over. Add veterans like Iginla and Tanguay and this team has a lot of drawing power.

The core would still need time to mature into genuine cup contenders, and in that time we'd have to bolster the pipeline to replace the oldies as they aged out while resolving the ROR-situation and improving our depth, but with Sekera on this team we'd be very close to a playoff lock. We'd have an excellent top 3 on D, a vezina caliber goalie, our big 4 if they can start clicking again, plus the oldies and Malkin/McGinn/Everberg to fill supporting roles.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Ryan Boulding ‏@rboulding 1m1 minute ago
Get ready. #Avs fans.

Ryan usually do this when news of some sort are coming.

If I read too much into it. McGinn to Pens?
Or a simple Q+A with Duchene on twitter. I don't think Boulding would be posting from his own account about a real move.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So Bigras and a 2015 first for Sekera

If he had a long under-market contract, I'd honestly have to think long and hard about that. As is we can't give up our first this year, Bigras, Siemens, or Bleackley for any rental. No matter how perfect for us he'd be. We need those 4 pieces, not just to cover for the ROR situation, but also to provide that cheaper, high-talent depth that we're going to need once our core guys are ready to lead the way on a cup contender. Even with Sekera we'd need one of those two LHDs to play with Barrie and to somehow upgrade the spot next to Redmond between now and then.

Likewise even if we keep ROR we'll need to replace Iggy and Tanguay in the top 6, as well as improving the bottom 6 around Malkin, McGinn and Everberg/replacing Talbot when the time comes. With Ryan we'd have 7 guys young and talented enough to play a part on this team when we can realistically gun for a cup. Of the 5 spots we still have to fill at the very least 1 would be in our top 6. Some spots can be filled in FA, but others will need in house solutions we can bank on, and trades that we'll need expendable assets for. And that constant process of filling holes as the cap creates them amongst the forwards and D, requires a constant stream of cheap young talent to provide the organization with options to solve them with..

So even for a fit as perfect as Sekera I wouldn't give up this first, bigras, siemens or bleackley with his contract as it is.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He did before.
I don't see any specifically from him. Just a bunch of retweets from other sources. Either way, he's not going to hint at a trade, especially when the Avs usually like to announce them out of nowhere.

If he had a long under-market contract, I'd honestly have to think long and hard about that. As is we can't give up our first this year, Bigras, Siemens, or Bleackley for any rental. No matter how perfect for us he'd be. We need those 4 pieces, not just to cover for the ROR situation, but also to provide that cheaper, high-talent depth that we're going to need once our core guys are ready to lead the way on a cup contender. Even with Sekera we'd need one of those two LHDs to play with Barrie and to somehow upgrade the spot next to Redmond between now and then. Likewise even if we keep ROR we'll need to replace Iggy and Tanguay in the top 6, as well as improving the bottom 6 around Malkin, McGinn and Everberg/replacing Talbot when the time comes.
I'd be fine with dealing Siemens for a defenseman. I'm less and less convinced every day that the organization has faith in him.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't see any specifically from him. Just a bunch of retweets from other sources. Either way, he's not going to hint at a trade, especially when the Avs usually like to announce them out of nowhere.

I'd be fine with dealing Siemens for a defenseman. I'm less and less convinced every day that the organization has much faith in him.

I hope not. He was super young like mack and was going to need a lot of time, and he's made good headway, so I'd hate to see them losing him when he's finally within a season or two from cracking the NHL squad for anything but a long term solution, and love sekera though I do, his contract precludes him from being a long term solution right now.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

He did the last time Avs made a roster move. He sent out a hint 3-4 minutes before announcing it on the official account. It was the Everberg called up move.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Carolina are 6-3-1 since Eric Staal came back from his injury. I don't think they'll pull the plug until they know what they have when reasonably healthy.

It's possible Sekera don't want to re-sign with them and have to be traded but it's possible he wouldn't want to re-sign with anyone. Most rentals are fine with being rentals and I don't think that's changed with how silly the free agent market is these days.

Yeah, they won't trade him until the bottom falls out, he confirms he won't be signing an extension with them until UFA starts, and they embrace the tank...would be nice if that happened sooner rather than later though...

Coburn isn't that much of an upgrade puck skills and skating wise. He's basically a younger, more expensive Hejda, pass.

*shrug* If we struck out in FA and couldn't keep ROR I'd be fine with getting a younger Hejda to play with EJ and a nice right handed middle6er. At an aav of 4.5 Coburn's contract is pretty good even if it is more than Hejda's.

If Coburn heals right he's a better skater than Hejda and he has more innate puck skill than Hejda. We'd need Patrick to work a little magic to make him safe and reliable like Hejda, but if he did Coburn would be a fine fill-in next to EJ.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Alrighty.

Gscribbits tweeted this and I panicked without thinking that it was completely clearly and obviously fake.

JordanRoberts-COL%28Nike%29.png

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Gscribbits tweeted this and I panicked without thinking that it was completely clearly and obviously fake.

Jordan Roberts has the vision of Ray Charles. This is worse than the V pajamas the Canucks used to have or the rainbows the Astros' used to wear back in the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad