Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well, we've discussed the cap as well regarding a ROR acquisition and frankly, it's not an issue. Some guy's around here are actually worried about getting to the floor next year especially if young guys are forcing their way onto the Big Club. Also, Terry Pegula is a multi billionaire so there's that. The long term effects though, are certainly debatable. Maybe the Sabres are exactly what the Lanche could use; highly touted forward prospects of which we are stacked. Some of those guys could probably step in this year or next and make an immediate impact offensively, or simmer for a year or two ie. Grigorenko, Armia, Justin Bailey, Nic Baptiste, Hudson Fasching... Not to mention draft picks up the wazoo. Just sayin.

I'm not really opposed to that though some people want more of an established player. I just don't really understand why Buffalo would want him, why do they want to move any of their impressive stable of futures. What role of you see him in and are you really ok with him potentially walking in two years?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Would I prefer an NHL proven talent? Absolutely, but sometimes you gotta make a trade knowing the player you will get will be great in the future. Rangers did this when they traded for an unknown McDonagh, and now he is as close to unavailable currently. Islander's Zdeno Chara who was an unknown player at the time to Ottawa for Yashin. A young talented Chris Pronger traded to the Blues for Shanahan.

Sometimes you have to put faith in your pro scouting team and rely on them. Currently they have done an amazing job to know that if we ever traded ROR or McGinn for a young unproven defenseman with potential on the verge of becoming an NHL player, they will get the benefit of the doubt from me. Now I am not a scout for any NHL team, but when it comes to Zadorov, I've seen enough of him to be shocked if he doesn't become a top 4 defenseman one day.

I dunno, those scenarios are, IMO, outliers. Gainey was a good GM but was also prone to fits of stupidity. Why he threw Slats a viable prospect in a salary dump deal I have no idea. He also reportedly nearly dealt a young d prospect by the name of Subban to Tampa for Vinny Lecavalier. THAT would've made McDonagh for Gomez look positively tame by comparison.

And let's just not use Mad Mike's track record for any comparisons. :laugh: I also wouldn't include a franchise like Hartford that essentially committed professional suicide either.

I suppose from a cap perspective it might be wise, but trading a present player for futures (even if they're close) is a risky gamble I don't think the Avs have to take. They're too close to take a step back now. And I think they could parlay ROR into a good top-four guy and a decent two-way or defensive forward. I think those two things would have a profound impact on the quality of this team's play.

I suppose I would do a ROR-for-Gormley/Vermette deal or something along those lines. But I doubt Arizona would.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm not really opposed to that though some people want more of an established player. I just don't really understand why Buffalo would want him, why do they want to move any of their impressive stable of futures. What role of you see him in and are you really ok with him potentially walking in two years?

Personally, I'm not in love with ROR but, we actually may have too? many youngsters coming up and some would say that a solid top 6 guy could offer some protection for the rookies, allowing young guys to get "choice" zone starts, ice time etc... Development is a big word in our town. Also, between (presumably)McEichel, Grigorenko, Reinhart, and present vets, there's a bottleneck effect of forwards coming up even as soon as next year with some C's getting pushed to the wing. If the Sabres move vets, there's still a crunch and a need to pay, even overpay, a guy or two. That, and fans are looking to be competitive next year. That train of thought brought up ROR as a target.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Not to mention we have solid prospects that are 2 to 3 years away as well as draft picks for days. So, I would think Murray would want some sort of reassurance that ROR would resign here but, it won't be an issue paying him. Maybe some of the players are a year or two away from being household names but they are physically ready and have high end skill sets. Truly guys that could step into top 6 rolls and contribute immediately. D men tend to take a little longer to develop but, we have them as well.

Not boasting, how could I, we suck and most youngsters have proven nothing at the NHL level but just curious what could be offered.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
JMO but someone that has worked as hard as he has to get to UFA and at his age is going to have no interest in signing with someone without exploring the market. If he has any sort of feelings about making an amicable deal it would be here. I don't know if a ridiculous offer changes that but I think it would have to be that, ridiculous and not even in the realm of reasonable. I understand that doesn't help in discussing trade scenarios because especially teams that are not in win now mode are not going to trade for a rental. In a lot of discussions I always see how its just assumed the player traded for can be retained and in this case of ROR I would err on assuming not.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A trade!

Canadiens Montréal @CanadiensMTL
Canadiens acquire defenseman Bryan Allen from the Anaheim Ducks, in return for forward Rene Bourque.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Allen wasn't playing much but I think it's only a matter of time before the Ducks make a splash for a defenseman. Would be surprised if they don't get one of Myers, Sekera, or Staal at some point.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Montreal must not have a whole lot of faith in those young defensemen of there's to eat up any meaningful minutes at the moment.

Because they don't have to take on all the salary without giving back any.

Its MTL, getting a sniff at contender status. They feel like they have an opportunity to get somewhere this year so they shore up those lower spots with some experience.

...or its just crap for crap.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
One year of a guy that tries but doesn't have a lot left to give vs two years of a guy with much more skill but much less effort.

Bourque, if he snaps and start playing hard like he did a couple of years with Calgary, is a useful player.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Why didn't they put in a waiver claim then?

I saw this too

#Oilers acquire centre Kellan Lain (@klain19) from @VanCanucks in exchange for centre Will Acton.

probably because they were close to the limit of 50 contracts . When they make a 1 for 1 trade , they dont add any contract .

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why didn't they put in a waiver claim then?

I saw this too

#Oilers acquire centre Kellan Lain (@klain19) from @VanCanucks in exchange for centre Will Acton.

Salary.

I'm sure you realized that yourself about 5 seconds after you posted but it seems like the cool thing to do :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad