In Chevy We Trust

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
And now this is questionable with how Schmidt, and Dillion are playing.

What are you talking about lol they've been exactly as advertised.

We weren't expecting star players I dont think. More reliable upgrades to Poolman and Forbort? Sure. And they've been that.

Schmidt is probably a mil, maybe two overpaid. But we got him for free and filled a massive hole on the top pair.

He has looked alright as a top pair D so I dont see why he should be labelled as less than that?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
dillon or dillon-pionk has been a disappointment. dillon inarguably as an individual player is the best dman Pionk has been paired with here (over a significant amount of time). i mean, the main partners have been kulikov, sbisa or forbort (lol), and pionk has performed admirably (including a fantastic year last season).

schmidt has been as advertised. great puck-mover, but will have trouble in his own-zone though at times. that's basically what he has been in his career.

obviously only 8 games in, but just thoughts so far.

Reactions: surixon

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I too have not been overly impressed with Dillon but the sample size is small. I do like his physical play which is something the Jets desperately need if they are going to go deep in the playoffs. That said, he needs to avoid taking too many penalties.

Reactions: GNP

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What are you talking about lol they've been exactly as advertised.

We weren't expecting star players I dont think. More reliable upgrades to Poolman and Forbort? Sure. And they've been that.

Schmidt is probably a mil, maybe two overpaid. But we got him for free and filled a massive hole on the top pair.

He has looked alright as a top pair D so I dont see why he should be labelled as less than that?
Agreed. But it seems like when we say top pairing d, or 1st line player we mean he is your best at that position or top 2 in the case of defensemen. Like Ben Chiarot has played most of his career as a top pairing dman.....which he isn't (in my books)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Agreed. But it seems like when we say top pairing d, or 1st line player we mean he is your best at that position or top 2 in the case of defensemen. Like Ben Chiarot has played most of his career as a top pairing dman.....which he isn't (in my books)

That's fair. I think saying Schmidt is playing a good as a 2D is fair. Not a number one guy definitely. But he has made Morrissey better and improved our transition game overall.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
dillon or dillon-pionk has been a disappointment. dillon inarguably as an individual player is the best dman Pionk has been paired with here (over a significant amount of time). i mean, the main partners have been kulikov, sbisa or forbort (lol), and pionk has performed admirably (including a fantastic year last season).

schmidt has been as advertised. great puck-mover, but will have trouble in his own-zone though at times. that's basically what he has been in his career.

obviously only 8 games in, but just thoughts so far.

More of a Pionk issue IMO -
He was the problem on 2 of the goals against -
Left Benn alone in front on one - and was ineffective in clearing the front on Klingberg's wrister (he actually was the screen for that goal).

He needs to get it together in his own end and focus more attention to his D game rather than prioritizing his offensive game.
I called this out LY (contract year) as a concern - it's worse now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
More of a Pionk issue IMO -
He was the problem on 2 of the goals against -
Left Benn alone in front on one - and was ineffective in clearing the front on Klingberg's wrister (he actually was the screen for that goal).

He needs to get it together in his own end and focus more attention to his D game rather than prioritizing his offensive game.
I called this out LY (contract year) as a concern - it's worse now.
dillon hasn't been good himself either. but pionk was terrible last game no doubt.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
dillon hasn't been good himself either. but pionk was terrible last game no doubt.

Dillon would probably look better with a D partner that was more effective in his own end - not necessarily a stay at home guy but someone who split the role.
Pionk absolutely needs a pure D focused partner to be effective - too small, too slow to handle man to man coverage. Caught out of position often while chasing guys down for the open ice hit.
He won't make up for his man to man shortfall with those types of hits.

Edit: I'm off topic - apologies

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
D pairings need more than 8 games to fully gel. These guys are still feeling each other out. I am not concerned about them in the least. They will make mistakes, they will go to the film room, they will talk about it, and as they become more aware of each others strengths and weaknesses and communicate more they will become more cohesive.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I too have not been overly impressed with Dillon but the sample size is small. I do like his physical play which is something the Jets desperately need if they are going to go deep in the playoffs. That said, he needs to avoid taking too many penalties.

I think based off strong analytics on strong teams as a bottom half of the lineup guy Dillion had his expectations on here raised higher than the Jets expectations of him. They paid a price commensurate with a big, physical number 4 D and that's what we got.

There was some (reasonable at the time) chatter about Dillon Pionk being the real first pair in time given Morrissey's and Schmidt's poor analytics in previous seasons. I think we have seen why which pair is which.

I shouldnt have jumped all over adam da bomb the way I did there. The point I was trying to get across was that the only way these additions are underwhelming is if you were expecting a bit too much.

Schmidt is a lot better than Poolman.

Dillon is a bigger, stronger faster version of Forbort.

We got what we needed. Sure, I'd have loved Dougie Hamilton too haha, but I'm not sure that was ever an option for us. Chevy made a couple wise moves imo

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ok, we didn’t close the Chevy/Beach thread just to move the discussion over to this one. This thread is to do with Chevy as it relates to his job with the Jets. Please stay on topic.

Thanks.
Is it officially a banned topic of discussion here, then? Genuinely curious as it seems to still be part of the Winnipeg news cycle, that's all.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It's an early read but PLD > Laine + Roslo. Trade looking solid this year (we pretty much all agreed that last year didn't count - horrible situations for traded players to try to adjust). So good job on the trade, Chevy! Well Done!

So doesn't that mean Chevy got it wrong when he drafted Laine in front of PLD? Remember, JK has stated publicly that he offered other assets to Chevy to move up to pick Laine. So we could have had PLD plus other, plus still had Roslo to move for more other.

Just sayin'

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's an early read but PLD > Laine + Roslo. Trade looking solid this year (we pretty much all agreed that last year didn't count - horrible situations for traded players to try to adjust). So good job on the trade, Chevy! Well Done!

So doesn't that mean Chevy got it wrong when he drafted Laine in front of PLD? Remember, JK has stated publicly that he offered other assets to Chevy to move up to pick Laine. So we could have had PLD plus other, plus still had Roslo to move for more other.

Just sayin'

nah laine was a superior prospect at the time and correct pick imo. he was trending to be great here given his 19-20 year and 1 game as a jet in '21 (i know i know it was just 1 game). still think he was the correct pick at the time, but no doubt that PLD has looked good this year. i havent followed CBJ/Laine much but he is PPG too.

i think you go bpa most times and in 2016 think laine was>pld. the gap isn't that far between them these days, PLD does play a priority position tho.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
nah laine was a superior prospect at the time and correct pick imo. he was trending to be great here given his 19-20 year and 1 game as a jet in '21 (i know i know it was just 1 game). still think he was the correct pick at the time, but no doubt that PLD has looked good this year. i havent followed CBJ/Laine much but he is PPG too.

i think you go bpa most times and in 2016 think laine was>pld. the gap isn't that far between them these days, PLD does play a priority position tho.

Dubois wasn't even a center at the draft, Columbus converted him after.

It just shows the importance of development, Laine just never developed much after his first two years here whereas Dubois outside of last year has developed fairly linearly.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

I agree on the Laine pick, too.

I was just trying to balance out my posts about Chevy. ;)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yup. Pretty sure he played sparingly at C pre draft. But post draft he was exclusively there.
Dubois wasn't even a center at the draft, Columbus converted him after.

It just shows the importance of development, Laine just never developed much after his first two years here whereas Dubois outside of last year has developed fairly linearly.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013

Just sayin'
I've thought about this too, but the fact that Laine's (arguably) two best seasons came on his ELC (during one of which PLD was still in junior) Chevy appears to have positioned us to get the best value years out of both players' careers. Laine will likely be terribly overpaid very soon. We avoided that while getting PLD's prime. That's pretty perfect.

JK also never said what he would have added to trade up. If that ever comes out we can discuss again. I think Chevy made the right call and maximized value on draft day, and again on trade day.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I've thought about this too, but the fact that Laine's (arguably) two best seasons came on his ELC (during one of which PLD was still in junior) Chevy appears to have positioned us to get the best value years out of both players' careers. Laine will likely be terribly overpaid very soon. We avoided that while getting PLD's prime. That's pretty perfect.

JK also never said what he would have added to trade up. If that ever comes out we can discuss again. I think Chevy made the right call and maximized value on draft day, and again on trade day.

Jarmo Kekalainen on the Dubois-Laine Deal | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

In this interview he says they tried like hell to move up to 2nd to get him. You dont move higher by giving nothing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

In this interview he says they tried like hell to move up to 2nd to get him. You dont move higher by giving nothing.
I’m not really sure how relevant this is. As 18 year olds Laine was closer to Matthews at #1 then PLD or Pool Party at #3. As 22 year olds Matthews was far and away the best player of the draft with PLD and Laine very close with the edge to PLD because of the more important position and not being a head case. Pool party falling off the map. Bottom line you don’t make the trade as 18 year olds but you make it as 22 year olds. Unless somehow you have the ability to predict the future.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Just sayin'

No Laine at that time was the best choice. Would've been stupid for the Jets to trade down to draft PLD who may not even have developed the same way if on the Jets.

Jets got 140 goals and 250 points out of Laine compared to PLD who put up 66 foals and 159 points in the same time period. If PLD keeps playing like this the Jets got the best of both worlds. PLD was not NHL ready at 18 but Laine was ready to contribute, PLD now also has an extra year of team control left before he its UFA. Essentially by drafting Laine the Jets got a ~100 extra points and 2 more years of team control (essentially getting a 9 year RFA instead of a 7 year one with the #2 overall pick). That is exceptional value, esp for a team that is contending in that window. Not to mention that Laine was a great fit on the 17-18 team as a pure goal scorer in a team loaded with play drivers. Not sure if we make the WCF that season with PLD in the lineup. Assuming PLD can keep this up and Roslovic peeks as a 3rd line complimentary winger.

You pick the best player possible and if needed later flip them, trying to be smarter than everyone is how you end up drafting Julevi over Tkachuk,

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

This would confirm at the time most GM’s thought higher of Laine. But it was confirmed (by TSN insider) at the draft before the big trade Chevy went to CBJ to offer Laine and CBJ flatly rejected Laine trade……well there would only be four players of interest on CBJ at the time Chevy would of had even the slightest interest in being Jones, Werenski, Bjorkstrand and PLD……..and CBJ GM refused to trade any of those four for Laine in some kind of deal. Which shows CBJ preferred to keep the pieces they had including/especially PLD their 1C. So at the draft Chevy picked Laine which by consensus was the better prospect, then at the draft just before the big trade CBJ refused to trade PLD (Chevy likely main target or Werenski) for Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad