In Chevy We Trust

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hard to have a realistic contingency plan to guard against your best dmen who also has a large cap hit suddenly up and leaving.

Would Pittsburgh have a realistic one on place of Crosby just upped and retired tomorrow?

True - but I don't use Buff blindsiding him as any kind of excuse for Chevy. I just ignore it. Buff retired. That's all. Coming along with all of the other D losses, it was the last straw and Chevy has been trying to rebuild the D ever since, without much success until now. But who ever expected it to happen over night?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hard to have a realistic contingency plan to guard against your best dmen who also has a large cap hit suddenly up and leaving.

Would Pittsburgh have a realistic one on place of Crosby just upped and retired tomorrow?
Enstrom, Trouba, Myers and Chiarot were already gone and then Buff retired. It would be like if half of Pittsburgh's Top 6 left and then Crosby retired tomorrow. Either way, I doubt Rutherford would wait until the offseason after the 2022-2023 season to address the situation. But then again, the Pens know their city won't support a loser, so they have to stay competitive. In Winnipeg...meh... ;)

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We shall see how this thread ages if we end up having to rely on Comrie should Hellebucyk get the injured.
I mean, I wouldn't be comfortable with Brossoit as our starting goalie if Hellebuyck got injured. If that happens you go out and make a trade for a better goalie regardless if you have Comrie or Brossoit backing up.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Chevy has been a great steward of the Jets Cap situation, and able to acquire great players on reasonable contracts. These 2 new guys, Schmidt, and Dillon make us a Cup Contender.

The only "overpay" is to Wheeler at $ 8.5 mil, when he's only worth $ 5.5, and this will hurt us. Also Stastny is on the high side -- rest are great.

In my opinion, The Winnipeg Hockey Club, adamantly disagrees with the bolded.

Where in the NHL can you find a point per game player, and leader/Captain of a franchise, for 5.5 million dollars per season (rhetorical).

#WeAreWPG

To each their own.

Onward & Upward!!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mean, I wouldn't be comfortable with Brossoit as our starting goalie if Hellebuyck got injured. If that happens you go out and make a trade for a better goalie regardless if you have Comrie or Brossoit backing up.

Brossoit showed every sign of being able to carry the team for a time while Helle was injured, if that had happened. We'll never know if he could have been successful if needed, but I see no reason to doubt it.

OTOH, Comrie has shown no sign of being able to handle the 2nd half of b2b sets, or anything else at the NHL level. He has some ability, as he has shown in the A. Maybe he is ready now, or not. But based on the data we have, I think it is a poor bet.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
A lot of the Buff retirement situation would have been moderated if Chevy drafted more D in the first round.... I like Connor but we should have taken Chabot - Ves is nice but Hague or Timmins are way more valuable.

I don't believe that Comrie will be our backup this season - Chevy will grab a vet for league minimum or close once the Copp and Pionk situation is clearer.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
A lot of the Buff retirement situation would have been moderated if Chevy drafted more D in the first round.... I like Connor but we should have taken Chabot - Ves is nice but Hague or Timmins are way more valuable.

I don't believe that Comrie will be our backup this season - Chevy will grab a vet for league minimum or close once the Copp and Pionk situation is clearer.
The 6 drafts including the one Ves was drafted in the Jets drafted 3 defenseman in the first round plus the Ves draft the Jets drafted Samberg in the second round.

you actually think the Jets should have drafted 5 defenseman in the first round in 6 consecutive drafts?

Reactions: gojetsgo

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The 6 drafts including the one Ves was drafted in the Jets drafted 3 defenseman in the first round plus the Ves draft the Jets drafted Samberg in the second round.

you actually think the Jets should have drafted 5 defenseman in the first round in 6 consecutive drafts?
Obviously I am not saying that - but defencemen really should be your target in the first round... its simply a fact that they cost more to trade for and are more valuable as trade bait or draft and develop guys.

Chabot, Juulsen, Laine, Stanley, Timmins, Heinola, Perfetti, Lucius

Even if you still take Connor, you need to grab a D instead of Roslo imo

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Obviously I am not saying that - but defencemen really should be your target in the first round... its simply a fact that they cost more to trade for and are more valuable as trade bait or draft and develop guys.

Chabot, Juulsen, Laine, Stanley, Timmins, Heinola, Perfetti, Lucius

Even if you still take Connor, you need to grab a D instead of Roslo imo
no, your target should be who ever you think is going to be the best player, most of these guys are going to be 2-3-4 years away and you never know what you are going to end up needing.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

The Bruins drafted Zboril over Barzal and Connor in 2015.

The Hurricanes drafted Fleury over Nylander and Ehlers in 2014.

The Canucks picked Juolevi over Tkachuk and Keller in 2016.

It's easy to look back on the drafts and say that we should have picked better D because they're valuable, but that's not a realistic look back. The 2015 Winnipeg Jets picking Chabot over Connor with the D we had back then would have been lunacy. Would you have been saying that during our 2018 season if Connor is putting up 30 goals and Chabot is in the AHL?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
no, your target should be who ever you think is going to be the best player, most of these guys are going to be 2-3-4 years away and you never know what you are going to end up needing.
Given the fact that D are highly overvalued - the BPA for your team is almost always the D prospect using this logic.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The Bruins drafted Zboril over Barzal and Connor in 2015.

The Hurricanes drafted Fleury over Nylander and Ehlers in 2014.

The Canucks picked Juolevi over Tkachuk and Keller in 2016.

It's easy to look back on the drafts and say that we should have picked better D because they're valuable, but that's not a realistic look back. The 2015 Winnipeg Jets picking Chabot over Connor with the D we had back then would have been lunacy. Would you have been saying that during our 2018 season if Connor is putting up 30 goals and Chabot is in the AHL?
Im not saying draft D at all costs... the Boston reach was ridiculous since both Chabot and Connor were ranked higher that either of those guys

Every team has hits and misses - I'm just saying that the Jets over-value scoring and drastically over value wingers in the first round

For instance, I wouldn't change the Perfetti or Lucius picks because they are definitely BPA compared to the next closest D

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Im not saying draft D at all costs... the Boston reach was ridiculous since both Chabot and Connor were ranked higher that either of those guys

Every team has hits and misses - I'm just saying that the Jets over-value scoring and drastically over value wingers in the first round

For instance, I wouldn't change the Perfetti or Lucius picks because they are definitely BPA compared to the next closest D
Zboril was nowhere near the reach that Chabot would have been. McKenzie's rankings (which are based on what a sample of NHL scouts have told him) has Zboril at 14 (just after Connor) and Chabot at 25.

Zboril's being a massive reach was a complete post-draft fabrication. He was always expected to go around that slot. I don't know if any draft ranking had Chabot over Zboril.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Zboril was nowhere near the reach that Chabot would have been. McKenzie's rankings (which are based on what a sample of NHL scouts have told him) has Zboril at 14 (just after Connor) and Chabot at 25.

Zboril's being a massive reach was a complete post-draft fabrication. He was always expected to go around that slot. I don't know if any draft ranking had Chabot over Zboril.
Here are the actual draft rankings

2015 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Here are the actual draft rankings

2015 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings
Huh, it appears I misremembered. McKenzie (so a sample of scouts) had Zboril much higher, but otherwise Chabot was fairly highly ranked.

Still, point stands. Boston didn't reach by picking Zboril over Barzal and Connor. It was still a bad pick, which they should have avoided. The 2015 Bruins is pretty much the shining example of why you should ignore team needs when picking. They could have drafted Barzal and flipped him for whichever young D-man they wanted.

Hell, there is an argument that we probably still could flip Connor for a pretty damn good young D-man. But at the end of the day, teams are wary of trading away a player who has the 6th most goals in the league over the past 3 seasons. 8th most since he entered the league.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Huh, it appears I misremembered. McKenzie (so a sample of scouts) had Zboril much higher, but otherwise Chabot was fairly highly ranked.

Still, point stands. Boston didn't reach by picking Zboril over Barzal and Connor. It was still a bad pick, which they should have avoided. The 2015 Bruins is pretty much the shining example of why you should ignore team needs when picking. They could have drafted Barzal and flipped him for whichever young D-man they wanted.

Hell, there is an argument that we probably still could flip Connor for a pretty damn good young D-man. But at the end of the day, teams are wary of trading away a player who has the 6th most goals in the league over the past 3 seasons. 8th most since he entered the league.
I like the one that lists John Roslovic at 28

we will agree to disagree - barzal was consistently in the top ten... but honestly Boston just screwed up their development as well and then also picked a random winger over barzal etc

I don’t mind the Connor pick - it’s more Ves and Roslovic that I could have done without

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I like the one that lists John Roslovic at 28

we will agree to disagree - barzal was consistently in the top ten... but honestly Boston just screwed up their development as well and then also picked a random winger over barzal etc

I don’t mind the Connor pick - it’s more Ves and Roslovic that I could have done without
It's the same issue with Roslovic though. In fact, I'm not even sure who you would have liked us to pick over Roslovic. The next 4 D-men picked are an NHL tweener, a bottom pairing D-man with no production to speak of, an AHLer and a guy who is penciled in to play in the Slovakian league next season. Even Roslovic, disgruntled and asking for a trade, probably got us more value than those guys would have.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's the same issue with Roslovic though. In fact, I'm not even sure who you would have liked us to pick over Roslovic. The next 4 D-men picked are an NHL tweener, a bottom pairing D-man with no production to speak of, an AHLer and a guy who is penciled in to play in the Slovakian league next season. Even Roslovic, disgruntled and asking for a trade, probably got us more value than those guys would have.
Oh I wanted juulsen at that time... his career was derailed by random injuries

again if we would have developed Roslovic as a C maybe it would ha e made sense - but we were still thin on D prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->