In Chevy We Trust

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I've been a massive Chevy supporter since day one. These last 5 days have been incredible for Chevy and the rest of management team.

First Friday night 1st Round at the draft: Chaz Lucius at 17 OA. Another great1st round pick!
Saturday Nikita Chibrikov 50 OA and two other reasonable picks.

Saturday - Brenden Dillon massive defensive minded Dman & resign Paul Stastny

Tuesday then Nate Schmidt for a 2022 3RD

In four days we have added significantly to our weaknesses.

We don't actually know how much difficulty Chevy and our management team face trying to making us a contender?!

Congrats on exceeding our expectations! IN Chevy we trust!

I can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been a massive Chevy supporter since day one. These last 5 days have been incredible for Chevy and the rest of management team.

First Friday night 1st Round at the draft: Chaz Lucius at 17 OA. Another great1st round pick!
Saturday Nikita Chibrikov 50 OA and two other reasonable picks.

Saturday - Brenden Dillon massive defensive minded Dman & resign Paul Stastny

Tuesday then Nate Schmidt for a 2022 3RD

In four days we have added significantly to our weaknesses.

We don't actually know how much difficulty Chevy and our management team face trying to making us a contender?!

Congrats on exceeding our expectations! IN Chevy we trust!

I can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Here comes the bandwagon
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 10.00.00 PM.png

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Chevy has definitely thrown draft and develop out the window for a while now. Past activity had us down to only four draft picks this year, we are already down to four picks next year, and we are down a pick for the 2023 draft.

At least this year, we are starting the season with what looks like a very solid D core. The last 2 years have been painful. Some previous moves, it was like we wanted to just throw away future picks for the sake of being able to say we did something - like last year acquiring Jordie Benn. This off season, the moves Chevy has made are solid, worthwhile adds to the roster to address real needs. Or in the case of Stastny, a really good re-sign of a solid asset.

I really like what Chevy has done this off season so far.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Chevy has definitely thrown draft and develop out the window for a while now. Past activity had us down to only four draft picks this year, we are already down to four picks next year, and we are down a pick for the 2023 draft.

At least this year, we are starting the season with what looks like a very solid D core. The last 2 years have been painful. Some previous moves, it was like we wanted to just throw away future picks for the sake of being able to say we did something - like last year acquiring Jordie Benn. This off season, the moves Chevy has made are solid, worthwhile adds to the roster to address real needs. Or in the case of Stastny, a really good re-sign of a solid asset.

I really like what Chevy has done this off season so far.
I just think that Chevy refuses to overpay past a certain limit which we should be happy about. Last year was impossible - it's already hard enough to have good roster fluidity for this franchise and covid made it that much harder.

I think the mistake was not playing the youngins - that in retrospect was likely the best move.

Reactions: GNP and thereturn

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
When I look back at everything that Chevy has done or not done, I am always reminded that over 90% of the time he did the best he possibly could with the hand he was dealt.
Had to trade Kane, got great return.
Great Draft results.
Should he have matched myers contract: no
Had to trade Trouba: Got Pionk and Heinola.
Buff stood us up, nothing he could do.
and the big one, 99% of players dont want to play here! Even Schmidt we had to convince 3 times.

The only real negative one that jumps out at me in 10 years is the deal with Vegas to lose Suzuki.

But other than that, as the broadcasters at the entry draft said, the Jets entire organization seems to be on the same page about what they want and what's a reasonable price.

Other GM's in warm climates with no state tax have it SO much easier than we do, he's done great in my opinion.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I've always said that Chevy has it far more difficult than the vast majority of GMs. With Winnipeg on so many no-trade lists, it makes his job 90 per cent tougher in terms of making trades or signing free agents. When you look at the success of Winnipeg compared to large market teams like Toronto, Los Angeles, the Rangers, Chicago, etc. etc. etc. in the past three or four years, then look at the obstacles facing the Jets, you have to be impressed with our management.

Except for not scouting the Canadian junior leagues enough (that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it) and being far too loyal to the coaching staff going back to Claude Noel, I'd give Chevy and his upper management staff an "A" each year. The A-plus comes with a Stanley Cup win.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
When I look back at everything that Chevy has done or not done, I am always reminded that over 90% of the time he did the best he possibly could with the hand he was dealt.
Had to trade Kane, got great return.
Great Draft results.
Should he have matched myers contract: no
Had to trade Trouba: Got Pionk and Heinola.
Buff stood us up, nothing he could do.
and the big one, 99% of players dont want to play here! Even Schmidt we had to convince 3 times.

The only real negative one that jumps out at me in 10 years is the deal with Vegas to lose Suzuki.

But other than that, as the broadcasters at the entry draft said, the Jets entire organization seems to be on the same page about what they want and what's a reasonable price.

Other GM's in warm climates with no state tax have it SO much easier than we do, he's done great in my opinion.
Well said (I just would have given you a "like", but "the man" took away my like button for some battles I had with Montreal fans in the general forum during the playoffs, lol).

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Chevy recognizes that the window to compete for the Cup is still open, but is a year or two away from closing significantly as Scheifele leaves his prime years, Wheeler approaches retirement, and before younger players like Dubois and Perfetti can pick up the slack themselves. In other words, the time is now.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Realistically, in 10 years chevy hasn't made very many bad moves. Even the ones that turned out badly made sense at the time.

1. Steve Mason - we needed a starter
2. Dmitri Kulikov - overpay, had injury issues
3. Trading up, and reaching for, Stanley - ended up working out
4. Paying a 1st for Hayes
5. Pavelec extension
6. Wheeler's deal - TBD

I'm sure there are more, feel free to add to the list. That said, that's over a 10 year period and there aren't any franchise crippling major f-ups.

Sometimes the best move a GM can make is not making a move.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Considering Winnipeg isn’t a FA hot spot, Chevy has done well to assess the market and then pounce on opportunities to add players he’s had his eye on for awhile.

Didn’t overpay for either Dillon or Schmidt, IMO, and didn’t lose any prime prospects in getting them.

Good work Chevy.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
He has no plan and has to pick a side of the fence, strip it down completely, sell and collect more draft picks or go all in on the Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, Byfuglien core and just go for it. Just AT LEAST pick a concrete direction. NO GM/TEAM has EVER just took the middle ground and out drafted 3/4 of the league to become successful.

They said.

kevin-cheveldayoff-a3552370-e655-47f3-ab10-79ac532594e-resize-750.jpeg

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Plenty to agree with in this thread, and I'm a Chevy fan.

He has been quicker to spend picks than to acquire them, though, and with two loaded drafts coming up it would be nice to see him pick up some extra ammunition in order to start restocking for the next window -- especially if we can fill Copp's space from within the org with a flier like Perfetti, who would now be relatively more sheltered by a much, much stronger D corps.

But I'm very happy with the job he's done this off-season. Now for the courage to lose Copp rather than overpay him, and hold out against bringing in yet another flotilla of aged plugs for the 4th line in favour of force-playing Gus, Harkins, Ves et al.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
And lets not forget he might have the most difficult GM job in the league, forever trying to persuade players to come to the smallest market, and being on virtually every no trade to list. He's had a shitty hand dealt to him numerous times but continues to win the pot!

Reactions: Jetsetter

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Plenty to agree with in this thread, and I'm a Chevy fan.

He has been quicker to spend picks than to acquire them, though, and with two loaded drafts coming up it would be nice to see him pick up some extra ammunition in order to start restocking for the next window -- especially if we can fill Copp's space from within the org with a flier like Perfetti, who would now be relatively more sheltered by a much, much stronger D corps.

But I'm very happy with the job he's done this off-season. Now for the courage to lose Copp rather than overpay him, and hold out against bringing in yet another flotilla of aged plugs for the 4th line in favour of force-playing Gus, Harkins, Ves et al.

I'd rather a cup than stocking up on draft picks this year. Our pipeline is still in the top 1/3 across the league somehow (er, 11th place apparently), we can afford to go for it. I don't think we go nuts at the TDL this year with our projected roster. Maybe a rental 2RW, that's it. No need to flip 1sts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->