In Chevy We Trust

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I believe Chevy is now the longest tenured GM not having won the Cup. Pro sports is a result oriented business and he needs to produce a Cup soon or be on the clock.
David Poile jumps to mind. He's never won the Cup and has been the only GM Nashville's ever had for 20+ years. He was also Washington's GM for 15 years before that.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I believe Chevy is now the longest tenured GM not having won the Cup. Pro sports is a result oriented business and he needs to produce a Cup soon or be on the clock.

That is irrelevant. No Canadian team has won the cup in nearly 30 years. Additionally, only 6 of 32 teams have won the Stanley Cup since 2009. There are plenty of NHL teams that have gone decades without winning the Stanley Cup, but have contended through the years.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
I had to go way back to find a post on Cheveldayoff.
My question is has anyone seen any emotional reaction from the JETS GM after a loss? No phone tossing, chair tossing, or throwing his phone at a tv? Anything?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Chevy's job includes deciding who is coaching this team. On a points % basis, we are sitting in 21st place in the league. Chevy has to decide: Did he build this 'win now' and 'spend to the cap' roster as a ~20th place team? If so, he needs to fire himself because he assembled a very expensive but weak roster. If the roster is significantly better than that (which I believe it is, and most people in hockey believe), then he needs to fire the coach for this woeful underperformance.

upload_2021-12-1_9-18-3.png

Reactions: Guerzy and Heldig

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think Chevy did good this past off-season. I do think he overpaid for Dillon but underpaid for Schmidt. So probably evens out.

for 11 years tho as Jets GM, i've been overall meh on him though.

I look at what other GMs in the league have done. Bill Zito for example, in 1 year he acquired/signed: Duclair, Carter V, Bennett, Reinhart, traded Matheson for Hornqvist, Gudas, Montour, Forsling and Nutivaara (currently injured). I think Hornqvist is the only transaction that had NTC or NMC. Additionally signed Weegar to probably one of the best contracts in the league for a Dman.

I wouldn't mind a change at the helm to someone more aggressive akin to Zito. But at the same time, this roster doesn't need large changes as far as personnel goes (well hopefully not after like 10 years of building). Idk who is in charge of the coaching staff's jobs (he or the owner(s)), but that's one "transaction" that probably needs to be handled.

Reactions: GNP

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Yeah I dunno. We seem to be stuck in the mud. We've had precious little success as far as Jets 2.0 goes. If not for that one run to the western conference final, I'd be howling for change. As it stands I'm just apathetic.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Chevy's job includes deciding who is coaching this team. On a points % basis, we are sitting in 21st place in the league. Chevy has to decide: Did he build this 'win now' and 'spend to the cap' roster as a ~20th place team? If so, he needs to fire himself because he assembled a very expensive but weak roster. If the roster is significantly better than that (which I believe it is, and most people in hockey believe), then he needs to fire the coach for this woeful underperformance.

View attachment 485922
I agree. I think Chevy has done a really good job assembling talent especially considering the challenges that come with this team. But that’s not the whole job. At the end of the day the results matter. If he isn’t willing to do the entire job it takes to win then what’s the point of assembling this talent?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Just saw Kale Clague claimed on waivers - he was one of the guys I would have picked with the two stanley picks... fine then.

Reactions: Flair Hay

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just saw Kale Clague claimed on waivers - he was one of the guys I would have picked with the two stanley picks... fine then.

I never was a Clague fan. His game was so full if risk as a junior player that I never saw it translating u less he cemetery altered it.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Winning a Cup can't be the standard for if a guy is good enough, can it? It's the goal of course.

We should be evaluating a GM on if he has what it takes to get us to that level. Not just say if you havent won a Cup after 10 years you're done. Maybe I'm in the minority here, I dunno ...

Stevie Y hasn't won a Cup as GM... he built a heck of a team that got close.

Chevy may not be a top 5 GM in the league. But he may be a top 5 GM in the world for the Winnipeg Jets?

Just something to think about. Not even saying in right. I just think we can be more intricate and contextual than evaluating based on Cups?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I agree. I think Chevy has done a really good job assembling talent especially considering the challenges that come with this team. But that’s not the whole job. At the end of the day the results matter. If he isn’t willing to do the entire job it takes to win then what’s the point of assembling this talent?

Maybe I'm too confident here. but this team is making the post-season. With or without Paul Maurice. It's up to the players and Maurice to decide if he is a part of it down the stretch.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Winning a Cup can't be the standard for if a guy is good enough, can it? It's the goal of course.

We should be evaluating a GM on if he has what it takes to get us to that level. Not just say if you havent won a Cup after 10 years you're done. Maybe I'm in the minority here, I dunno ...

Stevie Y hasn't won a Cup as GM... he built a heck of a team that got close.

Chevy may not be a top 5 GM in the league. But he may be a top 5 GM in the world for the Winnipeg Jets?

Just something to think about. Not even saying in right. I just think we can be more intricate and contextual than evaluating based on Cups?
Would be interesting to see how many GMs and coaches have lasted as long as Chevy and mo without a cup final appearance

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Would be interesting to see how many GMs and coaches have lasted as long as Chevy and mo without a cup final appearance

Where is the cutoff to define "successful" ?

Is it judged on team results? Is Cup finalist the line? Final four? Multiple final four appearances?

Or is it the process of hundreds of small and big decisions a GM makes that they should be judged on? Have they learned from mistakes and gotten better?

This isnt to say with certainty that Chevy passes all these criteria. I'm asking, do we judge a GM on what they can control, or the on-ice result?

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg

View attachment 485922
It couldnt be any more obvious if you ask me.

Now season ticket holders are speaking up; bless their hearts.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Maybe I'm too confident here. but this team is making the post-season. With or without Paul Maurice. It's up to the players and Maurice to decide if he is a part of it down the stretch.
I agree. I think this team has the talent to be a contender. I think individually the top 9 of this team has shown to be great at times, often at different times. They just need to come together more consistently.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Where is the cutoff to define "successful" ?

Is it judged on team results? Is Cup finalist the line? Final four? Multiple final four appearances?

Or is it the process of hundreds of small and big decisions a GM makes that they should be judged on? Have they learned from mistakes and gotten better?

This isnt to say with certainty that Chevy passes all these criteria. I'm asking, do we judge a GM on what they can control, or the on-ice result?
The GM is tasked with controlling who is hired as a coach and how the team is built - so yes.

Chevy has done a very good job - I wouldn’t fire him or anything but I’d like to see thenlongevity of other GMs who are not consistent winners

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The GM is tasked with controlling who is hired as a coach and how the team is built - so yes.

Chevy has done a very good job - I wouldn’t fire him or anything but I’d like to see thenlongevity of other GMs who are not consistent winners

Poile has been GM in Nashville since 1998 and they have made just one cup finals in that tenure.
Wilson has been GM in San Jose since 2003 and they also have just made on cup finals appearance
Jim Nill GM of Dallas stars since 2013 and one cup appearance
Joe Sakic GM of Dallas since 2o13 - Exciting team but has not made it past round 2

I think Chevy fits in pretty well with the first two GMs on that list where he built his team predominantly through none lottery picks at the draft and made trades when needed. We have have had pretty similar results to all of those GMs on that list. So there are a number of real long term GMs of teams that perform well but don't win it all.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
i think Chevy did good this past off-season. I do think he overpaid for Dillon but underpaid for Schmidt. So probably evens out.

for 11 years tho as Jets GM, i've been overall meh on him though.

I look at what other GMs in the league have done. Bill Zito for example, in 1 year he acquired/signed: Duclair, Carter V, Bennett, Reinhart, traded Matheson for Hornqvist, Gudas, Montour, Forsling and Nutivaara (currently injured). I think Hornqvist is the only transaction that had NTC or NMC. Additionally signed Weegar to probably one of the best contracts in the league for a Dman.

I wouldn't mind a change at the helm to someone more aggressive akin to Zito. But at the same time, this roster doesn't need large changes as far as personnel goes (well hopefully not after like 10 years of building). Idk who is in charge of the coaching staff's jobs (he or the owner(s)), but that's one "transaction" that probably needs to be handled.
Some valid points there. I personally am pleased with the job Chevy has done...... although he owes a few steak dinners to his amateur and pro scouts ;)

His fatal flaw may be his patience or procrastination depending on how you look at. He sat on the Bogo and Kane situations too long. Same can be said with Copp, Buff, Frolik and many more. All of those could have been handled much better.

Maurice and Huddy should have been gone years ago......and those are just the high profile off ice staff who have been chronic underperformers. I'm sure there are more.

Reactions: WaveRaven

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I personally like the job that Chevy has done acquiring the talent he has, on reasonable contracts - except for Wheelers, as it's way to high.

If there's one "flaw" in Chevy it's that he has to much of strong emotional ties to guys he likes -- like Paul Maurice. A GM that's in it to win, and win only, would have let Maurice walk before his last contract extension.

I don't know how much of a say Chipman has in this area, but I think it's quite a lot, and he may like Maurice, and wants him with the organization ? It's hard to tell. There has to come a time when you've given your Coach a strong contending team, and ample time to produce, for Chevy to say good bye, and thanks for your service, and move on and hire a new coach. ( that is if he can ? - there is Chipman as well ?)

I do question if Chevy or Chipman will ever get to that point with Maurice, no matter how much the team struggles.

One thing "for sure" will bring about change, and that's if the arena is only half full, for most home games, and the Jets season ticket holders are sending a strong message. At this point we'll see change. Money talks $$$.

Reactions: Channelcat

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
what's the temperature on chevy these days? we got a coaching change, not enough GP to evaluate imo. we'll see how his roster plays under D. Lowry for rest of the year.

but to-date id say the team has underperformed. covid, injuries have put a wrench into things for sure, but this is not something unique to the Jets. Every team is going through it.

Defensively still rating quite bad even w/ Chevy's big additions. Bottom-6 still unproductive too.

Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad