Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Clearly if you shrink the seats and leg room fans will complain. Not well thought out IMO.

The seats have more of a cushion than last season. I am not uncomfortable unless a large person sits next to me and takes up part of my space. Even men who have large shoulders (not their fault) take up space in the seat next to them.

Nothing will be done. I enjoy the games so I am going anyway...for now.

Your last paragraph sort of answers the concerns of your first.

Reactions: Strafer

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
As a whole, yes. However, they changed the seating layout of the entire arena...not just replacing seats...in one summer I believe. That is ultimately what I am referring to.
And a few more months to do it since neither the Rangers or Knicks were in the playoffs I believe. I could have the years wrong but it was still more time to do it with neither of them going deep into the playoffs.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yes, it is nice that he speaks. And I do believe they want to win. And, I think with the fact that there is a salary cap and they make plenty of money, it's nice that they are willing to invest the maximum allowed amount on the team.

From all I can tell, the organization treats its players great and that is very important for being able to put a good product on the ice. That I do appreciate. But there is certainly room to complain about other things even if it is not going to change.

If it doesn't much matter to certain people, it's easy to go the "stop crying and don't go" route. But every now and then I like to express my disappointment in certain aspects/realities of all of this and I don't see much wrong with that. I feel like I am just being ignorant otherwise.

Absolutely! Everyone should have a say with what they like and don't like, but the cold reality is, it's a business and we all have the choice to go or not to go. As @BrainOfJ astutely pointed out (not sure if it was in this thread or not) everyone is competing for the entertainment dollar and these days there's more options than ever

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
And a few more months to do it since neither the Rangers or Knicks were in the playoffs I believe. I could have the years wrong but it was still more time to do it with neither of them going deep into the playoffs.

I believe you are correct.

Perhaps I should leave it at that I am surprised how little visual progress has been made on it. Must be a lot more than meets the eye (perhaps).

For the record, even if I won’t be able to afford it, I don’t blame them for getting after a renovation at that level. The 9th floor was wasting away in regards to overall fan experience, whether you are a low or high roller.

Reactions: Strafer

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Absolutely! Everyone should have a say with what they like and don't like, but the cold reality is, it's a business and we all have the choice to go or not to go. As @BrainOfJ astutely pointed out (not sure if it was in this thread or not) everyone is competing for the entertainment dollar and these days there's more options than ever

No doubt. I actually responded to that post saying how much I appreciated that perspective.

It is just hard to accept that I can’t justify spending what is asked to root for my favorite team live. I find it legitimately sad for myself and the other fans who have had this team in their hearts basically since birth.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
No doubt. I actually responded to that post saying how much I appreciated that perspective.

It is just hard to accept that I can’t justify spending what is asked to root for my favorite team live. I find it legitimately sad for myself and the other fans who have had this team in their hearts basically since birth.
It is very sad. I have ST but spend way more than I should. Many STH have been priced out and either gave up their seats or sell most games.

It is a better experience for fans AND the team if the die hard hockey fans can attend.

I hope to retire in the next couple of years and will have to sell more games or give up the seats. Already my sis and I are selling more games as the price is too high. I feel lucky I can go though so it is what it is

I get it...They can charge more and the corporate folks will buy a new B's jersey and attend a game. These folks can spend more $$ on tickets, food, drink and merchandise so good for the Jacobs. It just was more enjoyable when the hockey fans were there...wearing their older B's stuff from years ago and sometimes bringing their kids to expose them to a NHL game.

I am old and cranky so thinking about this makes me miserable. I do feel lucky that I have been able to go to games over the last 17 years.

If I win the lottery I will buy a block of seats for the HF folks. Wouldn't we have fun ???

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Can't argue that point for sure. I can see both sides as it gets harder for the average fan to justify going to a game and what these franchises face having to keep filling the buildings

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It is very sad. I have ST but spend way more than I should. Many STH have been priced out and either gave up their seats or sell most games.

It is a better experience for fans AND the team if the die hard hockey fans can attend.

I hope to retire in the next couple of years and will have to sell more games or give up the seats. Already my sis and I are selling more games as the price is too high. I feel lucky I can go though so it is what it is

I get it...They can charge more and the corporate folks will buy a new B's jersey and attend a game. These folks can spend more $$ on tickets, food, drink and merchandise so good for the Jacobs. It just was more enjoyable when the hockey fans were there...wearing their older B's stuff from years ago and sometimes bringing their kids to expose them to a NHL game.

I am old and cranky so thinking about this makes me miserable. I do feel lucky that I have been able to go to games over the last 17 years.

If I win the lottery I will buy a block of seats for the HF folks. Wouldn't we have fun ???

I've told this story before, but in the really old days, my dad and about 30 or so others used have a whole section that they sat in and never bought season tickets. They would buy them per game at the box office that night and the seats would always be there and the same group of guys were always there. He would take either me or my sister when he got wind that a seat would be available that night, so we both got to go to a lot of games in the mid 60's.

My father's lament?

They got that Bobby Orr kid and finally won the damned Stanley Cup!

That meant new fans (which really pissed him and those guys off) and they had to buy season tickets to keep their seats. He didn't go much after that. He was more than content to watch on TV

Reactions: Strafer and Ladyfan

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A lot of work was put into places less traveled by the way. They completely overhauled the first floor entrances and exits. Pretty sure they did a ton of work to the suites and all the corridors to/from. I don’t visit the suite levels often enough to really notice it though.

Not saying that they have or haven’t made enough progress, but they did do a lot of work that the average guest won’t recognize.

Reactions: Chief Nine

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008

The Red Sox are finally about to price me out after 30 years as a STH. I'm holding on to my B's ST for a few more years hoping that there is a couple of more Cup runs with the current core. We know that Bruins have been raising prices at an excessive rate the last few years so I eventually expect to be price out by them also.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The Red Sox are finally about to price me out after 30 years as a STH. I'm holding on to my B's ST for a few more years hoping that there is a couple of more Cup runs with the current core. We know that Bruins have been raising prices at an excessive rate the last few years so I eventually expect to be price out by them also.
I want to retire and it will be too much for me. I am sorry you will lose your Red Sox tickets. My sister (who goes with me to the B's) and her husband go to a bunch of games at Fenway.

I used to go to pretty much every game but will in the next few years will sell more or give them up.

member 96824

I thought more about this and there's another interesting aspect to it as well. I'm putting business sales aside and just looking at individual consumers, and within that I'm talking about the normal every day person, not the type that's checking hockey message boards every day like you or me.

It's a luxury to be able to go to hockey games, let alone own season tickets. Luxury businesses are highly cyclical by nature. The economy goes south...you're cutting Bruins games before you cut Netflix before you cut retirement savings before you cut food(oversimplified but you get what I mean). If you're still going, maybe you're buying one less beer, not hitting the pro shop, etc. which squeezes on the value of each individual attendee.

So at the top of a business cycle, the team needs to squeeze as much as they can so they can handle when the economy isn't going so well.

It makes sense, something that every business has to deal with, whatever that's fine.

BUT within that, the franchise also has its own cycle. The team needs to be good, otherwise butts are not going into seats and merch is not selling. Core's age, rebuild, retool, etc.

Good team + Good economy = swimming in cash flow
Good Team + Bad Economy = Seats may be fullish. Merch not doing as well, concessions not doing as well. (Think 2008-09 Bruins). Consumer more than likely is watching on TV to save a nickel.
Bad Team + Good Economy = Can't generate enough demand to raise season ticket prices, fill seats, etc. Also losing the TV customer and playoff revenue (See 2018-19 Rangers)

This is all in theory, I don't have real numbers to back it up because Delaware North is private and attendance figures get wildly inflated. It's certainly a job I'm not jealous of, but I can definitely see why when you hit both a good economy and a good team like the Bruins have right now, you maximize that revenue.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I thought more about this and there's another interesting aspect to it as well. I'm putting business sales aside and just looking at individual consumers, and within that I'm talking about the normal every day person, not the type that's checking hockey message boards every day like you or me.

It's a luxury to be able to go to hockey games, let alone own season tickets. Luxury businesses are highly cyclical by nature. The economy goes south...you're cutting Bruins games before you cut Netflix before you cut retirement savings before you cut food(oversimplified but you get what I mean). If you're still going, maybe you're buying one less beer, not hitting the pro shop, etc. which squeezes on the value of each individual attendee.

So at the top of a business cycle, the team needs to squeeze as much as they can so they can handle when the economy isn't going so well.

It makes sense, something that every business has to deal with, whatever that's fine.

BUT within that, the franchise also has its own cycle. The team needs to be good, otherwise butts are not going into seats and merch is not selling. Core's age, rebuild, retool, etc.

Good team + Good economy = swimming in cash flow
Good Team + Bad Economy = Seats may be fullish. Merch not doing as well, concessions not doing as well. (Think 2008-09 Bruins). Consumer more than likely is watching on TV to save a nickel.
Bad Team + Good Economy = Can't generate enough demand to raise season ticket prices, fill seats, etc. Also losing the TV customer and playoff revenue (See 2018-19 Rangers)

This is all in theory, I don't have real numbers to back it up because Delaware North is private and attendance figures get wildly inflated. It's certainly a job I'm not jealous of, but I can definitely see why when you hit both a good economy and a good team like the Bruins have right now, you maximize that revenue.

Dead on again. It's the old "make hay while the sun shines" adage that rings true. Any good business does it when they can and when things get lean, that's when the pencils get sharpened

Reactions: BMC

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I like going and try to keep costs down and spend as little as possible. Will hit a few alone and not drink won’t be a social outing last minute since I live next to the train.

I miss having season tickets sure but not having them is better. My seats in what was Loge 22 rip it no longer exists we’re 357 per for the Carolina series. Lol f that.

I’ve also picked GREAT games to attend now I only go 8 or so regular season games a year they’re never the snoozers. Going last minute because your season tickets haven’t sold and you gotta take pennies on the dollar was horrible.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I like going and try to keep costs down and spend as little as possible. Will hit a few alone and not drink won’t be a social outing last minute since I live next to the train.

I miss having season tickets sure but not having them is better. My seats in what was Loge 22 rip it no longer exists we’re 357 per for the Carolina series. Lol f that.

I’ve also picked GREAT games to attend now I only go 8 or so regular season games a year they’re never the snoozers. Going last minute because your season tickets haven’t sold and you gotta take pennies on the dollar was horrible.

Hey...you were in my section ! 22 is now 21....

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I wonder if that was the response Charlie gave the people that have emailed him to complain?

I think you have a future in customer service or public relations.

Thanks but i'm to busy running my company and plan on retiring in 2020

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

we would all spend the whole games arguing about Krug and Bjork and Senyshyn and Cehlarik.

Reactions: BMC

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
The new seats issue made it on today's WBZ TV newscast. Garden response basically says new seats get used to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
The never ending saga of the Bruins......they can build a strong on -ice product but somehow still manage to frustrate their fan base.

The last ten years have been a great run ...and the future looks bright. That said Bs management hasn't been able to build effective off-ice management and what should be a mutual love affair is an acrimonious marriage of convenience

From my history with the bruins my guess is there are two reasons

1- a clear and all encompassing focus on squeezing out every dollar of profit

2- a hiring strategy that's prioritizes candidate affordability over talent

Someday the on-ice performance will take a dip and there won't be much fan capital that has been built up. I see a clear path thru 2024 ( the 100th anniversary) after that I expect a return to the dark days of 2005/2006

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad