Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
View attachment 258883

Perhaps most notably, ArcLight will be a commercial-free environment. That means that unlike other big cinema chains in the area — where moviegoers can reliably walk into a theater 15 minutes after the time listed on their ticket and still catch the opening credits — ArcLight will show no pre-trailer commercials and only three coming attractions, with movies starting only a few minutes after the advertised showtime.

Praise Jeebus. AMC advertises on their app that they show 20 minutes of trailers. I timed it, and it frequently bleeds into the 25-minute range, which is why I'm thankful for advanced reservations. Pick my seat a day in advance, and arrive promptly at 7:15 for the 7 PM movie.

I'll never understand the oohing and aahing at trailers. In fact, I generally want to avoid them at all cost - I can usually osmose what I need to know during a 30-second commercial. I don't want to hear all the good jokes and plotlines.

As for the pre-trailer commercials? Sorry, Maria. Please shut up and go away. If the kiddies want to play Space Invaders, there's an arcade game in the lobby, or their iPhone - we don't need those silly on-screen games.

Reactions: Strafer and Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Praise Jeebus. AMC advertises on their app that they show 20 minutes of trailers. I timed it, and it frequently bleeds into the 25-minute range, which is why I'm thankful for advanced reservations. Pick my seat a day in advance, and arrive promptly at 7:15 for the 7 PM movie.

I'll never understand the oohing and aahing at trailers. In fact, I generally want to avoid them at all cost - I can usually osmose what I need to know during a 30-second commercial. I don't want to hear all the good jokes and plotlines.

As for the pre-trailer commercials? Sorry, Maria. Please shut up and go away. If the kiddies want to play Space Invaders, there's an arcade game in the lobby, or their iPhone - we don't need those silly on-screen games.

I remember a couple of trailers in the early '90s - both involving Harrison Ford

I was at Assembly Sq ( I believe for Jurassic Park) when they ran a trailer for

When Tommy Lee Jones said the fugitive is Dr. Richard Kimball the theater went NUTS.

On the other hand, I remember seeing a trailer for a movie that told the entire plot

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I remember a couple of trailers in the early '90s - both involving Harrison Ford

I was at Assembly Sq ( I believe for Jurassic Park) when they ran a trailer for

When Tommy Lee Jones said the fugitive is Dr. Richard Kimball the theater went NUTS.

On the other hand, I remember seeing a trailer for a movie that told the entire plot

Let's be honest - Going to a movie theater today to me has the same appeal as going to a mall.

Many of us have flat screens that can come close to duplicating the feel of seeing it on the big screen. 25 years ago you could see movies on HBO a few months after they were released but it wasn't close to the experience of seeing it in a theater - but if you are of a certain age this intro excited you back in the day

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I haven't been to a movie theater in at least a couple years. I much prefer the comfort of my own home. There's not many movies I care to see these days, anyway.

As far as attending games....I like to go, but I usually only make it to one game a year.

The best seats I've had at Bridgestone were in the last row of the lower bowl behind one of the nets. There was standing room just behind us so you could get up and move around pretty freely. No idea if it's still that way, that was probably six years ago.

Nashville has decent concessions but trying to eat anything more complicated than a basic hot dog at your seat is nigh unto impossible, especially once the game gets started. Side note, this year Nashville has five games in which food and soda are all 50% off. :eek:

I'd love to see a game at TD Garden just to be surrounded by people rooting for the same team as me, for once. :laugh:

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nashville has decent concessions but trying to eat anything more complicated than a basic hot dog at your seat is nigh unto impossible, especially once the game gets started. Side note, this year Nashville has five games in which food and soda are all 50% off. :eek:

I'd love to see a game at TD Garden just to be surrounded by people rooting for the same team as me, for once. :laugh:

Oddly enough guess who has the concessions there

Bridgestone Arena | NHL Nashville Predators

Delaware North has been the concessions and retail partner at Bridgestone Arena since 1996.

Newbie10

Jan 9, 2010
Article about the sizes of the seats ..

What’s going on with TD Garden seats, Jacobs ownership of Bruins

The $100 million expansion and improvement of TD Garden is still in progress, but already there have been some complaints about the renovated seating areas.
Throughout the Bruins’ three preseason games several complaints rang out on social media about a reduction in leg room and a shrinking of the seats.
Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs has heard some of the criticisms, but is waiting to see what the response will be when the regular season starts before formulating a plan to address the issue.
The Bruins play their first home game Oct. 12 after a four-game road trip to open the regular season.
“I’m sure we’re going to hear some more about it,” Jacobs said Tuesday. “Listen, those are the standards that are across the league. It’s not like we sort of made it up arbitrarily and this is the size of the seat. Those are across the National Hockey League and NBA. But yeah, I’ve heard some of the feedback, I personally got some email about it already, it’s early days, so I’m sure there’s a lot more coming once the season ticket holders – those that may have skipped our preseason games – show up.
“I don’t have a program yet to address those issues. There may have to be some fixes involved. I’m not sure we can do those overnight.”

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

The $100 million expansion and improvement of TD Garden is still in progress, but already there have been some complaints about the renovated seating areas.
Throughout the Bruins’ three preseason games several complaints rang out on social media about a reduction in leg room and a shrinking of the seats.
Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs has heard some of the criticisms, but is waiting to see what the response will be when the regular season starts before formulating a plan to address the issue.
The Bruins play their first home game Oct. 12 after a four-game road trip to open the regular season.
“I’m sure we’re going to hear some more about it,” Jacobs said Tuesday. “Listen, those are the standards that are across the league. It’s not like we sort of made it up arbitrarily and this is the size of the seat. Those are across the National Hockey League and NBA. But yeah, I’ve heard some of the feedback, I personally got some email about it already, it’s early days, so I’m sure there’s a lot more coming once the season ticket holders – those that may have skipped our preseason games – show up.
“I don’t have a program yet to address those issues. There may have to be some fixes involved. I’m not sure we can do those overnight.”

That's great Charlie, but your customers pay more than most of the NHL to attend games and eat those home cooked meatballs. He sounds like he really gives a $%^#...

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It blows my mind that anyone gets surprised by these letdowns in supposed “upgrades”.

It’s an upgrade for the organization making money, not the fan experience. The marketing of big business to the public rarely, if ever, has any connection to reality. It’s a facade.

This is all expected to me. What irks me most is that Jack and Brick have been instructed to advertise on behalf of all of this multiple times a game.

Seems like they took the low bid on the arena upgrades too. As mentioned before, how has so little progress been made over the summer? MSG completely transforms itself in one summer and the Garden gets through the summer with the same ice plant and seemingly less than half completed 9th floor. Relative to other arena projects, this seriously is not that much work. It should have been done if proper resources and money was dedicated.

In small business, we always hear about “underpromising and overdelivering”. Crazy how you can do the exact opposite once you get big and powerful enough and leave people no alternative. If you want to see your favorite team play live, this is your choice with no alternative.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
That's great Charlie, but your customers pay more than most of the NHL to attend games and eat those home cooked meatballs. He sounds like he really gives a $%^#...

He does not give a f***.

Here’s the actual plan:

1. Acknowledge criticism

2. Deflect (already begun with saying it’s “standard” across the NBA and NHL and how’s it not their season ticket holders complaining...a f***ing blatant lie on the latter)

3. Let people realize nothing will be done and wait for vocal critics to quiet down

4. Profit

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
It blows my mind that anyone gets surprised by these letdowns in supposed “upgrades”.

It’s an upgrade for the organization making money, not the fan experience. The marketing of big business to the public rarely, if ever, has any connection to reality. It’s a facade.

This is all expected to me. What irks me most is that Jack and Brick have been instructed to advertise on behalf of all of this multiple times a game.

Seems like they took the low bid on the arena upgrades too. As mentioned before, how has so little progress been made over the summer? MSG completely transforms itself in one summer and the Garden gets through the summer with the same ice plant and seemingly less than half completed 9th floor. Relative to other arena projects, this seriously is not that much work. It should have been done if proper resources and money was dedicated.

In small business, we always hear about “underpromising and overdelivering”. Crazy how you can do the exact opposite once you get big and powerful enough and leave people no alternative. If you want to see your favorite team play live, this is your choice with no alternative.

They had plenty of time in NY for renovations...

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Supply & demand...................................

Rather than crying about it stay the * home. No One is holding a gun to their heads to pony up the cash. JUST STAY HOME and watch the games on TV.

I get a massage from my chair for free if I want, and there is no line at my bathroom

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
They definitely had some more time. They also completely changed the layout of the entire arena. The TD renovations don't even come close to those in terms of scale.

True, but Madison Sq Garden is a much older building too. I'm just not as skeptical about everything the Jacobs family does is purely motivated by naked greed. They're business people and they are trying to maximize their investments like any other business does. That said, I do believe they have made major strides with their public perception since the old man took over way back when he was a shadowy guy who never addressed anything. They've made some big improvements there

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Supply & demand...................................

Yup.

I didn't go to a game last year for probably the first time in 35 years. I won't be going this year either.

I just picked up 6 tickets for the baby Bruins for $80, so the son and I can still get our live hockey fix and I won't be stressed over the how much money I spent...

I guess I've officially hit old cranky &^%$ territory, but I'll just watch on tv and not feel dirty about giving those people my hard earned cash.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Rather than crying about it stay the * home. No One is holding a gun to their heads to pony up the cash. JUST STAY HOME and watch the games on TV.

I get a massage from my chair for free if I want, and there is no line at my bathroom

It's disappointing, and worth expressing to some people, that their favorite team is entirely engulfed within a big business that prices out the majority of actual fans.

It is reality. But, I find it a rather minor offense to express dismay at this reality. Is it going to "get us anywhere"? No. But then again, neither is pretty much anything else we argue about on this board.

We've heard about these great improvements all summer, and when they predictably don't come to be, we get one out of every ten posts saying "stop crying and get over it". Eh, I'd like the room to complain every now and then honestly. Seems like a justifiable endeavor.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
True, but Madison Sq Garden is a much older building too. I'm just not as skeptical about everything the Jacobs family does is purely motivated by naked greed. They're business people and they are trying to maximize their investments like any other business does. That said, I do believe they have made major strides with their public perception since the old man took over way back when he was a shadowy guy who never addressed anything. They've made some big improvements there

Yes, it is nice that he speaks. And I do believe they want to win. And, I think with the fact that there is a salary cap and they make plenty of money, it's nice that they are willing to invest the maximum allowed amount on the team.

From all I can tell, the organization treats its players great and that is very important for being able to put a good product on the ice. That I do appreciate. But there is certainly room to complain about other things even if it is not going to change.

If it doesn't much matter to certain people, it's easy to go the "stop crying and don't go" route. But every now and then I like to express my disappointment in certain aspects/realities of all of this and I don't see much wrong with that. I feel like I am just being ignorant otherwise.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

I wonder if that was the response Charlie gave the people that have emailed him to complain?

I think you have a future in customer service or public relations.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Clearly if you shrink the seats and leg room fans will complain. Not well thought out IMO.

The seats have more of a cushion than last season. I am not uncomfortable unless a large person sits next to me and takes up part of my space. Even men who have large shoulders (not their fault) take up space in the seat next to them.

Nothing will be done. I enjoy the games so I am going anyway...for now.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

The MSG renovation took 3 years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad