Improvements to North Station and TD Garden taking shape

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The NESN between periods puff piece didn't mention the smaller seats, just all the great 'upgrades'.

Not sure why the Bruins seem to be getting a pass on this.

Reactions: Strafer

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
How many preseason games have they had at the Garden? Surprised this hasn't been a bigger story. Is the legroom like that in all sections or just certain areas? From the photos there is literally zero chance anyone can get by.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The NESN between periods puff piece didn't mention the smaller seats, just all the great 'upgrades'.

Not sure why the Bruins seem to be getting a pass on this.

I'm sure. It's definitely all about "access". NESN or the Globe starts airing "fans unhappy about new seats" pieces, and suddenly the post-practice interviews become a lot shorter and a lot more rare. It was the same deal when they increased seat prices for STHs this year with the biggest hike in the last 3-4 years. They touted "small $1 increases" or a total increase freeze the last few years, and it was all over the papers. This March, nothing when the new prices were botched with a small raise and then subsequently re-raised to their current astronomical level.

How many preseason games have they had at the Garden? Surprised this hasn't been a bigger story. Is the legroom like that in all sections or just certain areas? From the photos there is literally zero chance anyone can get by.

Can't speak for everywhere, but they've definitely NOT increased seat size. That would mean decreasing the number of seats. At best, the new seats are close to the old size. At worse, they're smaller. I think in my balcony section, the front two rows are about the same - I don't think the number of seats increased, and the seats look different and bigger than in all the other rows. There have been three preseason games - but maybe we'll get attention when the first game comes in a couple of weeks. Preseason games, you don't have to sit next to a neighbor. Regular season, it's sardine time.

I'd be satisfied if Jeremy Jacobs and his six spawn walked up one of the side entrances to get into the Garden, walked up the side stairwell to the seventh level, and then walked up to the 15th row, and each of them sat between a selection of 7 Bruins for 30 minutes. Doesn't matter which ones - I'll spot them a Krug and a Marchand, and they don't have to wear hockey gear.

Reactions: Strafer and Fenway

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I have an older friend who went yesterday and he said Spirit Airlines has more legroom. :help:

I just saw a picture of the leg room. You've got to be f***ing kidding me. What were they thinking? Their "upgrades/renovations" clearly aren't upgrades, at least seat wise. I was going to drop some coin to go opening night, but I think I'll pass now.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Gonna be absolute chaos in the stands. You'll have fights, spills, people falling, long delays of people standing up, people having to leave the row to let someone in. I will gladly stay home. I guess my only question is are all rows now like that picture or is it only certain areas?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Gonna be absolute chaos in the stands. You'll have fights, spills, people falling, long delays of people standing up, people having to leave the row to let someone in. I will gladly stay home. I guess my only question is are all rows now like that picture or is it only certain areas?

I don't go to as many games as I used to, but I like to go 3 or 4 times a year with my son. I'm not going to bother, I can go to Providence. pay $5 to park, have a great dinner, get great seats for cheap and get home quicker...

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This is why I have been choosing to sit 15th row if I can't find anything reasonably priced for 1st row balcony. Stand the whole game if you'd like and not have to worry about any leg room.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Normally I’d be a little skeptical about that Blackburn pic - not because of the source, but just because camera angles can make things larger/smaller.

However, I can say without that those pics are fairly accurate. I’m pretty short, and have short legs - whenever I’m in the backseat of a car, the guy in front can move back as far as he wants with no problem. But I did plunk myself down in the loge on Monday, and yes, that’s accurate. I could sit comfortably, but there would hav been barely enough room to stick an iPhone between my knee and the seat. Here’s my pic:

View attachment 258599

One other complaint that will be relevant come next Thursday. They’re increasing capacity, but I don’t think any increase in bathroom capacity has been made. How’s that going to work? Plus, at least on the south end of the balcony, I think they took out some of the beer carts because of ongoing renovations. Lines are going to be WAY worse. Exiting after a game will be worse, too, with probably 500-1000 more people. (Number pulled out at random, but it seems right.)

I also wonder a bit about safety. Riots tend to happen in cities during hot summers, and for a reason: hot and crowded are two ingredients to get people testy. The “hot” part is obviously not relevant, but the more crowded people get, the less forgiving they’ll be of the various minor “slings and arrows” of daily interaction.

If you’re a STH, I’d write to your rep. If you’re thinking of going to a game, find contact info and write in expressing your concerns. It won’t do anything in the short term, but I’m sure they track this kind of stuff. It might accelerate the next renovation - I don’t mean next year, but it might make them think that this is a “5-10 year thing” rather than quasi-permanent 30-year seating. It may tell them that they shouldn’t go any further in the direction they’re going.

I just asked one of the guys I work with how his seats are and he said he hasn't been yet but his dad has and he told him they were the same. They're in section 316 and they're both 6' 2" so his dad would have definitely had an issue if they were closer to the seats in front of them.

Did they do this so just some sections maybe?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I just asked one of the guys I work with how his seats are and he said he hasn't been yet but his dad has and he told him they were the same. They're in section 316 and they're both 6' 2" so his dad would have definitely had an issue if they were closer to the seats in front of them.

That's what I'm thinking but even then it's still absurd. Poor planning/execution.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Maybe some of the other 'improvements' kept them from getting all the seats done?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm guessing it could be a little more uncomfortable when people are wearing winter gear..

For sure. I usually go to a couple of games every season with my son and they're usually after Christmas and New Year, so we'll see!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Well, 316 is on the north side, and I think most of the re-configuring and renovation in both the loge and balcony sections has gone on in the south side. Also, it's a center section - maybe the in the balcony, the corners/ends got hit harder?

As far as leg room, the picture of my legs is from center loge - to me, the leg room in the balcony (at least in the shorter rows 3-8) isn't a problem. I honestly don't see how leg room can be a huge issue in the balconies, since it has a pretty good pitch. Not sure exactly how they made it worse in the loge - maybe "ergonomic" design of the seat, and all that kooshy padding pushing people forward?

I understand why they changed the seating. Let's face it - the Garden has "sold out", at least on paper, for years. That means that there's a high probability that they're leaving money on the table from people who "can't get tickets" - whether they actually show up to the Garden is immeterial. They can make money by doing either one of two things: decreasing demand (raising prices), or increasing supply (more seats). They chose the latter, and they're polishing the turd.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
That means that there's a high probability that they're leaving money on the table from people who "can't get tickets" - whether they actually show up to the Garden is immeterial.

Unless, of course, you own and operate all concessions, etc in the building........then you want a packed house every day/night. :)

Reactions: talkinaway

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
My wife and I chaperone disabled adults to games usually once or twice a year. From what I'be heard, so far the organization has no plans to buy tickets from now on. Don't get me wrong, the seats that we've gotten have always been too tight and last year one of our people (while squeezing down the isle) spilled a drink on a guy who was about to start throwing punches until he realized that the person who spilled it has motor skills and other problems. The seats were atrocious before but now? Forget it! Personally I don't like crowds or being stuck in tiny seats when I have a big screen, drinks, food etc at home. I honestly only went to back up my wife and the other chaperone but now, thank God I get to sit in my favorite seat at home.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Sounds like a case of narrow hips.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
One thing is becoming apparent - NOBODY is posting that they like the new seating arrangement
I sold my sister's seat yesterday because she was at the Sox game. I got less that I paid for it (which is normal for pre season). I didn't know who bought the seat next to me....I saw a BIG guy coming down and I thought please NO...Yep he was really tall and really wide.

I think the seats are comfortable enough but if you have someone big next to you they take up your space which I hate.

Even guys with big shoulders crowd my space (not their fault). People with long legs are squished.

I feel bad for the equipment guys. The rolling rack used for the sticks no longer fits in the tunnel so they have to line the sticks up and it is awkward for them. It was not well thought out for sure.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about any of it so bring on the season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-9-30_18-14-6.png

ArcLight Cinemas is a new movie theater coming to Boston this fall | Boston.com

Tired of showing up to a movie and sitting through countless advertisements, annoying chatter, and incessant cell phone use? ArcLight Cinemas feels your pain.

The Los Angeles-based movie theater company is set to open a new 15-theater cinema at Hub on Causeway near TD Garden and North Station in late November, which will feature extra-wide reserved seating, top-quality projection and sound systems, and a 65-seat bar and lounge where you can enjoy a full range of food and drink options.

ArcLight, which opened its first cinema in Los Angeles in 2002, was one of the early pioneers in providing a premium movie experience. Amenities that have grown more popular in recent years — including comfortable chairs, high-end concession options, and reserved seating — have been a mainstay at ArcLight since the beginning.

Vince Szwajkowski, the chief marketing officer at ArcLight, said the company focuses on providing a “black box” experience in the theater.

“We use popcorn tubs instead of bags,” Szwajkowski said, listing off some of ArcLight’s enhancements. “All of our competitors use bags, but bags make noise. We don’t allow late seating, because we don’t want someone stepping on your toes or interrupting your moviegoing experience. We have a crew member giving people information about the movie and the runtime before it starts. We’re very adamant about no talking and no texting, and that crew member stays behind for a few minutes to make sure everyone follows the rules.”

Perhaps most notably, ArcLight will be a commercial-free environment. That means that unlike other big cinema chains in the area — where moviegoers can reliably walk into a theater 15 minutes after the time listed on their ticket and still catch the opening credits — ArcLight will show no pre-trailer commercials and only three coming attractions, with movies starting only a few minutes after the advertised showtime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad