"I'm not going to be a coach that protects a tie in overtime" Martin St. louis

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Absolutely. I like the Habs but I despite Bergevin even more.

We're still being haunted by his moves. We saw how flukey that run was. And if not for covid, it would have been 5 (6?) Seasons with no playoffs.
As we saw the run ended up hurting us even more. We would have had 3 first round picks this year for example.

This is really, really bizarre.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Absolutely. I like the Habs but I despite Bergevin even more.

We're still being haunted by his moves. We saw how flukey that run was. And if not for covid, it would have been 5 (6?) Seasons with no playoffs.
As we saw the run ended up hurting us even more. We would have had 3 first round picks this year for example.

Are you really complaining about a cup finals due to circumstantial luck from Covid? You really must hate Bergevin. If you think reaching a cup finals is a fluke under any circumstance, I don't know what to tell you. Reaching a cup finals is not a fluke! It's not a single game elimination tournament. If it was, I'd agree with you on the "fluke" narrative. Your hate for Bergevin is a massive disrespect to what the players accomplished.

You're only looking it with hate glasses on. Without Bergevin's moves, we don't have Suzuki and we don't get an unprotected first for Chiarot cause lets face it, the Chiarot signing was considered another Alzner contract. And many who hate Bergevin also likely thought Lehkonen sucked. Toffoli signing and then trade? Anderson for Domi? Come on man

But yeah, there is that Gallagher contract. My advise? Try to be neutral cause for as much as you think we are haunted by Bergevin, there are other parts that we have that are golden. Suzuki is one and we have guys like Dvorak, Eddy, Savard, Armia, Byron, Hoffman who can be and will be moved before their contracts expire for even more futures.

Don't tell me you rather have what the Coyotes have cause that's basically what you are saying... You rather have nothing and the new GM starts from scratch? :laugh:. Some of the players we have from Bergevin are going to help us get even more futures. Yeah, he had flaws but avoid the exaggeration. Our prospect pool is very solid and HuGo are going to make it even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schooner Guy

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I don't like Bergevin but this is false. He wanted Reilly and deferred to his head scout here because he hadn't been around long.
That is just rehashed BS. Just because he said it doesn't make it true. Good grief we all can play that game. Don't believe it, step away from the coolaid.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's bizarre is people defending anything Bergevin did. That clown set back the franchise 5-6 years. When was the last time we even made the playoffs in a normal year? I refused to cheer for anything this dude was associated with. It's simple.

I don't think it's defending "anything" he did. It's looking at each move and liking some and not liking others. You like to think it's defending everything but that's false! But hey, you are hating everything so I get where you are coming from cause you wan it to be a line in the sand where you either like or hate him. It don't have to be that way

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is just rehashed BS. Just because he said it doesn't make it true. Good grief we all can play that game. Don't believe it, step away from the coolaid.

A large % of our fan base has learned to avoid the line in the sand where you either like or hate him. That's smart cause some of his moves were very good and some where very bad.

There are always some who are late to the party I guess. It don't have to be pro Bergevin or anti Bergevin. That was always the problem

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What's bizarre is people defending anything Bergevin did. That clown set back the franchise 5-6 years. When was the last time we even made the playoffs in a normal year? I refused to cheer for anything this dude was associated with. It's simple.

Yeah, that what is super weird about it. Like, this isn't even fandom. Your team goes to the freaking finals and you won't cheer because of Bergevin? Bergevin was largely trash but how can you even call a fan yourself at that point? :laugh:

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Are you really complaining about a cup finals due to circumstantial luck from Covid? You really must hate Bergevin. If you think reaching a cup finals is a fluke under any circumstance, I don't know what to tell you. Reaching a cup finals is not a fluke! It's not a single game elimination tournament. If it was, I'd agree with you on the "fluke" narrative. Your hate for Bergevin is a massive disrespect to what the players accomplished.

You're only looking it with hate glasses on. Without Bergevin's moves, we don't have Suzuki and we don't get an unprotected first for Chiarot cause lets face it, the Chiarot signing was considered another Alzner contract. And many who hate Bergevin also likely thought Lehkonen sucked. Toffoli signing and then trade? Anderson for Domi? Come on man

But yeah, there is that Gallagher contract. My advise? Try to be neutral cause for as much as you think we are haunted by Bergevin, there are other parts that we have that are golden. Suzuki is one and we have guys like Dvorak, Eddy, Savard, Armia, Byron, Hoffman who can be and will be moved before their contracts expire for even more futures.

Don't tell me you rather have what the Coyotes have cause that's basically what you are saying... You rather have nothing and the new GM starts from scratch? :laugh:. Some of the players we have from Bergevin are going to help us get even more futures. Yeah, he had flaws but avoid the exaggeration. Our prospect pool is very solid and HuGo are going to make it even better.
Yes it was flukey because we played Canadian teams first, with no fans on top of that.

From what I've heard, the team was dominant vs Vegas so kudos to that.

Without Bergevin' move we will have Sergachev at the moment. Pacioretty for Suzuki/Tatar is a good trade but it's not a steal. Patches is a PPG guy in Vegas.
Subban-Weber is an awful trade. If you want to trade PK fine but the return has to be better.

Bottom line is Bergevin inherited a loaded team and he completely destroyed it.
When hired he had:
-Prime Carey Price
-Subban-Markov, who would become the best D-pair in the league
-3rd overall pick
-A young 35 goals scorer in Patches
-Plekanec was still effective and an ideal #2C putting up 60 pts a year.

That team was a #1C away from a being serious contender.

And look where we are now... enough said.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yes it was flukey because we played Canadian teams first, with no fans on top of that.

From what I've heard, the team was so dominant vs Vegas so kudos to that.

Without Bergevin' move we will have Sergachev at the moment. Pacioretty for Suzuki/Tatar is a good trade but it's not a steal. Patches is a PPG guy in Vegas.
Subban-Weber is an awful trade. If you want to trade PK fine but the return has to be better.

When hired he had:
-Prime Carey Price
-3rd overall pick

You don't fluke three rounds. That's an absurd take. By the way, I'm not sure why you keep rehashing Bergevin's tenure. Just about most of everyone agrees that he sucks. Nobody's arguing this point with you.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, that what is super weird about it. Like, this isn't even fandom. Your team goes to the freaking finals and you won't cheer because of Bergevin? Bergevin was largely trash but how can you even call a fan yourself at that point? :laugh:

Why would I follow a team led by a GM that has disrespected you and the fans?

You are a customer and if you are unhappy, it is your right to boycott them. Same logic here.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Why would I follow a team led by a GM that has disrespected you and the fans?

You are a customer and if you are unhappy, it is your right to boycott them. Same logic here.

You're free to do whatever you want. I mean that. Respectfully, I just think it's bizarre to take a GM that personally to the point where you won't even watch your team playing for the ultimate prize.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

From what I've heard, the team was dominant vs Vegas so kudos to that.

When hired he had:
-Prime Carey Price
-3rd overall pick

Not fluky. Circumstantual luck that we were in a different division and didn't have to go through Tampa. You don't fluke 3 playoff series wins. Sorry

Reactions: Lshap

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He’s 43 and he hasn’t played hockey for the past 2 seasons.. We can find better

If only Markov was a better communicator (maybe he is in private?).

He had a phenomenal vision of the play and if he could teach it, would be a great asset

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
How is that a fact? Means Bergevin had no balls if he was so high of Reilly, he is the GM and he should have picked the guy he wanted.

Actually, it's been reported a few times in the past that Bergy was in fact high on MR. While it's true, he could had veto'd TT, he did let his scouts make the decision, as he should given it's their job and they're the experts.

Of course, looking back, this wasn't a good decision to take AG over MR but as a manager of a team myself, he made the right decision in terms of delegating decision making to the responsible team.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not fluky. Circumstantual luck that we were in a different division and didn't have to go through Tampa. You don't fluke 3 playoff series wins. Sorry

Exactly. Were they fortunate to avoid Tampa Bay? Goddamn right they were. But they deserved their wins and it's not like they were on the receiving end of some incredibly lucky bounces or some unsustainable Halak play. They deserved full marks for their playoff wins and they were the deserving winner each time with perhaps Toronto/Montreal being a 50-50 series.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly. Were they fortunate to avoid Tampa Bay? Goddamn right they were. But they deserved their wins and it's not like they were on the receiving end of some incredibly lucky bounces or some unsustainable Halak play. They deserved full marks for their playoff wins and they were the deserving winner each time with perhaps Toronto/Montreal being a 50-50 series.

I feel that the hate for Bergevin turns into massive disrespect to the players by calling that playoff run a fuke. You don't fluke 3 playoff series wins. That's the most insane comment I have seen recently on HF boards.

Circumstantial Covid luck by playing in a different division. Not a fluke.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If only Markov was a better communicator (maybe he is in private?).

He had a phenomenal vision of the play and if he could teach it, would be a great asset
Those guys are usually not the best coach, because they sees things on the ice that you can't really teach and that normal players doesn't really sees.

Reactions: abo9

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We were all cheering and having the time of our life last spring. When it was over, we were all forced to wake up and come back into reality. No real Habs fan was cheering against our team.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Markov was somewhat of a living legend with us, he would have played some more years with us in a diminishing role. Bozovin kicks him out with 990 games played, Markov was so loyal he didn’t even wanna play for another NHL team. What a shame.
I agree 100%! This was the biggest crime of Bergevin's tenure, in my honest opinion.

We need a fan movement to get #79 recognized as the Habs legend that he is!

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Maybe he can get Markov to come back and QB. The team has some options up front, but they are really lacking a big play driver at forward and a QB on D. Suzuki and Caufield are fine but most of the other options aren't great.
I think Wideman is doing a decent job. Works well with Suzuki and Caufield and the others. They just need to be a bit more creative and the guys down low need to look for the rebound need more of a Brady Tkachuk type player down low.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The GM is responsible for the actions of those under him.

He also kept and promoted Timmins over a period of ten years.
his predecessors also promoted him for multiple years. (9)

Feels like many on this board are relentlessly dismissing anything good that's ever happened in the last 10yrs and default to excuses and coincidences and star alignment and luck and divine or paranormal intervention.....but.......De La Rose gets claimed or Mete and it's a complete meltdown and a catastrophic miss management of assets. lol

my point stands, because this was the initial debate, the suffering in the last 10yrs where minimal compared to the 94 to 07 era.....or does a 13yr span of never finishing above 3rd trump a 10yr span where we went to the ECF and SCF and multiple 100pt seasons and 1st place finishes?

Guess it all depends if you are offended by purple suits

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad