"I'm not going to be a coach that protects a tie in overtime" Martin St. louis

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Yes it was flukey because we played Canadian teams first, with no fans on top of that.

From what I've heard, the team was dominant vs Vegas so kudos to that.

Without Bergevin' move we will have Sergachev at the moment. Pacioretty for Suzuki/Tatar is a good trade but it's not a steal. Patches is a PPG guy in Vegas.
Subban-Weber is an awful trade. If you want to trade PK fine but the return has to be better.

Bottom line is Bergevin inherited a loaded team and he completely destroyed it.
When hired he had:
-Prime Carey Price
-Subban-Markov, who would become the best D-pair in the league
-3rd overall pick
-A young 35 goals scorer in Patches
-Plekanec was still effective and an ideal #2C putting up 60 pts a year.

That team was a #1C away from a being serious contender.

And look where we are now... enough said.
More like a franchise forward away... and that's hard to come by. With that said, you are right, this was a young solid core and MB had no f***ing business being the GM... that's on Molson not that inept GM.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Markov was somewhat of a living legend with us, he would have played some more years with us in a diminishing role. Bozovin kicks him out with 990 games played, Markov was so loyal he didn’t even wanna play for another NHL team. What a shame.
They way he kicked both Markov and Subban out of town was borderline criminal. If you're gonna trade them that's one thing but maximize returns and don't lie to your fans. "Get a dog" should have had him fired on the spot

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
More like a franchise forward away... and that's hard to come by. With that said, you are right, this was a young solid core and MB had no f***ing business being the GM... that's on Molson not that inept GM.

Yeah, it doesn't take just a 1C to have a chance at the cup because that can technically mean that the 30th best center gives you a shot.

But go down the list of the cup winners, and you will see pretty much all of them had at least one top end center. That was the missing ingredient to those habs teams in the mid 2010s who I think checked all the other prerequisites for contention.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
1649533306143.png

Reactions: MasterD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Under MSL...

* 12-11-4 (ranks 21st)

* 3.26 goals/game (ranks 13th)
* 3.48 goals against/game (ranks 23rd)

* 13.2% PP (ranks 30th)
* 77.4% PK (ranks 20th)

* 21.43 hits/60 (ranks 26th)
* 14.84 blocks/60 (ranks 8th)
* 13.73 giveaways/60 (ranks 32)
* 6.6 takeaways/60 (ranks 20th)

Price and MSL can't save us from this! That 13.73 giveaways/game also has a substantial gap to the 31st team as well. No wonder the players love playing with MSL, free roam to be creative and they are not dwelling on turnovers.

Reactions: GrandBison

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Under MSL...

* 12-11-4 (ranks 21st)

* 13.2% PP (ranks 30th)
* 77.4% PK (ranks 20th)

Price and MSL can't save us from this! That 13.73 giveaways/game also has a substantial gap to the 31st team as well. No wonder the players love playing with MSL, free roam to be creative and they are not dwelling on turnovers.

I'm curious to see their goals per game on an even strength basis and where that ranks post ducharme.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Dreger said on TSN last night that the Habs would love for Marty to come back, but that the timing isn’t perfect or ideal for him personally, with him having a young family and all. So basically it was implied that Marty will have a decision to make here, if he wants to make a long-term commitment.

Ultimately I’d be shocked if he doesn’t return. The relationship he’s building with some of the young players, and you just get the feeling that this is his team now. Would suck to have his tenure end prematurely.
When he was hired my initial feeling was that he'd come in and evaluate. Then shift to a front office job that focused on player development - which is what he's doing really. That sort of job would let him work remotely and keep in regular contact with players.

We've seen what Marty's coach style has accomplished and how players have reacted. If he doesn't return as coach it will be imperative to find someone that employs the same methods and style.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm curious to see their goals per game on an even strength basis and where that ranks post ducharme.

Each team has played different amount of games and NHL.com don't prorate the 5/5 goals for by game but this is how it looks... Now you got me curious to see the net difference in goals for and against (5/5). Got to do some work to get that done for all teams.

F84BF47.jpg

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
When he was hired my initial feeling was that he'd come in and evaluate. Then shift to a front office job that focused on player development - which is what he's doing really. That sort of job would let him work remotely and keep in regular contact with players.

We've seen what Marty's coach style has accomplished and how players have reacted. If he doesn't return as coach it will be imperative to find someone that employs the same methods and style.

I could have sworn that MSL said something along the lines that he's in it for the long haul when he had his opening PC.

I think the interim tag was applied by management to give them an out if things didn't go well. It was an unconventional hire, and msl did not have nhl experience to leverage a non-interim tag at the time of hire.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I actually view this as a stain on the Habs that needs to be righted, otherwise it remains. It was disgraceful what Bergevin did.
I feel he doesnt get the recognition he deserved (from MB and from fans) - 3rd in all-time points for D in montreal. He is up there with some pretty big names.

Reactions: yianik

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I could have sworn that MSL said something along the lines that he's in it for the long haul when he had his opening PC.

I think the interim tag was applied by management to give them an out if things didn't go well. It was an unconventional hire, and msl did not have nhl experience to leverage a non-interim tag at the time of hire.

There was a lot said, but that was my feeling before his PC. My feeling was that he'd come in and do an assessment, present it to management at the end of the season, and then migrate into something that lets him work from home. Just like Lecavalier. Given what he's accomplished, I'd certainly welcome him back long term. But, it has to make sense for him and his family. He's shown me enough that I'd be happy to have him as part of the fold in a behind the scenes capacity if that works better for him.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
They way he kicked both Markov and Subban out of town was borderline criminal. If you're gonna trade them that's one thing but maximize returns and don't lie to your fans. "Get a dog" should have had him fired on the spot
People shit on Bergevin for the "get a dog" quote, but it was entirely taken out of context from my understanding. If I'm not mistaken, Bergevin was saying that he made what he thinks are fair offers to Radulov and Markov and that he expected them to take the best possible offer for themselves. He said he didn't expect loyalty from players by taking a contract below market value just because they played for the team before.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
People shit on Bergevin for the "get a dog" quote, but it was entirely taken out of context from my understanding. If I'm not mistaken, Bergevin was saying that he made what he thinks are fair offers to Radulov and Markov and that he expected them to take the best possible offer for themselves. He said he didn't expect loyalty from players by taking a contract below market value just because they played for the team before.

That's exactly right. It was clumsy on his part but people have completely misunderstood that quote.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Under MSL...

* 12-11-4 (ranks 21st)

* 13.2% PP (ranks 30th)
* 77.4% PK (ranks 20th)

Check this out, when you filter *Dzone Giveaways* or DZG it paints a pretty ugly but not suprising picture :laugh:
The offensive zone giveaways arent a problem but boy do we like to turn it over in our end

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Check this out, when you filter *Dzone Giveaways* or DZG it paints a pretty ugly but not suprising picture :laugh:
The offensive zone giveaways arent a problem but boy do we like to turn it over in our end

Thanks. This type of style works for rebuilding, developing, and youth movement but at some point in a few seasons, the turnovers need to be reduced. It's not a playoff recipe for success and we also have to be careful with how many soft/undersized types we have. Caufield and Farrell is probably enough

For now, let them play and gain confidence in their offensive games. It's good development but once our NHL roster starts to show promise and rise up, that's a type of style we need to let them play in Laval IMO.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Thanks. This type of style works for rebuilding, developing, and youth movement but at some point in a few seasons, the turnovers need to be reduced. It's not a playoff recipe for success and we also have to be careful with how many soft/undersized types we have. Caufield and Farrell is probably enough

For now, let them play and gain confidence in their offensive games. It's good development but once our NHL roster starts to show promise and rise up, that's a type of style we need to let them play in Laval IMO.
Yeah, anyways giveaway stats are flawed as they arent all equated the same. There's a big difference between a normal o zone giveaway and a Alex Galchenyuk game 5 leafs special delivery pizza :laugh: those are the ones we need to avoid

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, anyways giveaway stats are flawed as they arent all equated the same. There's a big difference between a normal o zone giveaway and a Alex Galchenyuk game 6 leafs special delivery pizza :laugh: those are the ones we need to avoid

Also true so you got to take it with a grain of salt but not ignore it completely either.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
dude...we've been suffering since 94.....it goes way further back then 10yrs, and I wouldn't really call last years finals appearance as a year of "suffering".........or the 1st place finishes or 100pt seasons

2012-13 1st place Shortened season pro rated over 100pts
2013-14 3rd place 100pt season
2014-15 1st place 110pt season
2016-17 1st place 103pt season

Ya, he chose horrible coaches and didn't develop young players really well, but this is not suffering, it sucked, and we had a few crap years for sure, but we also had some good hockey in there also.

go back prior to the Bergevin regime and you'll find some real suffering,

Between 94 and 07, we never finished better then 3rd......that's suffering!!!!
We can finally put these old dinosaur memories to rest. We have bright new management and an exciting head coach.

But, what do we do? Conjure up endless examples of bad trades and failed dinosaurs. I try to enjoy what we have and hope for better days but every page thread is a minefield of past failings. If people need to vent, I get it and to each their own. I’m going to try and move past these types of posts, I’ve had my fill.

Hopefully HuGo trigger better moments.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

To be honest, Montreal is dead last by a fair margin in that category for every year since 2007/2008, there definitely an Arena biais on this one...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad