"I'm not going to be a coach that protects a tie in overtime" Martin St. louis

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
He must be signed long term at all costs, give him a 10 year contract, he’s the best we’ve had in the modern era. Convince him to stay here.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Maybe he can get Markov to come back and QB. The team has some options up front, but they are really lacking a big play driver at forward and a QB on D. Suzuki and Caufield are fine but most of the other options aren't great.

We need a offensive defenseman at the level of Andrei Markov. The day we finally get one the team will take a few steps forward.

And yes I would bring back Markov even if he was 50 years old.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I have been waiting for this coach since Demers was fired by the Emperor, Ronald Corey.

We have had sporadic , limited success , a year here and there with subsequent coaches, but for those all too rare exceptions, our teams have been mediocre at best. Teams built by coaches who micro managed players and insisted on all of them being square pegs. Defence one and only, always counter attack, non possession and FOR GOD's SAKE DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE. Get out there AND PLAY NOT TO LOSE.

Didnt work, this play style. And yeah, BORING.

Martin , Therrien , Julien and Ducharme. Good riddance all of you and may your approach never come back.

I know we will find fault with MSL. But it is fresh air to allow players to actually use their judgement and give their skill the best chance to develop and impact games. Play to win. Mistakes will be made, but learn from it, and PLAY TO WIN. Awesome.

The biggest win HUGO may have, is extending MSL.
Best (only?) way to get good is to be allowed to fail in high-danger situations over and over. And here’s to entertaining hockey, the fasters game on earth!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Dreger said on TSN last night that the Habs would love for Marty to come back, but that the timing isn’t perfect or ideal for him personally, with him having a young family and all. So basically it was implied that Marty will have a decision to make here, if he wants to make a long-term commitment.

Ultimately I’d be shocked if he doesn’t return. The relationship he’s building with some of the young players, and you just get the feeling that this is his team now. Would suck to have his tenure end prematurely.

He's coming back next year and there's many reasons for that but the most important one is that he's in the best situation he could be in.

His bosses are his friends, even Vinny is around the team. He takes a team with very young leaders, full of kids and no expectation for the short term leaving him all the room he needs to build ''his thing'' and do his teaching.

It's more than perfect for him, entering a team with strong leaders, older vets or with high expectation would not be a good scenario right now with his lack of experience.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
We need a offensive defenseman at the level of Andrei Markov. The day we finally get one the team will take a few steps forward.

I'd actually bring him back next year so he plays his 1000 games and coach Barron/Harris/Romanov. He would not play all games and may play 12-14 minutes but it would be good to make things right with him. He was my favorite player for many many years...

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022

Markov was somewhat of a living legend with us, he would have played some more years with us in a diminishing role. Bozovin kicks him out with 990 games played, Markov was so loyal he didn’t even wanna play for another NHL team. What a shame.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Really love we don't have the likes of Danault and Byron starting OT but not really a fan of having Dvorak and Suzuki out there to start so that DVo can take the draw and then change out for CC. You're winning possession but then scrambling to try and get set up as they swap out. Think it was the TB game that it almost burned us as they pressured as we back tracked, maybe if we had a better puck mover back there wouldn't be as bad but teams will have a game plan for this if we keep it up. Suzuki isn't that bad at faceoffs and the more experience he gets at it the better

Reactions: Mr Mom

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Markov was somewhat of a living legend with us, he would have played some more years with us in a diminishing role. Bozovin kicks him out with 990 games played, Markov was so loyal he didn’t even wanna play for another NHL team. What a shame.
I actually view this as a stain on the Habs that needs to be righted, otherwise it remains. It was disgraceful what Bergevin did.

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Love Marty and really hope he’s back. But one thing to add is… there really any pressure on the players or coach to win right now. So it’s pretty easy to say that. It’ll be interesting to see once we’re a playoff team. I’m not saying Marty will shut it down. But there be some defensive structure. 6 goals against vs Ottawa isn’t really that great.

Tampa and Washington were all guns blazing but only won when they added a trotz or cooper went defensive.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Ducharme and Julien protecting the tie (and failing) every time in OT was infuriating.
Protecting the tie??….bro, they were protecting the deficit…..down 1 goal we’d go all out Defence and play our bad players on the PP…..Weal, Perrault, Darche….seen it all

I still can’t believe we actually play offense and push the pace now…..it’s like a god damn Irish Spring bath, refreshing at its peak!!!

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Dont think you absolutely need a real QB, an offensive D threat,
if you have 3-4 Ds that can contribute offensively and put up 30-35 pts, you dont need the karlsson and definitely not the gostisbehere, the overall team offense is what matters I think,

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
MSL is a leader, maybe not the best technical coach yet, but seems to be the guy that gets the best out of his soldiers, understands the game and masters communication

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Dreger said on TSN last night that the Habs would love for Marty to come back, but that the timing isn’t perfect or ideal for him personally, with him having a young family and all. So basically it was implied that Marty will have a decision to make here, if he wants to make a long-term commitment.

Ultimately I’d be shocked if he doesn’t return. The relationship he’s building with some of the young players, and you just get the feeling that this is his team now. Would suck to have his tenure end prematurely.
Well then Dreger don’t know shit - the eldest is in college, middle one joins NCAA in a few months and the youngest (Mason) who was captured practicing at Habs practice rink is off to prep school. Which leaves his wife (Heather) all alone @ home….

MSL might decide to coach another team but he’ll be coaching in the NHL in the next year, preferably & most likely w Habs..

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I'd actually bring him back next year so he plays his 1000 games and coach Barron/Harris/Romanov. He would not play all games and may play 12-14 minutes but it would be good to make things right with him. He was my favorite player for many many years...

and PP coach after that ! Romanov would be so happy

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I have been waiting for this coach since Demers was fired by the Emperor, Ronald Corey.

We have had sporadic , limited success , a year here and there with subsequent coaches, but for those all too rare exceptions, our teams have been mediocre at best. Teams built by coaches who micro managed players and insisted on all of them being square pegs. Defence one and only, always counter attack, non possession and FOR GOD's SAKE DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE. Get out there AND PLAY NOT TO LOSE.

Didnt work, this play style. And yeah, BORING.

Martin , Therrien , Julien and Ducharme. Good riddance all of you and may your approach never come back.

I know we will find fault with MSL. But it is fresh air to allow players to actually use their judgement and give their skill the best chance to develop and impact games. Play to win. Mistakes will be made, but learn from it, and PLAY TO WIN. Awesome.

The biggest win HUGO may have, is extending MSL.
1649296873287.gif

Tiens calisse!!!

And don’t come back!!!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well then Dreger don’t know shit - the eldest is in college, middle one joins NCAA in a few months and the youngest (Mason) who was captured practicing at Habs practice rink is off to prep school. Which leaves his wife (Heather) all alone @ home….

MSL might decide to coach another team but he’ll be coaching in the NHL in the next year, preferably & most likely w Habs..
Seems obvious to me he will coach. He came in to give this a try and it's going as well as anyone could have positively wished for. Players have responded well, the kids have performed night/day in comparison to his predecessor, the team is entertaining to watch even if it loses. All this while having sold players and Price still on the sidelines.
He already did a Freudian slip when answering questions about this team and he referred to next season as if he would still be around, then corrected himself. I don't think there is a question he wants to coach beyond this season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It would suck so hard if he didn’t come back. What a fantastic job this “window dressing” coach has done.

Some of us have been around long enough to remember when Therrien would “protect the deficit” when we were behind…

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Appearently that loyalty wasn't enough for Bergevin. It truly boggles my mind that he wouldn't give Markov 1 extra year but had no issues signing old man Streit and giving Alzner a multi year deal. I struggle to find any logic in that move.

Frankly Molson is also to blame there too. Treating a loyal long time player like he was a rental player looked terrible on this organization.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Appearently that loyalty wasn't enough for Bergevin. It truly boggles my mind that he wouldn't give Markov 1 extra year but had no issues signing old man Streit and giving Alzner a multi year deal. I struggle to find any logic in that move.

Frankly Molson is also to blame there too. Treating a loyal long time player like he was a rental player looked terrible on this organization.
The summer of 17 is what sealed it for me.................wasn't a huge fan of the clown GM, but when he messed up Markov's extension, and then let Radulov go, signed a bunch of nothings, and said the famous loyalty go buy a dog quote, he shot himself in the head that summer....................Mol$on should have canned him that year.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
The summer of 17 is what sealed it for me.................wasn't a huge fan of the clown GM, but when he messed up Markov's extension, and then let Radulov go, signed a bunch of nothings, and said the famous loyalty go buy a dog quote, he shot himself in the head that summer....................Mol$on should have canned him that year.
Truly pathetic that they made us suffer 10 years with this idiot clown. I will never forgive and forget.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2