Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
being too busy at work and too lazy to research but can't the guy sign the max ELC deal with bonuses and suck it up for a year? What am I missing? Is it that much better in the KHL salary wise and perks?

From Staple's latest article on it:

Sitting idle for what could be 10 months only to take a decent-sized pay cut for a year may not be what Sorokin wants, especially as the KHL announced Wednesday that the league plans to start its season in September despite worrisome coronavirus numbers in the country.

Ilya Sorokin wants to join the Islanders, but it's gotten...

So it could be about not getting paid for almost a full year, then taking a pay cut on top of that. We'll see what he ends up doing. Maybe the NHL will get their heads out of their ass and do the right thing.

Reactions: mm11

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Naturally the kid is finally ready to come over, all the stars aligning, and boom all of a sudden the league has some half cooked excuse not to allow him to sign.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
From Staple's latest article on it:

Ilya Sorokin wants to join the Islanders, but it's gotten...

So it could be about not getting paid for almost a full year, then taking a pay cut on top of that. We'll see what he ends up doing. Maybe the NHL will get their heads out of their ass and do the right thing.

thanks PK..... maybe a meeting with his agent and a person no one knows who slips a briefcase under a park bench may work. CIA/KGB style..... NSA if you're watching I'm just kidding for the record

Reactions: PK Cronin

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Is this relevant?

"The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association are expected to push back the June 1 entry-level contract signing deadline by one month, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger. Both parties need more time to negotiate on the possibility of newly-signed entry level players like Alex Romanov of the Montreal Canadiens being allowed to play when and if the 2019-20 season resumes."

NHL and NHLPA expected to push back June 1 signing deadline - TSN.ca

Reactions: The Real JT

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Is this relevant?

"The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association are expected to push back the June 1 entry-level contract signing deadline by one month, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger. Both parties need more time to negotiate on the possibility of newly-signed entry level players like Alex Romanov of the Montreal Canadiens being allowed to play when and if the 2019-20 season resumes."

NHL and NHLPA expected to push back June 1 signing deadline - TSN.ca

Not relevant at all to Sorokin. This just pertains to those players who were drafted in the 2018 draft and had to sign with the teams that drafted them or go back into the 2020 draft.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Not relevant at all to Sorokin. This just pertains to those players who were drafted in the 2018 draft and had to sign with the teams that drafted them or go back into the 2020 draft.
But it specifically mentions Romanov who plays in the KHL and who would not go back into the draft.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

It absolutely does.

The fact that it mentions Romanov means that it is certainly relevant to Sorokin.

Romanov did not have to sign a contract before June 1st.

So it seems to be about both topics

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I think it is relevant. They're specifically talking about players who are to be signed for the season that is currently being played (you know what I mean) and it would burn a year off their ELC's, right?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think it is relevant. They're specifically talking about players who are to be signed for the season that is currently being played (you know what I mean) and it would burn a year off their ELC's, right?

The last time we were in a situation like this was Anders Lee...

Isles were able to sign Lee late in the season - essentially burning off 1 year from his ELC.

TSN is reporting that they are indeed extending the deadline for players to sign before June 1st or they reenter the draft - this alone does not impact Sorokin (or Romanov for that matter because they are not CHL players) - but the fact they are extending it due to negotiating whether or not it is possible for these players to sign 19/20 contracts.

If the league permits players to sign 19/20 contracts for CHL players, then it should for others like Sorokin and Kaprizov.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don’t think there is anything legal stopping Sorokin from signing immediately, it’s all about posturing and getting the most money. He wanted to see if he can burn that first year so he can get more money afterwards. There’s a SMALL chance things change so he can do that, but now he’s waiting to see what happens. I’m sure the contract is already out there for him to sign. And I’m sure he wants to sign it. I think Isle’s fans need to be patient.

I remember when the 2017-18 season ended, and Snow/Weight weren’t fired immediately. I was so angry and impatient, I thought they’d never do anything about those 2. Most NORMAL organizations dump people like that immediately. Lo and behold, the new owners came through, got rid of those 2, and we were rewarded with a winning management team.

If Snow were still in charge, Sorokin would be signed already, with the KHL. It’ll happen, he respects the new management team, that’s why he wants to come over, he knows they are winners. Otherwise he would’ve signed with the KHL already. That’s the telltale sign, that he hasn’t signed with the KHL.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't even give a f*** at this point. Goalie is the easiest position to fill while simultaneously being the most fickle in terms of impact.

I do enjoy the "bring back Lehner" takes though. Classic.

If Sorokin decides not to come over is it really a bad option though? Lehner was better than Varlamov and Greiss this season.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006

The point is that they are extending the deadline to sign players to contracts for next year because they are going to negotiate the possibility that contracts could be signed for this year. Otherwise teams that desire to sign a guy for this year would risk not being able to sign him NEXT year. This extension keeps the door open to burning Sorokin's last year of ELC (or even him possibly playing this year) while keeping the door open to signing him for next year if that doesn't work out. All Cap Friendly is saying is that the extension doesn't apply to guys who have to be signed or they'll re-enter the draft.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If Sorokin decides not to come over is it really a bad option though? Lehner was better than Varlamov and Greiss this season.

It's not realistic. The team has Varlamov under contract for the next 3. You can't have 2 goalies eating up 8, 9, 10 million. The team doesn't have room for it. Besides, the team passed on Lehner and he's still going to want a longer term contract. It's not worth it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's not realistic. The team has Varlamov under contract for the next 3. You can't have 2 goalies eating up 8, 9, 10 million. The team doesn't have room for it. Besides, the team passed on Lehner and he's still going to want a longer term contract. It's not worth it.

Lehner wouldn't be so quick to give a cheap deal this time after how he was treated last time. The only way they get Lehner back is if he takes a cheap deal or if they can move Varlamov...but that's a long shot.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
"Who will be eligible to play if the NHL comes back? Now that we have a Return to Play format determined, will players that have been drafted but not yet signed their entry-level deals be allowed to potentially suit up for their respective clubs?

Dreger: Well that’s not determined at this stage. More discussion between the NHL Players' Association. Normally the deadline is June 1 for entry-level players to sign. But with contract and sliding rules the NHL and the Players’ Association will push June 1 to July 1. And there’s going to be considerable debate over this. The NHL looks at it as artificial opportunity and that should not be created based on the pause. But the Players’ Association doesn’t see it that way. If you’re the Montreal Canadiens, you would want Alex Romanov to be eligible to play in the field of 24 when the NHL resumes. So they’ll be a lot of back and forth on this and the NHLPA is firmly on the side of the players."

Insider Trading: Entry-level signing deadline moved to July 1 - TSN.ca

At the end of the negotiations, might a compromise be that players can be signed to an ELC and burn a year, but they can't play in the playoffs? That would be fine for us.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
"Who will be eligible to play if the NHL comes back? Now that we have a Return to Play format determined, will players that have been drafted but not yet signed their entry-level deals be allowed to potentially suit up for their respective clubs?

Dreger: Well that’s not determined at this stage. More discussion between the NHL Players' Association. Normally the deadline is June 1 for entry-level players to sign. But with contract and sliding rules the NHL and the Players’ Association will push June 1 to July 1. And there’s going to be considerable debate over this. The NHL looks at it as artificial opportunity and that should not be created based on the pause. But the Players’ Association doesn’t see it that way. If you’re the Montreal Canadiens, you would want Alex Romanov to be eligible to play in the field of 24 when the NHL resumes. So they’ll be a lot of back and forth on this and the NHLPA is firmly on the side of the players."

Insider Trading: Entry-level signing deadline moved to July 1 - TSN.ca

At the end of the negotiations, might a compromise be that players can be signed to an ELC and burn a year, but they can't play in the playoffs? That would be fine for us.

Glad you are on the payroll for us Hockey futures minions. Appreciate the info. get r done Lou and company

Reactions: doublechili

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
giphy.gif

Reactions: PK Cronin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad