Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

islesny88

Jan 15, 2020
man this Sorokin kid is a pain in the ass.

Stop thinking like a fan and start thinking like a businessman, which at the end of the day is what the NHL is, and you'll see that everything he's done is justified.

Reactions: mm11

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Per Staple on Athletic
Ilya Sorokin wants to be an Islander. Lou Lamoriello certainly wants that, too. But the pandemic and the resulting desire of the NHL to change a long-standing part of the collective bargaining agreement may mean Sorokin doesn’t join the Islanders this season — or next season either. Or possibly at all.

Lamoriello was asked about the Sorokin situation on a Wednesday conference call and said only: “I really have no comment on that until I know one way or another what the decision is from the league.”
It’s not decided yet, but the NHL has clearly dug in on its view. If things stay that way, the dream of Sorokin finally putting on an Islander sweater may not be realized — next season or ever.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I don't blame Sorokin, Kaprizov (MIN), Scott Perunovich (STL), Alexander Romanov (MTL), Ian Mitchell (CHI), Grigori Denisenko (FLA), John Leonard (SJS), Brinson Pasichnuk (SJS), etc. for thinking that they would be able to sign a contract and play this season, or at least burn off a year of an ELC.

I beleieve there is precedent for that, yet the NHL has completely re-written the rules on the NHL playoffs, lottery, draft, eligibility, etc.

Completely reversing course on everything and, of all things, contracts for this year are apparently the hill they want to die on, which is of course ridiculous.

Bill Daly calling these players "ringers" is moronic. The NHL should want as many able bodies and star power available. The NHLPA should be fighting this tooth and nail.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Now what would the NHL want to change that stops Sorokin? It's understandable that he can't travel to the US for maybe another six months but they can't change the CBA now?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Per Staple on Athletic

Everything about this is ridiculous. This is a blatant screwjob by the NHL.

Lou, the other GMs impacted and the NHLPA need to fight this and win.

Arguably the top-2 players outside of the NHL, Sorokin and Kaprizov, are getting jobbed.

If this costs either team the chance to sign a top player for this season or next, it would be a travesty.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Literally makes no sense. If players from Russia could sign late during a regular season or playoffs, there should be no reason why they can't do it now. Nikita Gusev signed with the Knights last year in the midst of the playoffs.

This is completely stupid.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times, they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Relax everyone, he will sign with the Isles.
h6Yl03q.gif

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
This isn't his fault

It’s everyone’s fault. This situation dragged on and on. He was drafted in 2014...plenty of time to sign a contract. Unfortunately now the circumstances have changed and both parties are getting screwed. But this clearly could have been avoided.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
This isn't his fault
At some point, he needs to stop being such a primadonnna about everything that doesn't go exactly his way.

It's not like an ELC is making him play for free. It's one year at a slight discount versus what he could get in the KHL.

Somehow the Rangers Russian goalie is only making $800k this year and survived.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I just got a copy of NY Rangers superfan, Bill Daly's, to-do list:

- Get hockey going again (done);
- Maximize revenue for major-market teams (done);
- Get NY Rangers into the playoffs (done);
- Make sure the NY Rangers have a guaranteed chance at the NHL Draft Lottery (done); and
- Screw the NY Isles (almost done).

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
There is no way the NHLPA is going to stand for this. This will probably change 50 more times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad