Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

f*** you Daly.

It sounds like the union is going to fight hard on this and I really hope they don’t give in. Makes absolutely no sense. It could only benefit the NHL imo.
Daly is a Jackass. Calling the addition of signable prospects “ringers” is absolutely ridiculous. Especially considering in a regular season it would be allowed anyway.

“So we can tell you the union stridently opposes the NHL’s stance that teams should not be permitted to sign players from their respective reserve lists to 2019-20 contracts so they can participate in the tournament. It is the union’s position, and a quite reasonable one, that the matter should revert to the status quo if the sides do not agree to changing the CBA regulation that is in force.”

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Because Daly is a shit pandering to the big market teams. His 'ringer' excuse is the biggest load of bullshit, there wouldn't be a problem if Chicago or the Rangers were in this situation. I hope Lou shoves it up his ass.

I can’t believe he actually used the word “ringers” insane. You’re 100% right though about the NHL and bigger market/original 6 teams. Daly sounds like a complete moron.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I can’t believe he actually used the word “ringers” insane. You’re 100% right though about the NHL and bigger market/original 6 teams. Daly sounds like a complete moron.

With the NHLPA involved, there's no way Daly and Bettman will get away with it now. Pushing back the June 1st deadline to July 1st is just a precursor. I'm sure Lou has talked to Guerin and Bergevin to make sure they're on the same page.

Daly and Bettman will fold just like Kyle Dumbass does in any contract negotiation.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
It sounds like the union is going to fight hard on this and I really hope they don’t give in. Makes absolutely no sense. It could only benefit the NHL imo.
Daly is a Jackass. Calling the addition of signable prospects “ringers” is absolutely ridiculous. Especially considering in a regular season it would be allowed anyway.

“So we can tell you the union stridently opposes the NHL’s stance that teams should not be permitted to sign players from their respective reserve lists to 2019-20 contracts so they can participate in the tournament. It is the union’s position, and a quite reasonable one, that the matter should revert to the status quo if the sides do not agree to changing the CBA regulation that is in force.”

sounds encouraging eh?

Reactions: SI90

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
With the NHLPA involved, there's no way Daly and Bettman will get away with it now. Pushing back the June 1st deadline to July 1st is just a precursor. I'm sure Lou has talked to Guerin and Bergevin to make sure they're on the same page.

Daly and Bettman will fold just like Kyle Dumbass does in any contract negotiation.

Call me stupid, but if the league does not fold than what? Isles have to wait a year for their guy? I'm strictly speaking from a selfish fans point of view.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Call me stupid, but if the league does not fold than what? Isles have to wait a year for their guy? I'm strictly speaking from a selfish fans point of view.

Sorokin May just decide that it’s in his best interest to sign and multi year deal back in the KHL and I wouldn’t blame him. That’s worst case scenario for islanders.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Sorokin May just decide that it’s in his best interest to sign and multi year deal back in the KHL and I wouldn’t blame him. That’s worst case scenario for islanders.

gotta wonder what Sorokin is thinking at this point or maybe he couldn't care less and is listening to his agent feed him "Nhl stuff" .

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

you mean bend over.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
gotta wonder what Sorokin is thinking at this point or maybe he couldn't care less and is listening to his agent feed him "Nhl stuff" .

according to Trotz, and I see no reason for Barry to lie or embellish, Sorokin wants to and is ready to become an islander and the isles are high on him.

I can’t see Lou not fighting hard for this. Like PW mentioned, Wouldn’t be shocked if Lou spoke with Guerin(Kaprizov)and Bergevin(Romanov) to get on the same page and be in lock step with one another on this.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Not only that, but due to Covid I wouldn't blame any player in any sport anywhere for staying for staying close to home if it made them more comfortable.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
According to Brooks' article, the NHL's desire to bar these players from signing would be a rule change that the NHLPA would have to agree to. So the NHL can't just push this through unilaterally - the NHLPA would have to agree to it. As Brooks said, it's going to be part of a pile of stuff they'll be negotiating. The NHLPA won't just agree to this new rule without getting concessions somewhere else. So, as mentioned previously maybe the most likely outcome is these players being signed to burn a year (win for NHLPA) but not being able to play this season (win for NHL, and perhaps the reason Daly stressed the "ringer" thing).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
According to Brooks' article, the NHL's desire to bar these players from signing would be a rule change that the NHLPA would have to agree to. So the NHL can't just push this through unilaterally - the NHLPA would have to agree to it. As Brooks said, it's going to be part of a pile of stuff they'll be negotiating. The NHLPA won't just agree to this new rule without getting concessions somewhere else. So, as mentioned previously maybe the most likely outcome is these players being signed to burn a year (win for NHLPA) but not being able to play this season (win for NHL, and perhaps the reason Daly stressed the "ringer" thing).

I’d be fine with that as an islanders fan. That gets Sorokin on the team and under contract and also gives Sorokin himself some security.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I’d be fine with that as an islanders fan. That gets Sorokin on the team and under contract and also gives Sorokin himself some security.

I think that’s the players union Plan B but they aren’t going to stop fighting until they rule is reversed and they can play. Just like normal circumstances

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I’m no rocket scientist but the tone of the tweet seems like talking past tense, like it’s the end for him. Which for us Isles fans is a very good sign

The last 4 saves were incredible. And they all show he doesn't quit on what I call the unreasonable save. Great Goalies not only make saves they should, but those that you wouldn't blame on a Goalie. Okay I am ready to step into the Sorokin era. Lou had one Brodeur, to a lesser degree Schneider, and lastly Andersen. It would be hard to top Brodeur, but Sorokin would be a nice #2 on this list. And who knows? He will write the story if he is to become Lou's best Goalie.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The last 4 saves were incredible. And they all show he doesn't quit on what I call the unreasonable save. Great Goalies not only make saves they should, but those that you wouldn't blame on a Goalie. Okay I am ready to step into the Sorokin era. Lou had one Brodeur, to a lesser degree Schneider, and lastly Andersen. It would be hard to top Brodeur, but Sorokin would be a nice #2 on this list. And who knows? He will write the story if he is to become Lou's best Goalie.

I see a lot of peak Jon Quick in him, stylistically and effectiveness. He stays real low to the ice, elite lateral mobility, does anything to make a save. I think that's my strongest comparison. Get this guy here.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm not saying he will ever reach their level, but his playing STYLE reminds me of a Roy/Hasek combo. Just a very athletic goalie who will do anything humanly possible to stop the puck. I agree, once Mitch Korn gets his hands on this kid, he's going to be even better than he was in Russia (not stats wise, fundamental wise).

Reactions: The Winter Soldier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->