Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Couldn’t Sorokin sign a 1 year deal with KHL and then sign with Isles after next season ?

The team doesn’t lose his rights until he turns 28 right?

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Couldn’t Sorokin sign a 1 year deal with KHL and then sign with Isles after next season ?

The team doesn’t lose his rights until he turns 28 right?

i thought it was 27. I’m pretty sure he is a UFA after 20-21. Getting heavy into the details...might have to read the CBA.

the advantage (as I understand it) was that he could sign a RFA deal next season For good money (assuming he burns ELC this year). But if next year is ELC and he goes to UFA the year after then we are screwed. He will stay in Russia.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm confused why the NHL won't allow them to sign him and just have him not play in the playoffs.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The NHL is pretty much just making stuff up as they go along and, most of the teams that would benefit from adding these players, aren't original 6 teams or markets Bettman, Daly, etc. really care about.

The NHLPA would be idiots if they let the NHL void or willfully ignore what has been a standard practice under the CBA in the past. In this case, adding new members and getting them paid earlier and more in the future.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Daly was asked about the possibility that teams would agree not to use the players in question but still be allowed to sign contracts for 2019-20. “We haven’t considered that, but maybe,” he said.

How has this not been considered? I think they could make an exception and allow teams to burn off the ELC, like they'd traditionally be allowed to do, and not allow the player to participate in the playoffs.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
i thought it was 27. I’m pretty sure he is a UFA after 20-21. Getting heavy into the details...might have to read the CBA.

the advantage (as I understand it) was that he could sign a RFA deal next season For good money (assuming he burns ELC this year). But if next year is ELC and he goes to UFA the year after then we are screwed. He will stay in Russia.

he turns 25 in August. The rules state he must be over 27, so in July of 2022 can he be a UFA?

Look there is still a desire to come over here - a 1 year contract in The KHL can still work.

Russia is also getting hit hard and may not have games starting in early September

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
he turns 25 in August. The rules state he must be over 27, so in July of 2022 can he be a UFA?

Look there is still a desire to come over here - a 1 year contract in The KHL can still work.

Russia is also getting hit hard and may not have games starting in early September

Since the NHL season is likely to be pushed back he'd have to sit longer, and sign a crappier deal than he would've liked. Not sure how palatable that is.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How has this not been considered? I think they could make an exception and allow teams to burn off the ELC, like they'd traditionally be allowed to do, and not allow the player to participate in the playoffs.

agreed. No different than signing drafted prospects after their NCAA season ends. Doesn’t make too much sense to me.

Reactions: danteipp

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
agreed. No different than signing drafted prospects after their NCAA season ends. Doesn’t make too much sense to me.

I think they're saying since the regular season is officially over it isn't the same thing since they can't get any games in except for the playoffs. I think they're playing a semantics game when the obvious answer is to allow them to burn a year if they want and don't let them play in the playoffs.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think they're saying since the regular season is officially over it isn't the same thing since they can't get any games in except for the playoffs. I think they're playing a semantics game when the obvious answer is to allow them to burn a year if they want and don't let them play in the playoffs.

especially when you consider this is unprecedented circumstances. Really no reason not to allow it. The NHL could potentially lose future star players in Kaprizov and Sorokin if they choose it’s a safer bet just to re-sign in the KHL.

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It is all ridiculous. As I understand it, the play-in round is technically not even the playoffs and I believe the Isles had Sorokin on their reserve list, as a drafted player. The same for Kaprizov and Minnesota. The NHL brass is essentially ignoring precedent and the rules of the CBA. Complete BS and I hope Lou puts a horse head in Bill Daly's bed.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

The NHL doesn't have a player agreement deal with the KHL meaning the Isles won't lose his rights at any point.

Reactions: barriers

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Islanders fans, New York Islanders fans. Please report to the
Ilya Sorokin thread immediately!

Ilya Sorokin? I'm so sick of that guy! Well, see you in the
hockey discussion place!

When's he signing? Why hasn't he signed?

Such a beautiful day. I think I'll press X.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
LL will talk to him. Set up an appetizing deal for next season, throw a few extra bucks. That's how it's done.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
being too busy at work and too lazy to research but can't the guy sign the max ELC deal with bonuses and suck it up for a year? What am I missing? Is it that much better in the KHL salary wise and perks?

scott99

May 13, 2005
I decline the opportunity to be pessimistic.

He'll sign.
Agree 1000%. He could've signed with the KHL by now if he wasn't coming over. Patience everyone, he'll sign within the next 2 weeks, and be an Islander in 2020-21. Things may change with the new rules implemented right now, they left it open.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Don't know who this guy is, so don't know how legit this can be taken but I want to believe

LOL, I want to believe too! This is where we need Egor. I guess as an Assistant GM of another KHL team he can't comment on rumors anymore? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->