Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I hope the Islanders never draft another player from the KHL ever again if Sorokin does not come over

While I will treat any KHL player as Petrov until they sign a long term deal here, I have no problem with the Isles draft a KHL player in the future...As long as they trade him at the first sign of any trouble bringing him over.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Also given where the NHL is, and is going to be, financially in the short and long term, I'm actually surprised they wouldn't want as many new/young players to come join the league ASAP. Sorokin could be a star and you want those stars playing in a different league when they could generate more interested, and thus money, in yours?

It's incredibly short-sighted.

Reactions: IslesCLT and SI90

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I fully expect him to sign another year in the KHL as it seems unlikely he can even cross the pond for a long time still but the NHL need to sort this out ASAP.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
NHL and NHLPA just announced the issues regarding re-seeding and series length after the qualifying round. Now they better figure out this contract issue ASAP, if they take much longer we are going to lose out on Sorokin

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
If Kaprizov is signing with the Wild that means Sorokin is signing with the Islanders, because that would mean the NHL reversed the rule and they can play. Kaprizov will be signing a 2 year ELC. There’s no way he’s signing and has to wait until December to play and then not only that but he has to play 2 years on a ELC.
Not necessarily, Sorokin could be heading back while Kap' just waits until whenever it possible.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I fully expect him to sign another year in the KHL as it seems unlikely he can even cross the pond for a long time still but the NHL need to sort this out ASAP.

new CBA coming too. Who knows what happens.

so when does he become a UFA? After his 1 year ELC?

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
If the NHL would just announce this rule is being reversed this would be a non-issue. He would sign with us. The PA needs to hurry up though because you have to assume he’s not going to wait around to much longer

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
If he doesn't come over I am also done with Russians and if I were Lou I would be going OFF at Daly over this bullshit.

Let’s just hope the PA gets this reversed soon. Time is of the essence here. The two sides just finalized the reseeding issue and series length so hopefully this issue is next

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
so, what if Sorokin signs in the KHL for a 1-2 year contract, and then comes over? is it all that bad? we were kinda sorta going to be relying on Varly for this year anyway, right? we sign Lehner to a 1-2 yr gig, and all is well.

don't slit your wrists people!

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
so, what if Sorokin signs in the KHL for a 1-2 year contract, and then comes over? is it all that bad? we were kinda sorta going to be relying on Varly for this year anyway, right? we sign Lehner to a 1-2 yr gig, and all is well.

don't slit your wrists people!

Yes it is bad. Lamoriello took a huge gamble by letting Lehner walk in order to sign Sorokin and if he is not over next season it was the wrong move.

Also, I am not sure that Lehner is only going to sign a 1-2 year deal this time around.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
From all accounts I've seen, the Isles preferred Varlamov over Lehner full stop.

The only accounts I have read this is from before we witnessed the season Lehner had though. I would think opinions may have changed slightly after the season. Also, on top of that Varlamov was signed to a fairly lucrative deal compared to that of Lehner's.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Yes it is bad. Lamoriello took a huge gamble by letting Lehner walk in order to sign Sorokin and if he is not over next season it was the wrong move.

Also, I am not sure that Lehner is only going to sign a 1-2 year deal this time around.
we don't know. you guys are getting upset, and I don't think it's worth the self-mutilation.

what if we sign Sorokin to a long term deal, and he stinks?

Lehner said he loved it here, so he is not a bad option, if he chooses to come back for a reasonable amount.

lots of variables. could just be posturing on Sorokin's part, to get a better contract from Lou.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
we don't know. you guys are getting upset, and I don't think it's worth the self-mutilation.

Lehner said he loved it here, so he is not a bad option, if he chooses to come back for a reasonable amount.

lots of variables. could just be posturing on Sorokin's part, to get a better contract from Lou.
All Sorokin can sign is an ELC there is no posturing.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006

I don’t think him talking to CSKA has anything to do with getting a better deal. Pretty sure it just comes down to him wanting to be able to play this year and the league still not deciding yes or no as the PA fights this. He likely doesn’t want to wait around much longer so is starting to talk with CSKA. The league better decide soon though because I have a feeling Sorokin won’t wait much longer

Reactions: SI

scott99

May 13, 2005
My guess, is worst case scenario, he signs a 1 year deal in the KHL. The only reason he hasn't signed with the Isles, is the situation which has been caused by something nobody saw coming. He will sign with the Islanders, but worst case scenario, it might be after next year's KHL season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad