Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
My guess, is worst case scenario, he signs a 1 year deal in the KHL. The only reason he hasn't signed with the Isles, is the situation which has been caused by something nobody saw coming. He will sign with the Islanders, but worst case scenario, it might be after next year's KHL season ends.

Two problems with this, 1 is that his buddy and teammate Kirill Kaprizov wants the same thing as Sorokin but it was reported by CSKA’s president that they contacted Kaprizov to but he reaffirmed he’s leaving to sign with the Wild. So why is that Kaprizov tells CSKA to kick rocks but Sorokin is negotiating with him? Huge red flag. 2nd, the longer he stays in the KHL the more likely he never comes

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
he can sign in the KHL for a lot more than $925,000, is what I'm saying. why wouldn't he use that as leverage?

Lou likely was going to give him the maximum Schedule A and Schedule B bonuses. That combined would have made him around 3M

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
so, what's the hold up? is Lou cheaping out? is there any other reason for the Sorokin stance?

on 2nd thought, ignore me, people. I am in over my head here, not a real contract guru, so i'm just going to shut up now.

just don't kill or maim yourself, that's all. i'll drive up there and we will go for a beer instead!

:thumbu:

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
so, what's the hold up? is Lou cheaping out? is there any other reason for the Sorokin stance?

on 2nd thought, ignore me, people. I am in over my head here, not a real contract guru, so i'm just going to shut up now.

just don't kill or maim yourself, that's all. i'll drive up there and we will go for a beer instead!

:thumbu:

Fact that Kaprizov has said he’s still coming even though the league hasn’t decided yet and Sorokin is talking to CSKA tells me that maybe even if the league decided they can play this year Sorokin is having 2nd thoughts because with Greiss and Varlamov here he likely won’t play and he wants to play. Obviously that’s not factual just a possibility

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Fact that Kaprizov has said he’s still coming even though the league hasn’t decided yet and Sorokin is talking to CSKA tells me that maybe even if the league decided they can play this year Sorokin is having 2nd thoughts because with Greiss and Varlamov here he likely won’t play and he wants to play. Obviously that’s not factual just a possibility

Greiss is gone at the end of
The season. The regular season is over. I don’t see Sorokin basing his decision on weather or not he’d play in the playoffs this year for the islanders.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Greiss is gone at the end of
The season. The regular season is over. I don’t see Sorokin basing his decision on weather or not he’d play in the playoffs this year for the islanders.

Then why is that Kaprizov tells CSKA to kick rocks but Sorokin is engaging them? Just simply tells me Kaprizov is more serious about playing in the NHL

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Then why is that Kaprizov tells CSKA to kick rocks but Sorokin is engaging them? Just simply tells me Kaprizov is more serious about playing in the NHL

because with everything going on there is uncertainty with this season and next season. Sorokin can guarantee himself security by signing now with the KHL. I don’t blame him.

It’s known that Sorokin expected to sign with the islanders after this KHL season. Russian media reported it. Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz stated they believed that as well.

If this was business as usually I have no doubt Sorokin would be signed already.

As far as Kaprizov, that’s his own prerogative.

Reactions: SI

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
If that's the case, if I'm Lou, I tell him to go pound sand and enjoy the KHL, because he'll never play in the NHL. Because of the lack of a transfer agreement, Islanders hold his rights forever, and don't even have to tender him a contract, ever, to keep them. It would be a bold move to simply let him know that they won't ever sign him, and will never trade his rights if he signs again with CSKA, and it's one that I wouldn't put past Lou. The ironic thing is that there's no guarantee that the KHL will start on time -- or at all -- in the fall.

End of the day, just sick of the drama. As great as he might wind up being, there are other goalies in the world - and you know Lehner would probably jump at the chance to come back.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
because with everything going on there is uncertainty with this season and next season. Sorokin can guarantee himself security by signing now with the KHL. I don’t blame him.

It’s known that Sorokin expected to sign with the islanders after this KHL season. Russian media reported it. Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz stated they believed that as well.

If this was business as usually I have no doubt Sorokin would be signed already.

As far as Kaprizov, that’s his own prerogative.

I don’t know man. Kaprizov is the biggest star in that entire league. Like Sorokin he prefers to have a year burn off his contract too but yet even without official word that’s possible he told them
to take a hike. To me definitely seems like a guy who’s more serious about crossing the pond

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Lmfao I saw this coming from a mile away and I’m still amazed. The league so god damn incompetent and yet again we get screwed over. You can change the coach and change the gm but some things will never change.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
That's the issue here, Kap' says im coming over regardless, Sorokin is entering negotiations. The kid isn't coming and if he ever does, unless he's absolutely stellar, hell never have the fans on his side.

At this point, im pretty much done with Sorokin and moreover, im getting to the point, im done with the NHL.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Yes it is bad. Lamoriello took a huge gamble by letting Lehner walk in order to sign Sorokin and if he is not over next season it was the wrong move.

Also, I am not sure that Lehner is only going to sign a 1-2 year deal this time around.

Lehner will probably sign long term 4-5 years in Vegas most likely

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Let's temper reactions. The league has yet to make a decision. Reports indicate they will likely reverse initial perception, see Scott Burnside. Lou has power and money. When Sorokin states he's done w the NHL for good, then I'd give up.

Reactions: IslesCLT and buud

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Let's temper reactions. The league has yet to make a decision. Reports indicate they will likely reverse initial perception, see Scott Burnside. Lou has power and money. When Sorokin states he's done w the NHL for good, then I'd give up.
Id rather be in the boat of Kap' than Sorokin. The fact that Sorokin is even engaging in talks with CSKA is telling.

Sure, could be covering his basis, but the kid is one of the premier players in the KHL. If ish falls thru with the NHL, they will welcome him back with open arms. Ilya doesn't necessarily need to have a backup plan, hes engaging in talks cause hes not 100% invested in coming over.

I have defended Sorokin at every turn, but at some point, the whole i want to get paid sooner rather than later excuse is getting old.

None of Vasilevskiy, Samsonov, or Shestyorkin pulled this.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The difference between Sorokin and Kaprizov is that Sorokin is a couple of years closer to being an actual free agent, so if he’s going to wait another year what’s another 2 or so before he can become a UFA

Daly and the NHL can go f*** themselves

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Either he wants to play in the NHL or he doesn't. He'd still make more money than in the KHL... If the inconvenience of having to wait one more for UFA status is the deciding factor then he should just stay in Moscow.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Lehner will probably sign long term 4-5 years in Vegas most likely

Although I loved Lehner when he was with the Isles, I was still ok with the Varly signing assuming that it was crucial to luring Sorokin to come over.
What a fiasco it would be if that house of cards collapsed and Sorokin bails on the Isles.

As for Lehner, is there a worse place to play than Vegas for a guy with his history?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Sorokin had a spot waiting for him next season. And as it's been mentioned with Greiss coming off the books, Ilya's path to the NHL was there with a clear opportunity, no logjam in net, with a really solid defense in front of him, a great goalie coach with a team on the rise.
If he feels that being closer to home is best for him then I wish him the best of luck and I don't blame him for what he thinks is best for himself. The chance to be an Islander may or not be there down the road, either way, if he chooses to be a part of this team then great, if he doesn't... that's fine. I prefer players that want to be a part of this team. If he doesn't like us, trade his rights to Seattle and protect someone worth keeping.

Reactions: buud

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Although I loved Lehner when he was with the Isles, I was still ok with the Varly signing assuming that it was crucial to luring Sorokin to come over.
What a fiasco it would be if that house of cards collapsed and Sorokin bails on the Isles.

As for Lehner, is there a worse place to play than Vegas for a guy with his history?
An equally big issue about Las Vegas for Lehner is he would still be sharing the net with Marc-Andre Fleury. Lehner is looking to be a true number 1 and get paid like one. VGK and NYI are NOT places that will work for him unless he's willing to concede on money and/or ice time.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
still goes back to meeting in an obscure park on a park bench, have someone meet Sorokins agent with a briefcase of millions. Feed a few pigeons and put this baby to bed. Wet the guys beak alittle. have a good weekend.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
If the reports are he isn't coming over are true, move him and get what you can.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
An equally big issue about Las Vegas for Lehner is he would still be sharing the net with Marc-Andre Fleury. Lehner is looking to be a true number 1 and get paid like one. VGK and NYI are NOT places that will work for him unless he's willing to concede on money and/or ice time.

If Sorokin is not coming over, i would love Lehner back. I dont see that happening unfortunatel . I could see him landing in Carolina, and if that happened i would expect to see them at the top of the division for years to come.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
If the reports are he isn't coming over are true, move him and get what you can.
Absolutely not. Why give him to a team for a 2nd rounder and see his KHL numbers translate to excellent NHL numbers? Then you've effectively given a possible opponent a strong goalie while getting back virtually nothing.

He either plays in the KHL or on the Island.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Unfortunately this saga isn’t ending until the PA announces whether or not they got the leagues rule reversed. That question is how much longer is Sorokin willing to wait? I personally think he’s only going to wait for another 1-2 weeks tops.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The only accounts I have read this is from before we witnessed the season Lehner had though. I would think opinions may have changed slightly after the season.

I disagree. I think a) the Isles got the guy they actually wanted and there's nothing to suggest they're unhappy with him, and b) they were adverse to a long term deal with Lehner, for obvious reasons, and not a lot has really changed on that front.

Lehner is a feel good story, but that ship has sailed in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad