Player Discussion: Ilya Sorokin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
I just don't get why all of a sudden they changed the rule on this

Because when the pause started they weren’t sure if there would be hockey again this season. But this rule they put it in place as no legs on standing, it’s not in the CBA. NHL can’t just change it without the PA agreeing to it. Like Burnside said today; it’s likely going to get reversed or modified shortly, which is great news for us. We get Sorokin

Reactions: PWJunior

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Because when the pause started they weren’t sure if there would be hockey again this season. But this rule they put it in place as no legs on standing, it’s not in the CBA. NHL can’t just change it without the PA agreeing to it. Like Burnside said today; it’s likely going to get reversed or modified shortly, which is great news for us. We get Sorokin

Sorokin is the most important part of this. Just getting him to come to NA, but I'm already reinforcing my wall for the first Islander's fan who says, "Just start Sorokin" after Varly or Greiss let in a softy. I'll be looking to punch holes in things, lol.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I see a lot of peak Jon Quick in him, stylistically and effectiveness. He stays real low to the ice, elite lateral mobility, does anything to make a save. I think that's my strongest comparison. Get this guy here.

I'm going to play dime store goalie coach but can't the league just shoot high on this hot shot coming in??

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Sorokin is the most important part of this. Just getting him to come to NA, but I'm already reinforcing my wall for the first Islander's fan who says, "Just start Sorokin" after Varly or Greiss let in a softy. I'll be looking to punch holes in things, lol.
The Isles are down 2-zip, i'm going to probably say Trotz throw the damm rook in already! (sounding like a Joe from Queens) LGI! Lou and co, get the kid in so we can either heckle him or anoint him already!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Isles are down 2-zip, i'm going to probably say Trotz throw the damm rook in already! (sounding like a Joe from Queens) LGI! Lou and co, get the kid in so we can either heckle him or anoint him already!
This may sound funny, but there are many cases where a team has won the cup with an unproven goalie that got hot. Ken Dryden, Roy, Murray, and lest we forget Binnington. Stranger things have happened than Sorokin coming in and playing lights out.

Reactions: periferal and mm11

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I see a lot of peak Jon Quick in him, stylistically and effectiveness. He stays real low to the ice, elite lateral mobility, does anything to make a save. I think that's my strongest comparison. Get this guy here.

I may be alone here, but the flexible, skinny figure dropping the stick to make a save thing reminds me of Dominik Hasek...

May we be so lucky.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'm going to play dime store goalie coach but can't the league just shoot high on this hot shot coming in??

Yep, that was my concern. Get him moving and he sits low; though the 'toy department' is not a routine shot. He probably plays upright w shots from afar. And surely, he's still raw.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Yeesh, a Hasek/Jon Quick clone. Loved seeing Sorokin's head was up the whole time. Watching the puck like a hawk. Looks like a super athelete. Can he stop a screened shot from the point? You know, the backbreakers that Varly and Greiss seemed to let in too regularly
I wrote on the prior page that he reminds me of a Roy/Hasek combo, but I'll take a Quick/Hasek combo. Not asking for much, All I ask is that he becomes a Hall of Fame goalie ;-)

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yeesh, a Hasek/Jon Quick clone. Loved seeing Sorokin's head was up the whole time. Watching the puck like a hawk. Looks like a super athelete. Can he stop a screened shot from the point? You know, the backbreakers that Varly and Greiss seemed to let in too regularly

He seems to track the puck well. Wonder when the league is going to chime in again.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
CSKA and Sorokin have started negotiating a next contract.
Source:
Есмантович: ЦСКА начал обсуждать контракт с Сорокиным, Капризов подпишет контракт в НХЛ

Translation:
President of CSKA Igor Esmantovich commented on reports about the possible signing of new contracts with goalie Ilia Sorokin and forward Kirill Kaprisov for the season-2020/2021.

"This week, to be more precise, June 1, began discussing the contract with Ilya Sorokin. Kaprisov was also in contact, interested in Kirill 's plans for the future. He said that he decided to sign a contract with the NHL club, "- said Esmantovich the press service of CSKA on Twitter.

The 23-year-old Kaprisov made his debut in the KHL in the season-2014/2015 as a part of Novokuznik Metallurg. In Kuzna Kirill spent two seasons, after which he moved to Salavat Yulayev. In the Ufa team Kaprisov spent a year and moved to CSKA, where he won the 2019 Gagarin Cup. In total, during his career in the league, the Russian played 340 matches, in which he scored 124 goals and made 137 assists. The hockey player intends to continue his career with the Minnesota Wild.

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006
Source:
Есмантович: ЦСКА начал обсуждать контракт с Сорокиным, Капризов подпишет контракт в НХЛ

Translation:
President of CSKA Igor Esmantovich commented on reports about the possible signing of new contracts with goalie Ilia Sorokin and forward Kirill Kaprisov for the season-2020/2021.

"This week, to be more precise, June 1, began discussing the contract with Ilya Sorokin. Kaprisov was also in contact, interested in Kirill 's plans for the future. He said that he decided to sign a contract with the NHL club, "- said Esmantovich the press service of CSKA on Twitter.

The 23-year-old Kaprisov made his debut in the KHL in the season-2014/2015 as a part of Novokuznik Metallurg. In Kuzna Kirill spent two seasons, after which he moved to Salavat Yulayev. In the Ufa team Kaprisov spent a year and moved to CSKA, where he won the 2019 Gagarin Cup. In total, during his career in the league, the Russian played 340 matches, in which he scored 124 goals and made 137 assists. The hockey player intends to continue his career with the Minnesota Wild.

If Kaprizov is signing with the Wild that means Sorokin is signing with the Islanders, because that would mean the NHL reversed the rule and they can play. Kaprizov will be signing a 2 year ELC. There’s no way he’s signing and has to wait until December to play and then not only that but he has to play 2 years on a ELC.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I hope the Islanders never draft another player from the KHL ever again if Sorokin does not come over

Well if he signs a one year deal it basically just means he doesn’t want to deal with the shenanigans that may plague this coming season such as no fans, who knows how many games, ELC rules etc. If he signs for a or more it’s clear at that point he isn’t coming

ziggy7716

Oct 20, 2006

The NHLPA better resolve this fast. I hope Lou is making all sorts of noise today

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Seems to me that "beginning deiscussions" is no more than Sorokin covering his ass if he can't come over. He hasn't signed anything, just discussing things in case the league screws him out of coming here.

IMO nothing will be signed until there's a firm decision on the league's attempt to circumvent the CBA.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I'm at the point when I just want the team to give him an ultimatum of signing with us this year or stay in Russia for your whole career (or until he reaches UFA status here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad