69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Kerfoot Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Shore
Timashov

Not sure what you do with Spezza or Petan.

Scratch and keep them til playoffs. We're very likely playing the bruins again in the 1st round, and all these guys do is interfere and play dirty. Someone is gonna get banged up and we'll need guys to fill in.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
You can probably keep one of Barrie or Muzzin but I doubt we can keep both

I think one of Mikheyev/Kapanen/Johnsson gets moved for cap purposes, Mikheyev depends on his contract ask and if thats acceptable then it's whichever of Johnsson or Kapanen brings in the best return imo

Realistically if you can sign Mikheyev for something OK the guy to move is Hyman since he'd only have a year to run on his contract but I doubt Babcock would agree

I would never trade hyman. Hyman is more valuable that johnsson or kapanen

Not just a Babcock favourite but an excellent hockey player that can tilt the course of a game

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Oh heck no. Why would anyone do a trade for a bad return? The Leafs are in the driver seat for any trade negotiations. They could just sit tight and squeeze by with zero margin for error.

The risk is no replacements coming if a players are injured until the Leafs only have 18 players available. Also, no resting a player who is banged up but not injured. Fatigue will spike.

Recipe for disaster IMO.

If your moving guys in season because you've got to clean up your cap situation the return has a strong possibility of being weak, so poor return or juggle the roster

That's the decision, I know which one I'd do

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I would never trade hyman. Hyman is more valuable that johnsson or kapanen

Not just a Babcock favourite but an excellent hockey player that can tilt the course of a game

He's also got less time remaining under contract before he becomes a UFA, then he's definitely going

So going and getting an asset back while helping the cap situation or he walks for nothing after next season and you've traded Johnsson, Kapanen or Mikheyev for cap reasons this season

Makes the decision a bit more interesting doesn't it?

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
He's also got less time remaining under contract before he becomes a UFA, then he's definitely going

So going and getting an asset back while helping the cap situation or he walks for nothing after next season and you've traded Johnsson, Kapanen or Mikheyev for cap reasons this season

Makes the decision a bit more interesting doesn't it?

I think the Leafs would do everything possible to keep Hyman, even if that means trading another forward. Hyman should be extended to a long term deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If your moving guys in season because you've got to clean up your cap situation the return has a strong possibility of being weak, so poor return or juggle the roster

That's the decision, I know which one I'd do
The other team still needs to pay up if they want the player, or the Leafs say no. So no, it wouldn't be weak.

I know what I'd do. I wouldn't risk running a skeleton roster and burning out my players/risking injury during the regular season in an effort to get to the playoffs, when having the ability to rest players would have been the prudent move. Especially knowing that the only thing that truly matters is being fresh and ready for the playoffs.

But, to each their own.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think the Leafs would do everything possible to keep Hyman, even if that means trading another forward. Hyman should be extended to a long term deal

What?

You want to give a guy that age with a hard nose playing style a long term deal? Woof

Trading young guys with more term on there deal so you can keep the older guy with less term isn't particularly smart

The other team still needs to pay up if they want the player, or the Leafs say no. So no, it wouldn't be weak.

I know what I'd do. I wouldn't risk running a skeleton roster and burning out my players/risking injury during the regular season in an effort to get to the playoffs, when having the ability to rest players would have been the prudent move. Especially knowing that the only thing that truly matters is being fresh and ready for the playoffs.

But, to each their own.

You need to find a trade partner who's willing to pay up and I'm still wondering why they are doing that with us in cap hell and forced into a cap related move

If you can get the other team's into a bidding war going it's going to be OK but I have doubts that's going to happen this early in the season

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Its 9 games into the year. Just saying.

haha i really don’t see anything different in his game from shift to shift. Just plays nice and on pace every shift. I haven’t seen anyone catch him when he springs free either . He’s fast man. We can’t afford 5 like was suggested. I said a few games in Dubas should extend him right away. He is already moved up the lineup and in all honesty he looks completely comfortable on any line 1-3.

I think he is going to keep it up. I would like him to trust his skills more and not shoot from as far out and take it closer to the net in certain situations and thats the only thing in his game I don’t like occasionally. He’s just good

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
What?

You want to give a guy that age with a hard nose playing style a long term deal? Woof

Trading young guys with more term on there deal so you can keep the older guy with less term isn't particularly smart

You need to find a trade partner who's willing to pay up and I'm still wondering why they are doing that with us in cap hell and forced into a cap related move

If you can get the other team's into a bidding war going it's going to be OK but I have doubts that's going to happen this early in the season

He's that good and hes part of the core. By all means every effort will be made to resign him

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the Leafs trade anyone it will be Ceci.

Dubas didn't do all that cap maneuvering this summer just to trade away good roster players to pinch a few pennies on the cap

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If Dubas signed him to a $5,000,000 average are you saying you think thats what you could justify ! Thats to much but the opportunity he is getting will give him some nice stats if it keeps up. He is on pace for 27g/36 a= 63 pts

Thats more production that Nylander has ever had, PLUS it would be done with no PP time, PLUS Mikheyev is an excellent PKer.

If Mikheyev keeps up his play, how is he not worth at least 5M AAV??

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Thats more production that Nylander has ever had, PLUS it would be done with no PP time, PLUS Mikheyev is an excellent PKer.

i like his game! I would rather they front load a 4- 6 year deal on him at a better average right now. Call his agent and say we seen enough, we know he is good and will score with the talent he plays with, lets get term and front load and get this guy signed right away. I always say he is a good style of player anywhere top 9

Reactions: TopCheese

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
i like his game! I would rather they front load a 4- 6 year deal on him at a better average right now. Call his agent and say we seen enough, we know he is good and will score with the talent he plays with, lets get term and front load and get this guy signed right away. I always say he is a good style of player anywhere top 9

That worked out well with ziatsev right?let him play the year. Offer him a prove it two year deal at 2.5 and go from there. If some team give him five or he goes home so be it

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
What?

Unless the Hyman I played with in the gthl suddenly aged rapidly he should still be 26-27.

Yes I understand your point you are making and I understand his style of play comparatively to age. Just throwing out he’s not a old geyser.

I’d offer him a 4-5 year deal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Because the uderlying meteics metrics all suggest his offensive output at it's current rate isnt sustainable.

His scoring will take a steep dive sooner rather than later. Hes still.a great player and likely worth resigning, but his number wont be anywhere near 5 mil

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Because the uderlying meteics metrics all suggest his offensive output at it's current rate isnt sustainable.

His scoring will take a steep dive sooner rather than later. Hes still.a great player and likely worth resigning, but his number wont be anywhere near 5 mil

Is this the same metrics that suggest Nylander is an elite player? If so, it probably holds little validity.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Scratch and keep them til playoffs. We're very likely playing the bruins again in the 1st round, and all these guys do is interfere and play dirty. Someone is gonna get banged up and we'll need guys to fill in.

Or suspended...:sarcasm:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Unless the Hyman I played with in the gthl suddenly aged rapidly he should still be 26-27.

Yes I understand your point you are making and I understand his style of play comparatively to age. Just throwing out he’s not a old geyser.

He's 27 now, will be 28 this January and 29 when his new deal kicks in if we give him an extension

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden

this will likely happen. Its inevitable and is great addition to a stanley cup contender caliber team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad