Ilya Mikheyev

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If the Leafs trade anyone it will be Ceci.

Dubas didn't do all that cap maneuvering this summer just to trade away good roster players to pinch a few pennies on the cap

I don't understand why everyone is soooo wanting to trade Ceci, when the Leafs have wingers coming out the wazoo. I can guarantee they won't trade a top 4 D without one coming back. Imagine trading him and then one of the remaining top 4 gets hurt? Then you would have to blow up the forwards to acquire a Dman anyway, and everyone knows it and will drive a hard bargain.

Let's say you trade Ceci.

Rielly - Dermott (not ideal after a 6 month layoff and never playing regular top 4 competition)
Muzzin - Barrie
Marincin - Holl
Gravel

Now try it with say Muzzin going down. It gets ugly fast, and then you are forced to trade from a position of weakness.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
There’s good news and better news with him:

The good news is he’s an rfa so we have leverage, while Zaitsev was a ufa, rhd, and in dire need.

The better news is he’s a stud.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Is this the same metrics that suggest Nylander is an elite player? If so, it probably holds little validity.

Cute.

His pdo is sky high. Normal is 100 and hes at 108. A regression will come sooner or rather than later.

I mean fair enough if gou you think he"ll keep producing at this level but id suggest you brace yourself for disappointment when it doesn't last

Reactions: Walshy7

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
There’s good news and better news with him:

The good news is he’s an rfa so we have leverage, while Zaitsev was a ufa, rhd, and in dire need.

The better news is he’s a stud.
The bad news is there's NO CAP room to speak of. Unless our Leafs shed some salary, where does his RFA cap room come from? RFAs have been getting unprecidented raises lately.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't understand why everyone is soooo wanting to trade Ceci, when the Leafs have wingers coming out the wazoo. I can guarantee they won't trade a top 4 D without one coming back. Imagine trading him and then one of the remaining top 4 gets hurt? Then you would have to blow up the forwards to acquire a Dman anyway, and everyone knows it and will drive a hard bargain.

Let's say you trade Ceci.

Rielly - Dermott (not ideal after a 6 month layoff and never playing regular top 4 competition)
Muzzin - Barrie
Marincin - Holl
Gravel

Now try it with say Muzzin going down. It gets ugly fast, and then you are forced to trade from a position of weakness.

I'd trade Ceci because I still dknt think hes very good. And I'd wager the only reason the Leafs didn't flip him immediately was because there weren't any buyers.

Though i think if they were to trade.him theyd still make another deal for another D man. So AJ or Kapanen may still be out the door- but theres no way Dubas has any interest in moving them for futures just to save room

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd trade Ceci because I still dknt think hes very good. And I'd wager the only reason the Leafs didn't flip him immediately was because there weren't any buyers.

Though i think if they were to trade.him theyd still make another deal for another D man. So AJ or Kapanen may still be out the door- but theres no way Dubas has any interest in moving them for futures just to save room
He absolutely would because you could trade Johnsson today with no loss once Hyman comes back.

If you trade Ceci and get even one injury in the top 4 (say Muzzin), the D core looks like this.

Rielly - Marincin
Dermtt - Barrie
Gravel - Holl
extra.

The Leafs will have been blessed when they lotto protected the Carolina pick.

They will trade a winger long before they trade a top 4.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
The bad news is there's NO CAP room to speak of. Unless our Leafs shed some salary, where does his RFA cap room come from? RFAs have been getting unprecidented raises lately.

If he continues to play well enough, that’s good for the leafs. If he’s worth keeping then we’ll find a way. The fans are the true voice of this team ever since Shanny has taken over

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If he continues to play well enough, that’s good for the leafs. If he’s worth keeping then we’ll find a way. The fans are the true voice of this team ever since Shanny has taken over
If the fans are the true voice of this team, then, why is Babcock still the head coach?

If the fans are the true voice of this team, then, why does management do nothing to address the obviously biased refereeing?

I could go on, but...

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
If the fans are the true voice of this team, then, why is Babcock still the head coach?

If the fans are the true voice of this team, then, why does management do nothing to address the obviously biased refereeing?

I could go on, but...

This is the make or break year, sit back and enjoy the team and talent you have.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
He absolutely would because you could trade Johnsson today with no loss once Hyman comes back.

If you trade Ceci and get even one injury in the top 4 (say Muzzin), the D core looks like this.

Rielly - Marincin
Dermtt - Barrie
Gravel - Holl
extra.

The Leafs will have been blessed when they lotto protected the Carolina pick.

They will trade a winger long before they trade a top 4.
Top 10 protected they can still miss the playoffs and not have 1st round pick :help:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Cute.

His pdo is sky high. Normal is 100 and hes at 108. A regression will come sooner or rather than later.

I mean fair enough if gou you think he"ll keep producing at this level but id suggest you brace yourself for disappointment when it doesn't last
to be fair pdo is accurate really after like 20 games, takes awhile for it to settle down. But yeah you right.

Reactions: Menzinger

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

id trade johnsson and/or kapanen to keep him based on what ive seen so far, very small sample size though.

Hopefully Dubas doesn't get fooled as badly as lou did on Zaitsev though. 3/4 year deal absolute max

Reactions: Rogue Leader

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
He’s a fringe NHL player that is going to have to play a pretty big role because the Leafs have no depth. No different than playing fringe guys like Peter Holland or Soshnikov.

He’s off to a good start, works hard and skates well. He is not a very talented or gritty player.

Hot take and a half right there...he's top 2 lines on most teams in this league and he's only played what 12 games in the NHL...wait till game 40 when he's really comfortable...embarrassing hot take though

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Cute.

He’s still getting used to the North American ice and pace. I wouldn’t assume regression. If anything the opposite.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
One of Nylander, Johnsson or Kapanen will be gone after this season. They are somewhat redundant given the team’s needs.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017

I could go on, but...
On your second point, they may have complained to the league and we wouldn’t know about it and if they have it won’t make a difference anyway.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Mikheyev was very good tonight. Babcock should at least have a look at Mikheyev-Matthews-Marner. Mikheyev has alot of puck hunger, more size/reach than Johnsson and imo can do a better job on Matthews line if given a look. Not to mention his shot which appears to be very good and is giving goalies trouble from distance.

If im Dubas Im 100% entertaining the thought of moving Johnsson to help upgrade Ceci. Moore is above a 4th line player, imo but he is likely ending up there if no trade is made.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
Maybe his agent was right after all.. I'd like to see

Mik-Matty-Bill
Hyman-JT-Mitch
Johnny-Kerfoot-Kappy
Tima-goat-moore

I get the managing contract stuff blah blah... Deal with the hard decisions in the offseason. It's an easy decision to play this guy in the top 6 imo. Also find a way to get him PP time!

Reactions: SwissLeaf

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
really wish we could keep all our forwards, but alas, its not possible. Sad that one or more of kapanen, mikheyev, johnsson, moore, hyman likely will not be on the team next year. They are all great. But I guess we can blame dubas for that with the dumb contracts he gave to our stars

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He’s still getting used to the North American ice and pace. I wouldn’t assume regression. If anything the opposite.
He's impressed me a lot, but I would be very surprised if went and put up 60 points this year.

I'd bet for around 40-50 now since his hot start, which technically is regression from his pace now, but still a really impressive first season for him.

Reactions: 7even

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->