Ilya Mikheyev

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Curious why people think we should trade johnson over kap?

If we have to keep 2/3 of kap aj or miky who would people choose as their 2?
I’d do AJ/Miky

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Curious why people think we should trade johnson over kap?

If we have to keep 2/3 of kap aj or miky who would people choose as their 2?
I’d do AJ/Miky

Kapanen is as good offensively and significantly better defensively.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If Mikheyev keeps up his play, I don’t see how we can sign him for <5 AAV.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden

to be honest, the better he does the better for the whole team. Id rather someone with extraordinary skills and pay them fairly rather than paying less for a presumably lesser skilled player.

but even if he keeps it up.. id still say 3.5-4 mill AAV is more than fair

Reactions: Hustlr

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019

I think something like a 3.8x2 prove me deal could be done. I mean obviously that number is going to change throughout the year but something around a 4x2 might be enticing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t know why we need to trade people just because we finally have big time depth.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don’t know why we need to trade people just because we finally have big time depth.

That's an offseason decision imo

Unless somebody wants to trade a cost certain top 4 defenseman at the TDL I can't see anybody important up front getting traded this season

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Unless somebody wants to trade a cost certain top 4 defenseman at the TDL I can't see anybody important up front getting traded this season
Agreed. If we want to keep Muzz and Barrie, we might need to move Kap or AJ for a cheaper option. I’m convinced Mikheyev is a keeper long term, ditto Moore. Timo emerging as well and if Korshkov looks a real deal, then we can make a move and be fine.

Reactions: kb

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agreed. If we want to keep Muzz and Barrie, we might need to move Kap or AJ for a cheaper option. I’m convinced Mikheyev is a keeper long term, ditto Moore. Timo emerging as well and if Korshkov looks a real deal, then we can make a move and be fine.

You can probably keep one of Barrie or Muzzin but I doubt we can keep both

I think one of Mikheyev/Kapanen/Johnsson gets moved for cap purposes, Mikheyev depends on his contract ask and if thats acceptable then it's whichever of Johnsson or Kapanen brings in the best return imo

Realistically if you can sign Mikheyev for something OK the guy to move is Hyman since he'd only have a year to run on his contract but I doubt Babcock would agree

kb

Aug 28, 2009

I can't see any real option but trading someone. There is still the roster crunch coming where they will have to at the very least get down to 20 or 21 players. You can only keep 2 or 3 of Marincin, Gravel, Holl, Spezza, Shore Timashov, Petan. I'm not sure that keeping a barebones roster is a viable option with so many back to backs in the first half of the season.

But if they want some breathing room to keep 2 or 3 extras, someone making over $1.4 million will need to be traded. The Leafs are clustered at league minimum and then it jumps to the $3+ million area.

Something's gotta give.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can't see any real option but trading someone. There is still the roster crunch coming where they will have to at the very least get down to 20 or 21 players. You can only keep 2 or 3 of Marincin, Gravel, Holl, Spezza, Shore Timashov, Petan. I'm not sure that keeping a barebones roster is a viable option with so many back to backs in the first half of the season.

But if they want some breathing room to keep 2 or 3 extras, someone making over $1.4 million will need to be traded. The Leafs are clustered at league minimum and then it jumps to the $3+ million area.

Something's gotta give.

Once your through the beginning of the season things calm down schedule wise and unless we get something worthwhile back i'd rather bare bones the roster than get a bad return for a good player

Reactions: Menzinger

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He’s a fringe NHL player that is going to have to play a pretty big role because the Leafs have no depth. No different than playing fringe guys like Peter Holland or Soshnikov.

He’s off to a good start, works hard and skates well. He is not a very talented or gritty player.
Lol

Reactions: Mitchy

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
At this point, if I were the GM, it would be Nylander I'd be looking at moving to sign Mikheyev and deal with next years defense budget. Is worth the real $$$ he costs but not the AAV, which would make him attractive to internal budget teams. Yeah, there will be a little bit of a hit skill-wise in the forward group, but there's so much to fill in among winger prospects that loss will be low compared to the value of maintaining balance. Mik should get somewhere between a Johnsson and a Dadanov contract depending on how well he's done by the year ends, something that we can use to say, lure maybe new shiny toy Okulov to the team next year.

Reactions: coupe93

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

If Dubas signed him to a $5,000,000 average are you saying you think thats what you could justify ! Thats to much but the opportunity he is getting will give him some nice stats if it keeps up. He is on pace for 27g/36 a= 63 pts

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If Dubas signed him to a $5,000,000 average are you saying you think thats what you could justify ! Thats to much but the opportunity he is getting will give him some nice stats if it keeps up. He is on pace for 27g/36 a= 63 pts

Its 9 games into the year. Just saying.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Once your through the beginning of the season things calm down schedule wise and unless we get something worthwhile back i'd rather bare bones the roster than get a bad return for a good player
Oh heck no. Why would anyone do a trade for a bad return? The Leafs are in the driver seat for any trade negotiations. They could just sit tight and squeeze by with zero margin for error.

The risk is no replacements coming if a players are injured until the Leafs only have 18 players available. Also, no resting a player who is banged up but not injured. Fatigue will spike.

Recipe for disaster IMO.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
At this point, if I were the GM, it would be Nylander I'd be looking at moving to sign Mikheyev and deal with next years defense budget. Is worth the real $$$ he costs but not the AAV, which would make him attractive to internal budget teams. Yeah, there will be a little bit of a hit skill-wise in the forward group, but there's so much to fill in among winger prospects that loss will be low compared to the value of maintaining balance. Mik should get somewhere between a Johnsson and a Dadanov contract depending on how well he's done by the year ends, something that we can use to say, lure maybe new shiny toy Okulov to the team next year.

I this Okulov guy any good?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This 3rd line of Mikheyev Kerfoot and Moore is a combined +12, they all have played very well but Mikheyev is at another level, to me he has played better then both Kappy and Johnsson, some of you might not agree with me but that's how I see it

Reactions: hockeynorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad