Ilya Mikheyev

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he gets 20+ goals, he well have the exact same leverage as Johnsson and Kapanen. Except that unlike Kapanen. he'll be arbitration eligible.

Though I'd presume his age would Be a factor in terms of an arbitration case.

Either way, I dont see this as a problem. The Leafs either see him as a player they want to keep - and do just that or they opt not to sign him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This is a good post and I completely agree with you about AJ and Kap.
I'm just liking what I see in Mikheyevs game more than Nylanders right now. It's still early... Nylander can pick things up and Mikheyev can start to slump.
I'm just VERY impressed with Mikheyevs game sense lately so there is some recency bias for sure I admit but I will not be surprised if Mikheyev keeps improving and becomes the better player.

I think Willie has the talents to become a SuperStar in the League, like a 80-90pts player in his prime.
Soupman on the other hand, from what I have seen, is pretty much a great complimentary player.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
I think Willie has the talents to become a SuperStar in the League, like a 80-90pts player in his prime.
Soupman on the other hand, from what I have seen, is pretty much a great complimentary player.

That's very possible.
I just think that Nylanders lack of compete level will ultimately keep him from reaching that level even though he has amazing talent.
Mikheyev I don't think will ever be a point per game player or anything but I can see him being a 30G30A type guy who will be a strong playoff performer. He has the smarts, size, speed and hands to cause opposing teams fits.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Though I'd presume his age would Be a factor in terms of an arbitration case.

Either way, I dont see this as a problem. The Leafs either see him as a player they want to keep - and do just that or they opt not to sign him.
I'm sure age will have something to do with any award, But so will being a superior player, too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm sure age will have something to do with any award, But so will being a superior player, too.

Fair amount of the season to go before hes able to make that case.

Again, I like the player a lot, but I'm wary of trying to make any major contract predictions with like 10% of the season played so far

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Fair amount of the season to go before hes able to make that case.

Again, I like the player a lot, but I'm wary of trying to make any major contract predictions with like 10% of the season played so far
Of course it's early, but a start like this on a smaller ice surface while leading the team by a mile in ES points suggest that he may not be able to be signed for a small increase, nor should we be looking to walk away.

In any event, there is nothing that can be done prior to Jan 1st contractually. Having said that, waiting it out until the summer/fall hasn't proven to be the most prudent strategy so far.

The Leafs will do what they see fit. I hope he keeps up or even improves on his current level of play. The Leafs need these kind of players outperforming their contracts.

Reactions: Menzinger

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My bad, thought you were referring to soup ;)

Nah, and even with Nylander when I say lacks drive and determination, hope we all know they have more of that than most people, it's just the Elite guys have drive to almost crazy levels and then another gear in the POs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That's very possible.
I just think that Nylanders lack of compete level will ultimately keep him from reaching that level even though he has amazing talent.
Mikheyev I don't think will ever be a point per game player or anything but I can see him being a 30G30A type guy who will be a strong playoff performer. He has the smarts, size, speed and hands to cause opposing teams fits.
That’s pretty much what I think too.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What he has in skill and ability he lacks in hunger drive and determination. No killer instinct.
That’s the thing though, if he gets it or at least have it for just a month or so, he can just dominate the game. Imagine he has it in April and May.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
"Знакомимся ближе" с Ильей Михеевым | Национальная хоккейная лига

This is a short interview with Mikheyev on the NHL site in Russian. I have translated some of the main points of the interview here (as far as my Russian allows - I am studying currently). The interview is part of the series "Getting to know up close" and here are the most interesting parts.
  • The interviewers are hoping he wins the Calder Trophy.
  • A Russian media person wanted to help him with his interviews in English, but he declined. He says that he is not afraid of speaking English and soon wants to become like a local.
  • He says that because of the many games in the NHL you must always be sharp and ready.
  • He is impressed that so many fans travel with the team to Detroit and Buffalo.
  • He was asked to describe his first days in Toronto. His answer is that everything is very new to him (including the language). He has never been to Canada before and only a few weeks in the USA. Everything is different here (in Toronto). He says that he is alone and needs to think very quickly. Many of the Russian players around the NHL are showing support to him (by telephone) and he texts with them daily.
  • He had a birthday on the 10th of October. He was asked how he celebrated. He answered that it was game day (my note: we lost 7:3 to the Lightning ... pfff, terrible day) and he had a really quiet birthday party with his family (I guess he means his girlfriend). He says that he doesn't like big loud things.
  • He never expected to be associated with soup and to become the Soupman. He never knows what people will pick up. He was given a soup from the Maple Leafs on his birthday and that is the picture posted on Twitter, but he says it was just a funny picture. He specifies that it was not Borsch.
  • The interviewer continues to tease him about soup and asks him if he has already tried soups in Russian restaurants in Toronto. He says that he hasn't so far and that he is cooking at home. Mainly his girlfriend and continues the joke that he eats soups at home and not at a restaurant.
  • He is happy that his last coach from Avangard Omsk supported him on Twitter with a Borsch soup. He checks the results of his home club regularly, but does not watch the matches.
  • He is asked where he is staying in Toronto in a small house or in a skyscraper. He answers that he is staying in a place (I suppose in an apartment building) on the waterfront; only 5 minutes from Scotiabank Arena (pff ... it's so unreal ... it's just the ACC for me).
  • He is asked about his weekends and rest days in Toronto. He says that these days pass very quickly, because he has to do day to day things. He needs to sort all of his daily things and figure stuff out. He still doesn't have a TV. He watches Netflix on his computer and is watching the TV series "Friends", which helps him learn English.
  • He was asked whether he gets to see the cities he travels to with the team on away games. He says that there really isn't time for that. The Maple Leafs fly and have dinner.He get's to see a little bit, but everything is new and interesting.
  • He answers that his favorite object is his phone. He talks about how many things you can do on a phone and that we can't really live without a phone.
  • His grandmother in Omsk is still not able to watch his matches, because they still haven't set up her TV channels.
  • What car does he have in Toronto? He answers that he has a rental, but he will not reveal what model. He mysteriously says that he will only say it has four wheels.
  • He has already got his Canadian driving license and is very happy that he passed all his tests. He says that there are many differences. For example in Russia if you drink you are not allowed to drive, while in Canada there are allowed drinking limits that you have to stay under.
I had a lot of fun reading and translating (hopefully good) this article for you guys. I hope you enjoy as much as I have. I think he is a bit annoyed with the whole soup thing, but I still think that he is happy with the attention. Let's hope for the best! :)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think the team should talk to his agent about his next contract right away. This guy just plays a nice game in all situations. He reads the game well, smart player, dependabe player, game breaking speed and way better than average skills. Should trust his skating and skills a bit more and take the puck further to the net more often off the rush.

Noting weak in his game really!

Soupie is good

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

This is a short interview with Mikheyev on the NHL site in Russian. I have translated some of the main points of the interview here (as far as my Russian allows - I am studying currently). The interview is part of the series "Getting to know up close" and here are the most interesting parts.
  • A Russian media person wanted to help him with his interviews in English, but he declined. He says that he is not afraid of speaking English and soon wants to become like a local.
  • He says that because of the many games in the NHL you must always be sharp and ready.
  • He is impressed that so many fans travel with the team to Detroit and Buffalo.
  • He was asked to describe his first days in Toronto. His answer is that everything is very new to him (including the language). He has never been to Canada before and only a few weeks in the USA. Everything is different here (in Toronto). He says that he is alone and needs to think very quickly. Many of the Russian players around the NHL are showing support to him (by telephone) and he texts with them daily.
  • He had a birthday on the 10th of October. He was asked how he celebrated. He answered that it was game day (my note: we lost 7:3 to the Lightning ... pfff, terrible day) and he had a really quiet birthday party with his family (I guess he means his girlfriend). He says that he doesn't like big loud things.
  • He never expected to be associated with soup and to become the Soupman. He never knows what people will pick up. He was given a soup from the Maple Leafs on his birthday and that is the picture posted on Twitter, but he says it was just a funny picture. He specifies that it was not Borsch.
  • The interviewer continues to tease him about soup and asks him if he has already tried soups in Russian restaurants in Toronto. He says that he hasn't so far and that he is cooking at home. Mainly his girlfriend and continues the joke that he eats soups at home and not at a restaurant.
  • He is happy that his last coach from Avangard Omsk supported him on Twitter with a Borsch soup. He checks the results of his home club regularly, but does not watch the matches.
  • He is asked where he is staying in Toronto in a small house or in a skyscraper. He answers that he is staying in a place (I suppose in an apartment building) on the waterfront; only 5 minutes from Scotiabank Arena (pff ... it's so unreal ... it's just the ACC for me).
  • He is asked about his weekends and rest days in Toronto. He says that these days pass very quickly, because he has to do day to day things. He needs to sort all of his daily things and figure stuff out. He still doesn't have a TV. He watches Netflix on his computer and is watching the TV series "Friends", which helps him learn English.
  • He was asked whether he gets to see the cities he travels to with the team on away games. He says that there really isn't time for that. The Maple Leafs fly and have dinner.He get's to see a little bit, but everything is new and interesting.
  • He answers that his favorite object is his phone. He talks about how many things you can do on a phone and that we can't really live without a phone.
  • His grandmother in Omsk is still not able to watch his matches, because they still haven't set up her TV channels.
  • What car does he have in Toronto? He answers that he has a rental, but he will not reveal what model. He mysteriously says that he will only say it has four wheels.
  • He has already got his Canadian driving license and is very happy that he passed all his tests. He says that there are many differences. For example in Russia if you drink you are not allowed to drive, while in Canada there are allowed drinking limits that you have to stay under.
I had a lot of fun reading and translating (hopefully good) this article for you guys. I hope you enjoy as much as I have. I think he is a bit annoyed with the whole soup thing, but I still think that he is happy with the attention. Let's hope for the best! :)

Thanks for sharing, this is great

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

First the Bread man then the Soup man. Earmarked for stardom:)

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
First the Bread man then the Soup man. Earmarked for stardom:)
Hah, I never made that connection until now!!! You opened my eyes!!! Let's just hope that his contract is ehhh ... souperb, because we can't really afford bread these days! :D

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Mikey is awesome big winger, fast, good hands decent in the corners as well, excellent surprise. Can we also bring up Korshkov to play on the otherside of this line, he has the same elements in size, hands, he likes to take the body a bit more, when in the oppositions zone in pre season he always b lined it and played right infront of the goalie to screen and tip pucks and he is big with a very low cap hit. Tired of all the small guys getting knocked off the puck always

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
65Ilya MikheyevR9347251994-10-1024
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hats off to Dubas for signing him and bringing him over, he has been so consistent night in / night out. You can't ask more from a 3rd line winger who has done every thing

He really looks like he cares and wants to win!

Reactions: Eye Test

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
65Ilya MikheyevR9347251994-10-1024
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hats off to Dubas for signing him and bringing him over, he has been so consistent night in / night out. You can't ask more from a 3rd line winger who has done every thing

He is such a good player! Sort of stylistically reminds me of Mark Stone

What do people think he is worth on the trade market just for fun and out of curiosity?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad