Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
I guess we'll see. Absent another move, it's Panik or Hagelin to the 4th line and BL to the press box. The results will show on the ice.

I get the theory that maybe this will help "mentor" Kuzy, but the coke controversy and fatherhood have not appeared to have helped him give a s--t. The best case scenario is that 2018 playoff Kuzy shows up.

I'm higher on Panik than most on here, but it still seems like he's trying to hard to fit in and not just relaxing and playing. He can skate, shoot, and seems willing to hit. I'm still hoping for better.

Last edited:
Reactions: koalabear9301

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I actually think this trade is going to work out really well for us.

All he needs to do is pop off and win a round and it's worth it even if that's all he does. And he has the talent to do so.

Last time he played in the playoffs he dragged a Devils team with pedestrian centers, a defense anchored by Bryce Salvador and a 40 yo Marty to a cup final, all on a broken back. Every time Zach Parise gets a direct deposit from his 98 million dollar contract he sends Kovalchuk a royalty, or at least he should

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There's also potential in the room for this to be very good for 8/92. Fedorov-esque for Kuznetsov maybe. Ovechkin doesn't need that but gunning for a Cup with him could nonetheless give him a small extra edge.

Exactly. I said this same thing oh — only a few times — over the last 6 weeks, since his release from LA.

this can be a gold mine for this team.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Putting this in perspective, GMBM effectively used The Montreal Canadiens as a farm team that absorbed the cap hit while he was there, on a due diligence try out for the Caps, and paid them a 3rd for the service. Slick AF.

Agree this may also get back the grounding and influence that Orpik had on him. I expect the Caps try super hard factor just went up some.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Putting this in perspective, GMBM effectively used The Montreal Canadiens as a farm team that absorbed the cap hit while he was there, on a due diligence try out for the Caps, and paid them a 3rd for the service. Slick AF.

Agree this may also get back the grounding and influence that Orpik had on him. I expect the Caps try super hard factor just went up some.

that’s exactly how to look at it. You can’t say the caps should have gotten him for free. Not that I think this was a big master plan.. but it was one of the only ways to work it. Taking him at a league min contract in January wouldn’t provide the caps with much flexibility

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Oh please.

huge eye roll.

we will miss Leipsic’s zero points in the last 15 whatever games.

Some people enjoy sticking to their narratives more than they enjoy reality, what can you do but laugh

Kovalchuk will not be acquired
Kovalchuk is not better than Brandon Leipsic
>>> you are here <<<
Kovalchuk will not play on the anemic PP
Kovalchuk will not positively rub off on Kuzy
Kovalchuk will not point at Crosby as he scores the series clinching goal
Kovalchuk will not raise a cup

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Not really
You don’t like the deal, or you just don’t think it makes much of a difference? I’m intrigued to see Kovy next to Eller. But i must admit i was baffled/lukewarm when i first heard of the deal. Didn’t seem to fill a glaring need (though of course secondary scoring always a need). My questions are, just how slow is his allegedly slow skating; does he play sound 2-way game; and doesn’t he play same spot as Ovie on PP?

On the other hand, i like the idea of Panik playing his natural side down on 4th line. I hadn’t realized he was playing off-wing all year. Plus, as much as i love Leipsic’s hustle, he also makes the occasionally mind-boggling giveaway and is tiny and has an even lower shooting % than Hags and Hathaway, which i had not realized was possible, lol.

Reactions: Pomee

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Some people enjoy sticking to their narratives more than they enjoy reality, what can you do but laugh

Kovalchuk will not be acquired
Kovalchuk is not better than Brandon Leipsic
>>> you are here <<<
Kovalchuk will not play on the anemic PP
Kovalchuk will not positively rub off on Kuzy
Kovalchuk will not point at Crosby as he scores the series clinching goal
Kovalchuk will not raise a cup

I remember Kovie pointing at Crosby. Lol.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Well, the trade deadline has not hit yet. Based on GMBM’s recent interview comments, I still think he will be on the lookout for another 200 foot forward. If this is our team though, then I still like the look of the lineup (if they can wake up and start playing 200 foot hockey again):

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Jake-Kuzy-Oshie
Hagelin-Eller-Kovy
Panik-Dowd-Hathaway

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Gudas

Holtby

Reactions: troyerlaw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad