Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You don’t like the deal, or you just don’t think it makes much of a difference? I’m intrigued to see Kovy next to Eller. But i must admit i was baffled/lukewarm when i first heard of the deal. Didn’t seem to fill a glaring need (though of course secondary scoring always a need). My questions are, just how slow is his allegedly slow skating; does he play sound 2-way game; and doesn’t he play same spot as Ovie on PP?

On the other hand, i like the idea of Panik playing his natural side down on 4th line. I hadn’t realized he was playing off-wing all year. Plus, as much as i love Leipsic’s hustle, he also makes the occasionally mind-boggling giveaway and is tiny and has an even lower shooting % than Hags and Hathaway, which i had not realized was possible, lol.

I am persuadable on the deal. No opinion. That Not Really statement is being taken the wrong way. Its not a commentary on either Kovalchuk or Leipsic. Yes Leipsic gets scratched but Kovalchuk isn't really replacing him. Its Panik who is losing his role and stands to take scratches himself.

Reactions: Heath and troyerlaw

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Well, the trade deadline has not hit yet. Based on GMBM’s recent interview comments, I still think he will be on the lookout for another 200 foot forward. If this is our team though, then I still like the look of the lineup (if they can wake up and start playing 200 foot hockey again):

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Jake-Kuzy-Oshie
Hagelin-Eller-Kovy
Panik-Dowd-Hathaway

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Gudas

Holtby

Only thing that worries me about this is seeing Kempny/Gudas/Jensen.... If we could somehow get Manson+retention for Jensen+picks or prospect, i'd be ecstatic. After seeing Manson ragdoll Tyler Meyers, that would give us one of the nastiest lineups in the league. Ovechkin/Wilson/Gudas/Manson/Dillon/Hathaway....

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You don’t like the deal, or you just don’t think it makes much of a difference? I’m intrigued to see Kovy next to Eller. But i must admit i was baffled/lukewarm when i first heard of the deal. Didn’t seem to fill a glaring need (though of course secondary scoring always a need). My questions are, just how slow is his allegedly slow skating; does he play sound 2-way game; and doesn’t he play same spot as Ovie on PP?

On the other hand, i like the idea of Panik playing his natural side down on 4th line. I hadn’t realized he was playing off-wing all year. Plus, as much as i love Leipsic’s hustle, he also makes the occasionally mind-boggling giveaway and is tiny and has an even lower shooting % than Hags and Hathaway, which i had not realized was possible, lol.

Its clear to me they are looking for that Connolly/Burakovsky down the lineup gunner. Vrana has won the spot Burt was supposed to win but he is not there for the down the lineup mins. The Caps need another source of finish in the bottom six. Hagelin can put goals in like he did today by hustling for them but he really doesnt shoot the puck past the goalie. Kovalchuk can do that and Eller and Hagelin are good enough of the forecheck to great some looks for him. We will see

Last edited:
Reactions: troyerlaw

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well, the trade deadline has not hit yet. Based on GMBM’s recent interview comments, I still think he will be on the lookout for another 200 foot forward. If this is our team though, then I still like the look of the lineup (if they can wake up and start playing 200 foot hockey again):

OV-Backstrom-Wilson
Jake-Kuzy-Oshie
Hagelin-Eller-Kovy
Panik-Dowd-Hathaway

Dillon-Carlson
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Gudas

Holtby
I think Dowd will get replaced by someone. That or Jensen/Gudas/Kempny.

but it’s Dowd out that seems likely.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And Panik replaces Leipsic. You were right on with that piece. I thought Hags would move to 4 LW. But it’s Panik moving there (I had no clue LW was Panik’s natural side...Mea Culpa)

spot on Tex

Hagelin and Eller have a thing going. I think it just took Hagelin a while to get comfortable. Might be Panik looks better next season too. Hagelin scored 2 today and hit a post shorthanded. Eller is a beast. The speed and beast package is tough to match up with 3 lines down.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Only dislike that we're without a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year.

As has been said, on its face, this seems a very low risk move that improves both the 3rd and 4th lines.

Also agree that the retention is a bit fishy. Any RHD whose cap hits are within a few hundred thousand of Jensen's?

Reactions: Ridley Simon

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Wow, slightly shocked
When MTL got Kovy I was completely down on him and the idea of him ever being on the Caps
BUT he's producing, looking pretty good and last Caps/Mtl game he was looking pretty spry and had some jump and still has some skills
So... Welcome! adding a player like him to the mix can really change the dynamics of the team (no matter where he slots in)

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Hagelin and Eller have a thing going. I think it just took Hagelin a while to get comfortable. Might be Panik looks better next season too. Hagelin scored 2 today and hit a post shorthanded. Eller is a beast. The speed and beast package is tough to match up with 3 lines down.
And now you’ve got your sniper on the line. Hummmmm

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I don't see the sacrilege of putting Hagelin on the 4th line.

He'd still get every second of PK time
We still need the 4th line to contribute and he'd elevate it. Beagle and DSP weren't afterthoughts in 2018 just because they were on the 4th line.
His 4th line offense won't be as out of place and could even get better depending on who he's now deployed against.

It's not a demotion as much as roster optimization. He's around Hathaway's level as a player, better at some things and more experienced but Hathaway has better hands now and of course the fighting/hitting factor. Together they could squeeze more out of Dowd.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I honestly don't see why people are even remotely upset about this. Leipsic is a replacement-level player and Panik can slide down to beef up the 4th line. The Caps don't need another burner on the third line with Hagelin and Eller, they need someone who can score. Panik just hasn't panned out yet but should feel more comfortable on his natural side.

This is a no-risk, high-reward move. If he stinks he sits and they gave up pretty much nothing to try and fill an obvious need.
This. Might not have been my first choice, but he's said he wants to win and he performed in MTL. What's could possibly be the problem?

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Only dislike that we're without a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year.

As has been said, on its face, this seems a very low risk move that improves both the 3rd and 4th lines.

Also agree that the retention is a bit fishy. Any RHD whose cap hits are within a few hundred thousand of Jensen's?

Not only Jensen, but, they can also move out one or both of Boyd/Leipsic. We are at just above $700K cap space pro-rated right now. Boyd at $800k, Leipsic at $750K, Jensen at $2.50MAAV. Heck, even Panik could be moved, at $2.75MAAV. You take a 50% retained contract - or close to it - and you can get a really, really solid player. Obviously, those cap-hits are all pro-rated. But, even if a combination of players moved out, we have room to maneuver.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I think Dowd will get replaced by someone. That or Jensen/Gudas/Kempny.

but it’s Dowd out that seems likely.
I could still see Glendening being the replacement for Dowd. I have had my eye on him and Jesper Fast (in part because of their low salary cap hits) for awhile.

I mention this in part because of the Detroit rumors of late and also in response to the question of a potential Dowd replacement. I also just think he adds a plus to all the Caps areas of need: speed, hitting, ace right handed face off man, 200 foot game, and enough offensive ability historically to add something to that line. Yeah, he’s had a rough season on a terrible team, but it also might mean it brings his price down a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Instigator

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I like the idea of Kovalchuk playing with a red hot Hagelin and Eller, and I like the idea of Panik on the 4th line.

Warmed up to this one

Me too. Just today in the deadline thread I said I wanted a more energy player to pair with 62/20 and move Panik down to 4th line to replace Leppers. This seems to be exactly what we;re getting, so I like it. SHould be our optimal forward lineup, all four lines could score. If 62/20 continue their hot streak, Kovy could be the beneficiary of a shit ton of scoring chances that Panik never got himself in position for. And ther 4th line has stopped scoring entirely for two months so putting Panik there for Leps changes nothing in terms of their current output, it can only go up from there.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I was anti Kovalschmuk 6 weeks ago, but since the Caps seem more worried about passing lately, it'll be good to have a sniper on the 3rd line who likes to score. Plus, this is his last chance to compete for a cup so he'll be motivated. I'm less concerned about this than the status of Komrade Kuzy.

Can I still call him Kovalschmuk?

Too late.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see the sacrilege of putting Hagelin on the 4th line.

He'd still get every second of PK time
We still need the 4th line to contribute and he'd elevate it. Beagle and DSP weren't afterthoughts in 2018 just because they were on the 4th line.
His 4th line offense won't be as out of place and could even get better depending on who he's now deployed against.

It's not a demotion as much as roster optimization. He's around Hathaway's level as a player, better at some things and more experienced but Hathaway has better hands now and of course the fighting/hitting factor. Together they could squeeze more out of Dowd.
Panik has been playing on his off wing. So really it’s him or Hags at 3LW, and the other at 4LW.

as well as Hags and Eller are playing together, I’d do Hags w Eller.

just need a new 4C with what little space we have left.

8 - 92 - 43
13 - 19 - 77
62 - 20 - 17 (Kovy)
14 - XX - 21

wow?

Reactions: Heath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad