Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Kovy was a really good, top ten NHL'er player, in 2012. Also rumor is he is really 38 not 36 so there is that as well. ;)

If you were under the impression that we got a top 10 player for a 3rd round pick and a big night out's worth of cap hit then I could see how you'd be disappointed.

Hopefully he's really 45 so he can shame the majority of our team that's in worse shape than he is

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I would have rather went for Pageau or heck Athansiou would have been better in my mind.

This a nothing move for a guy with a big name. The positive, it cost them nothing.

Athanasiou is objectively worse than Kovalchuk lol. The guy is everything you want to shed before the playoffs

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I honestly don't see why people are even remotely upset about this. Leipsic is a replacement-level player and Panik can slide down to beef up the 4th line. The Caps don't need another burner on the third line with Hagelin and Eller, they need someone who can score. Panik just hasn't panned out yet but should feel more comfortable on his natural side.

This is a no-risk, high-reward move. If he stinks he sits and they gave up pretty much nothing to try and fill an obvious need.

A well reasoned post.

Should make for a pretty good third line.

Will upgrade the fourth line, especially with Panik playing on his natural wing.

If it doesn’t work out, you go back to what you had.

I’m coming around on this deal.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Hard to be upset with a clear upgrade on Panik in the top 9. Let’s see if they’re done or not.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I like the idea of Kovalchuk playing with a red hot Hagelin and Eller, and I like the idea of Panik on the 4th line.

Warmed up to this one
There's also potential in the room for this to be very good for 8/92. Fedorov-esque for Kuznetsov maybe. Ovechkin doesn't need that but gunning for a Cup with him could nonetheless give him a small extra edge.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Yup. Not upset with this at all. Not jumping for joy either, though. I like the idea of him on 3rd line and moving Panik down. Both bottom 6 lines just got better. The caps just need to tighten things up systematically and then they are legit contenders (tho I am skeptical they can...)
Their next move, if anything is to upgrade Jensen

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
There's also potential in the room for this to be very good for 8/92. Fedorov-esque for Kuznetsov maybe. Ovechkin doesn't need that but gunning for a Cup with him could nonetheless give him a small extra edge.
I do wonder if part of this isn’t designed to help Kuzy get his head out of his ass. Kovy has had 1 deep playoff run in 14 NHL seasons. Maybe he has some hunger, and maybe it will rub off on Kuzy, who is playing like he doesn’t really care if he eats again or not

Reactions: troyerlaw

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Welp, come Tuesday I will be cheering for him. That's all I got at this point.

A well reasoned post.

Should make for a pretty good third line.

Will upgrade the fourth line, especially with Panik playing on his natural wing.

If it doesn’t work out, you go back to what you had.

I’m coming around on this deal.

First off, I really like your updated Avatar Sam:thumbu:

Secondly, I've been able to watch Kovy quite a bit during his time with the Habs. Forget about what you saw in L.A. The man turned back the clock on Father Time while in Montreal. He was one of the few reasons they were still sniffing at a playoff spot until Weber went down a few weeks ago. I think if he has a speedy player on his line who can retrieve pucks, he's still a depth weapon for your already formidable squad.

FWIW, HF Habs are really hoping he comes back as a FA, that's how much they think of him. I've been doing GDT's for them so I have some sense of their feelings.

Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad