Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

Jun 15, 2007
I think the Caps were already the oldest team before this right?

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
See - I’m an idiot. Who would ever believe anything I say.
FWIW (and mods this is about my skills - or total lack thereof - at prognosticating rather than about politics, but do what you have to do) I also believe that Bernie couldn’t possibly win the general if he gets the nod. The message here is ignore me

Reactions: troyerlaw

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand he can’t be worse than Panik on the third line. On the other hand he doesn’t really solve any of our problems.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Does nothing for this team except disrupt a tight clubhouse. I guarantee Kovy didn't want to leave MTL as he appeared to love it there.

They gave up nothing but I am not a fan.

I am sure he's super bummed to be leaving a place where he's grown roots for the last, *checks notes,* two months and has to leave to play with Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Samsonov, and the rest of the Capitals as they try to win another Stanley Cup.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
AHAHA! "Are you not entertained?!"

If Reirden still has any hair left, he's going to lose it by summer.

NHL also needs to instruct the refs to ensure Caps get to at least the 2nd round, for show business purposes.

I don't know how the hell Kovy fits with this team, other than he'll probably play hard for a chance at the Cup -- but I'm definitely switching into "just enjoy the ride" mode.

At this point, by all means continue the insanity. Get Hunter back here to lead the Ovy-Kuzy-Kovy defensive juggernaut!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I honestly don't see why people are even remotely upset about this. Leipsic is a replacement-level player and Panik can slide down to beef up the 4th line. The Caps don't need another burner on the third line with Hagelin and Eller, they need someone who can score. Panik just hasn't panned out yet but should feel more comfortable on his natural side.

This is a no-risk, high-reward move. If he stinks he sits and they gave up pretty much nothing to try and fill an obvious need.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think the Caps were already the oldest team before this right?

Surprisingly no:

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 8.54.43 PM.png

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I am sure he's super bummed to be leaving a place where he's grown roots for the last, *checks notes,* two months and has to leave to play with Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Samsonov, and the rest of the Capitals as they try to win another Stanley Cup.

I guess you are correct seeing some of the tweets I just don't like the deal because it changes nothing, unless (god forbid) an important player gets hurt. And even then, watching almost all of Kovy's games this season, he is not good and REALLY slow. Like he could never play with Backstrom slow.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The only place he can slot in is with Eller and Hags, because they can cover for him defensively. He takes Leipsic’s place on pp2 (which hasn’t made sense for months) and now Panik fights with Leipsic for the last forward spot.

But would I rather see Athanasiou than Kovy slotting in there - you bet. Here’s hoping Kovy becomes twilight of his career playoff performer Alexander Mogilny

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Jesus some of these takes are beyond terrible. Makes me wonder how many people here would think nothing of Ovechkin if he spent his career in a different jersey

Kovy was a really good, top ten NHL'er player, in 2012. Also rumor is he is really 38 not 36 so there is that as well. ;)

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Probably another Mike Richards (Player that use to be good dropping the ball).

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Jesus some of these takes are beyond terrible. Makes me wonder how many people here would think nothing of Ovechkin if he spent his career in a different jersey

No, it's a matter of being stuck in some mud and then getting a beautiful classic Ferrari to help the cause. You can appreciate the Ferrari and still ask some questions about the move, lol.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I guess you are correct seeing some of the tweets I just don't like the deal because it changes nothing, unless (god forbid) an important player gets hurt. And even then, watching almost all of Kovy's games this season, he is not good and REALLY slow. Like he could never play with Backstrom slow.

I mean I just don't see the downside. This isn't a huge trade that's going to cause a big contributor or a beloved locker room guy to sit and they're not shipping anyone out so I don't get the argument that it could rattle the locker room. He and Ovi are really close. He still has a missile for a shot and yeah he's not exactly fast but his lack of speed should be covered up by Hagelin and Eller. They're not shipping out a 1st or a high-end prospect on a boom-or-bust rental. He is what they needed and that's bottom six scoring depth. And, who knows, maybe he adds a new wrinkle to their PP?

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
The only place he can slot in is with Eller and Hags, because they can cover for him defensively. He takes Leipsic’s place on pp2 (which hasn’t made sense for months) and now Panik fights with Leipsic for the last forward spot.

But would I rather see Athanasiou than Kovy slotting in there - you bet. Here’s hoping Kovy becomes twilight of his career playoff performer Alexander Mogilny
I also wanted AA. I think his speed could really help us. Maybe the price was just too high.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
He's in incredible shape, physical when engaged, faster/better skater than Oshie (for the no legs crowd), and a dual passing/shooting threat. Just him being on the ice draws attention. Also playing less this year than everyone else will show itself in the playoffs in a big way. But yeah I guess he doesn't have the shutdown talents of [checks notes] renowned Stanley cup winning shutdown wingers Brett Connolly and Andre Burakovsky

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I mean I just don't see the downside. This isn't a huge trade that's going to cause a big contributor or a beloved locker room guy to sit and they're not shipping anyone out so I don't get the argument that it could rattle the locker room. He and Ovi are really close. He still has a missile for a shot and yeah he's not exactly fast but his lack of speed should be covered up by Hagelin and Eller. They're not shipping out a 1st or a high-end prospect on a boom-or-bust rental. He is what they needed and that's bottom six scoring depth. And, who knows, maybe he adds a new wrinkle to their PP?

I would have rather went for Pageau or heck Athansiou would have been better in my mind.

This a nothing move for a guy with a big name. The positive, it cost them nothing.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad