Player Discussion IIHF U18's Thread

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t agree with whoever suggested to any of those shooters that they all try to stick handle the puck into the Russian net. Nobody shot until Boldy at the end.

Reactions: Jim Bob

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
How far can Poldkozin drop? I don't see him going in the top 10. Which sucks because I wanted as much choice at 7 between Turcotte/Krebs/Caufield/Cozens. I personally wouldn't take Caufield over any of those other 3.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Inexcusable to lose in the semifinals with a team of that caliber. Hughes, Caufield, Zegras, Turcotte, York, Knight, Bobby Brink, and Boldy were on that team! Best U18 team in years and they just couldn’t pull it off. Inexcusable.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Krebs has looked awful the last few times he has had the puck. A bit selfish then very risky passes.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Krebs has looked awful the last few times he has had the puck. A bit selfish then very risky passes.
He definitely struggled at the end of the game in the decision making aspect. Just tried to force it which led to some brutal giveaways in he offensive zone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The refs jobbed Canada pretty good that game. Guess you have to have the home team in the finals.

Eh, I thought Canada did themselves no favors on some of those calls. And TSN moaning about the play right before the GWG... the guy finished a check in the corner. If that had been the other way, it would've been all the usual Cherry-esque "good Canadian lads, playing hockey the right way".

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Eh, I thought Canada did themselves no favors on some of those calls. And TSN moaning about the play right before the GWG... the guy finished a check in the corner. If that had been the other way, it would've been all the usual Cherry-esque "good Canadian lads, playing hockey the right way".
And if that was Team USA there would be a lot of complaining on this board right now.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Krebs is good, but I’m not sure I’d take him in the top 5. The only thing that’s clear to me is Hughes is miles above the rest of these guys, not even comparable.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Krebs is good, but I’m not sure I’d take him in the top 5. The only thing that’s clear to me is Hughes is miles above the rest of these guys, not even comparable.

I think a lot of people are going to look at this tournament and decide Rees is Krebs-light and there might be more of a willingness to take Rees in the 2nd than go earlier on Krebs.

Reactions: 1972

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Caufleids ability to win puck battles is downright terrible. I think you are purely looking at a sharp shooter in the NHL with him.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think a lot of people are going to look at this tournament and decide Rees is Krebs-light and there might be more of a willingness to take Rees in the 2nd than go earlier on Krebs.

Krebs to me is a lot like Tyson Jost in 2016. Does lots of things well has the leadership as well, but doesn’t really have the upside of a top 5 guy. Good skater, good hands, good shot, good vision but nothing great.

I know some talk about him as a better skating Reinhart, but at that age Reinharts vision poise and hockey smarts were miles ahead IMO.

What Krebs is is a very safe prospect, a guy who might never be a star but will play in your top 6. He’d definitely be in the mix for me at 7, I just think other guys have better upside.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Caufleids ability to win puck battles is downright terrible. I think you are purely looking at a sharp shooter in the NHL with him.

Yep he gets muscled off almost every puck battle.

What a play by Hughes! Amazing goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad